The Missing Juror (1944)

MissGoddess

The Missing Juror (1944)

Post by MissGoddess »

Has anyone seen this early entry by director Budd Boetticher? Going over the schedule
for October, I saw it listed and wondered if it were worth recording. It airs October 8th,
at 4:45 a.m. EST.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=83632
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Re: The Missing Juror (1944)

Post by Dewey1960 »

A very so-so mystery with relatively few noir elements. But, like most films from this period and of this style, it is certainly (at the very least) worth recording.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, Dewey.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"A very so-so mystery with relatively few noir elements. But, like most films from this period and of this style, it is certainly (at the very least) worth recording." - Dewey1960.

So-so??? Why my Dewey, my good man...JANIS CARTER is in it. Tsk! Tsk!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The lovely and talented CineMaven opined: So-so??? Why Dewey, my good man...JANIS CARTER is in it. Tsk! Tsk!
Yes, and Elizabeth Taylor was in CLEOPATRA. I guess the point is that even wildly talented performers are capable of landing themselves in mediocre entertainments, especially during the so-called golden days of the studio system. I would never recommend someone not see a film for any particular reason but, on the other hand, it seems unrealistic to assume that because a performer we like (in this case the usually wonderful Janis Carter) is featured in the cast, the film's overall quality is automatically upgraded. One big problem with THE MISSING JUROR (for me) is that Miss Carter isn't called upon to do what she does best: make everyone's existence a living nightmare. Which isn't to say that simply because she's not the antagonist (George Macready handles that chore here) she isn't capable of delivering an interesting performance. She's terrific in POWER OF THE WHISTLER (from the same studio and roughly the same year) where she's menaced nearly into oblivion by a deranged psychopath (Richard Dix). Now that's entertainment!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Okay Mr. 1960. You've made a good argument. 'Just b'cuz someone we like is in a motion picture doesn't make the movie good.' I understand that...intellectually. Many of a fave of mine have appeared in clunkers. And while I was watching, I knew the film was a clunker. (Let's not pick on La Liz, okay? If you wanna pick on someone, pick on Diane Keaton). But isn't that better than watching a clunker that doesn't have someone you like in it???

Okay, okay...you got me. I've got no argument.

But I'm going to go rogue here and confess that I'll always watch "Butterfield 8."

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:Okay Mr. 1960. You've made a good argument. 'Just b'cuz someone we like is in a motion picture doesn't make the movie good.' I understand that...intellectually. Many of a fave of mine have appeared in clunkers. And while I was watching, I knew the film was a clunker. (Let's not pick on La Liz, okay? If you wanna pick on someone, pick on Diane Keaton). But isn't that better than watching a clunker that doesn't have someone you like in it???

hahahahahahaaa!! I TOTALLY agree (Exhibit A: Natalie Wood in Penelope---love it!)

But I'm going to go rogue here and confess that I'll always watch "Butterfield 8."

Put me in that rogues gallery because I LOVE that movie (more than I should)!! It's the perfect
mother-daughter movie!

"Let's face it Mama, I was the TRAMP of all time!" :lol: :lol:
-- Will Rogers
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Everyone's favorite MAVEN sez: Okay, okay...you got me. I've got no argument.
Maybe you got no argument, but you DO have the passion, and that's what counts in the end. And, in fact, you do have an argument, since any discussion about film ultimately resides in the realm of subjective reasoning. It's like that guy in OUT OF THE PAST who says to Mitchum, "Everybody''s right."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Ms. G.,

#1. Aaaaaah "Butterfield 8." Love when she grinds that stiletto into Harvey's foot as he holds her tighter. But for true S & M pleasure you've got to catch the great Karloff in "The Black Cat" (1934). That art deco set, the outfits Karloff wore...(that dinner jacket was DIVINE!!!) NOW you're talkin'!! Oh...no one was talkin' about S &M. Nevermind. My Asperger's kicked in.

#2. Dewey,

I LOVE that guy in "OUT OF THE PAST". He didn't sound like he was an actor. Dead pan...dry.

"Maybe you got no argument, but you DO have the passion, and that's what counts in the end."

So do I get the job Mr. Ziegfeld...helping you plan next year's Noir Fest; selling popcorn or Raisinettes?? Or talking movies. It might be fun. The Roxie must be ten times bigger than our NYC's FILM FORUM. Whaddya say?

In the end folks, I'm just advocating for watching "The Missing Juror." It might be so-so, and Janis Carter is no Janis Paige, I mean Patti Paige, I mean Patty Duke, I mean the Duke of Earl...I mean Judi Dench. But it's a good ol' fashioned Hollywood "B" movie...and we love those.

T.Ma've. ;-)

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Quoth the Maven: So do I get the job Mr. Ziegfeld...helping you plan next year's Noir Fest; selling popcorn or Raisinettes?? Or talking movies. It might be fun. Whaddya say?
We'll give it a definite maybe!
And by all means watch THE MISSING JUROR. Then we'll talk. It is, after all: a) in black & white and, b) just over an hour long.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Dewaay Dewaaaay...I'd feel more hopeful about that job if you had said maybe definitely, but first things first. "The Missing Juror." :-)

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm afraid the author of this thread missed the missing. Did you catch it, Mave?

I fell asleep to my recording of Our Daily Bread.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Ms. G. "The Missing Juror" airs October 8th. You still have a chance to view it and judge for yourself.

Did you catch Friday nite's documentary on thrillers?? Some didn't care for it, but I enjoyed it.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I thought it was on last night! Well, that shows how discombobulated I can be, not even reading my own post.

I didn't care for the doc, I'm afraid. I switched to Major Dundee (not much
of an improvement) and then watched Heroes for Sale...what a depressing,
grim movie! But it was strong and well made.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You think that's bad? I stayed up to watch Heroes for Sale, made it through RO's intro and promptly fell asleep. I didn't see one BIT of it.

The worst thing is, I woke up RIGHT after it was over. I do this all the time...