WeeGee

knitwit45

WeeGee

Post by knitwit45 »

I saw some photographs yesterday at the Nelson Art Gallery in Kansas City, and one of them was taken by "WeeGee". His book was the basis of "The Naked City" Here's a link to an article and video about him:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2007 ... ?th&emc=th

He was named WeeGee after the Ouija board, because of his uncanny ability to be first on the scene of a crime. Weird little guy!

Thought you noir fans would enjoy this.

Nancy
Last edited by knitwit45 on June 20th, 2008, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks very much for posting this Nancy. WeeGee fascinates and repels me but after poring over his work in book form when researching Mark Hellinger some months ago, I think his chronicle of the sordid, sweaty and at times, curiously beautiful compositions of the world of working class New Yorkers of his time is invaluable, just as the work of Jacob Riis was a generation earlier when he photographed the world of the tenements.

What is it about black and white photography that makes it seemingly able to catch the inner life of its subjects so lovingly?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

The Nelson Galleries just acquired 5000 black and white photos from the Kemper collection, makes the totals 7,500. One or two date back to 1839!

So many are of the Depression era, and are absolutely overpowering in their stark beauty. There are many famous photographers represented, and happily, the exhibit is permanent, and the photos will be rotated slowly over time.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard