You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)

Mr. Arkadin

You Can't Get Away With Murder (1939)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Coming up early Sunday morning. It's been a long time since I've seen this one. I'm not sure if TCM has ever shown it, so get the recorders ready to roll.

Dead End Kid leader Billy Halop falls into crime with vicious killer Humphrey Bogart. As life unravels for the pair, Halop's character is caught between the dishonorable act of letting an innocent man go to the chair or squealing on his new pal. A great film.
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

I like this one, too. It's based on a play and its stage origin comes through occasionally. But it's still an engrossing and suspenseful movie. TCM has played this film in the past (though not frequently) and it contains a great hardboiled characterization by Bogie. In fact, I remember a reviewer writing that Bogart is so good in the film it's no wonder he became typecast as a gangster. Billy Halop also delivers an effective performance as Bogart's protege - a kid haunted by his conscience. I'm sure it will eventually be released on DVD in a future Warner's Gangster set. And maybe alongside "King of the Underworld" and "The Big Shot".
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Unfortunately, I fell asleep about half-way through. I liked the relationship between Bogie and the kid. I'll try to catch it next time it airs.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers