Deadly Noir Dames

ken123

Deadly Noir Dames

Post by ken123 »

Who is your favorite and why ?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A panther on the prowl for something -- anything -- better, ready to eviscerate anyone who gets in her way, including the poor sap who loves her. A straight-shooter who exudes sensuality and sexuality -- both feminine and masculine. Every man's dream and nightmare.

Peggy Cummins as Annie Laurie Starr in GUN CRAZY.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
vallo

Post by vallo »

Another true "bad girl" Audrey Totter. Name a 'noir that she didn't make better. I was watching " The Unsuspected" and she basically stole the film from Claude Rains. ( which is a hard thing to do) She was also great in "The Set-up" with Robert Ryan and "Tension " with Richard Basehart and or course Robert Mongomery's "Lady in the Lake".

Bill
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

To add alongside Peggy Cummins from GUN CRAZY would be:
ANN SAVAGE in DETOUR. Every hitchhiker's worst nightmare. A woman with no redeeming qualities and a voice like fingernails on a blackboard.
JEAN GILLIE in DECOY. Part of what makes her bravura performance so unique and memorable is the fact that she died not too long after making this film leaving us to only speculate what might have come later.
JANE GREER in OUT OF THE PAST. Just when you think there might be just a shred of goodness...
GABY RODGERS in KISS ME DEADLY. Scary, scary, scary! It literally takes an atomic explosion to finish her off.
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

ChiO wrote:A panther on the prowl for something -- anything -- better, ready to eviscerate anyone who gets in her way, including the poor sap who loves her. A straight-shooter who exudes sensuality and sexuality -- both feminine and masculine. Every man's dream and nightmare.

Peggy Cummins as Annie Laurie Starr in GUN CRAZY.
What he said.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

I'd give my two nods to Liz Scott in "Too Late for Tears" and my fave double-dealing dame Marie Windsor in "The Killing".
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I'd have to say the one, the only, the be-all and end-all:

JANE GREER.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to agree with cinemaven and say Jane Greer. She is so beautiful she makes a great two timing dame. The funny think is though, her beauty is so special. She looks so soft and feminine, like she needs a strong man to care for her. In Out of the Past when Mitchum sees her for the first time in that gorgeous white linen suit and big picture frame hat, she looks like a little girl lost. Mitchum is drawn into that aura immediately, just as Kirk Douglas had been. It's not until she decides to take charge that they find out just how much of a ***ch she is and that's when her face takes on a whole new look. Somehow her eyes harden, and her chin sets, and she almost looks like a different person, still beautiful, but more dedicated to something.

She could have gone so high if left alone to grow on the screen.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree, Jane Greer in "Out of the Past" (1947) is the epitome of the double crosser, deadly female. She's beautiful and so dangerous.

Barbara Stanwyck in "Double Indemnity" (1944) is superb!
melwalton

deadly female

Post by melwalton »

Patty McCormack in the bad seed. .... mel
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

mrsl wrote:I have to agree with cinemaven and say Jane Greer. She is so beautiful she makes a great two timing dame. The funny think is though, her beauty is so special. She looks so soft and feminine, like she needs a strong man to care for her. In Out of the Past when Mitchum sees her for the first time in that gorgeous white linen suit and big picture frame hat, she looks like a little girl lost. Mitchum is drawn into that aura immediately, just as Kirk Douglas had been. It's not until she decides to take charge that they find out just how much of a ***ch she is and that's when her face takes on a whole new look. Somehow her eyes harden, and her chin sets, and she almost looks like a different person, still beautiful, but more dedicated to something.

She could have gone so high if left alone to grow on the screen.

Anne
I agree with everyone about Jane Greer... she is not only beautiful, girlish, determined and ruthless. She also seems very disturbed. I thought her character was so fascinating, I couldn't take my eyes off her.