The Missing Juror (1944)

MissGoddess

Re: The Missing Juror (1944)

Post by MissGoddess »

Heroes for Sale is a lot like The Ox-Bow Incident, in how it indicts society for injustice
and callousness. Wellman really pulls no punches, it is a VERY grim film and truly tragic
performance by Barthelmess. His face is the right kind for that sort of put-upon character;
he really looks like someone to whom life has been unfair.

I could not believe what happened to Loretta Young in it---really a shocker.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Aaaggghhh, I was dying to see it LAST time it was on, and missed it. Now you made me want to watch it even more.... This is so frustrating.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Not that anyone is doing a JANIS CARTER Alert...but hopefully you'll be watching (recording) "The Power of the Whistler" with her and Richard Dix, this morning at 7:15am. Don't forget..."The Missing Juror" comes on later this week. Check your local listings.

Okay. Okay. Maybe I AM doing a Janis Carter alert. :oops:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm hoping my DVR is picking up all the Whisters today. I think I've seen them but I'm happy to get
them recorded. I feel so bad for poor Janis in The Power of the Whistler! There's something sort
of modern about that story.

Well, except the part where the guy at the train station or whereever lends his car to perfect strangers ("We
don't take money for doing favors around here!"
) Wow, times HAVE changed.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"We don't take money for favors around here." Wha'????!!!!

I've been watching "The Power of the Whistler." I'm having a nice time with it. Richard Dix has a great voice, and a menacing look. I could see those chiseled features back in the Silents; you know...Francis X. Bushman-esque. I find Janis Carter has a very lovely presence; her eyes and smile. Yeah yeah, I know...the helpfulness of people is fairly unrealistic:

1940's 2000's
1A. Picking up the rugged Dix 1B. Looking for Mr. Goodbar
2A. Sitting in a stranger's car 2B. Oh crap, I'm gettin' carjacked!
3A. Buying a little girl ice cream 3B. Stop!! Stop!! Get away from that child, you...
4A. Question a bakery delivery man 4B. Lady, WHO are you again???
5A. Kidnap a visiting ballerina 5B. Get close to Madonna and see what it'll get you

But you know...I don't care about that when I see 1940's movies. Everything fits nicely to keep the plot moving along. We have the Casablancas and the Double Indemnities and the Dark Victories and the chain gang fugitives and any number classic "A" films. But I try to look at these old films the way they were intended.

Did you notice Nina Mae McKinney as the ballerina's maid???

I'm all about suspending my disbelief with all these old films, I'm afraid.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

But I try to look at these old films the way they were intended.
I'm all about suspending my disbelief with all these old films, I'm afraid.

You and me, both, Mave. That's the BEST way to enjoy them, in my opinion.

I think I got them all recorded but I haven't watched them yet. I may do so this
weekend; just have a nice "Whistler-Fest" for myself. :D
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"I feel so bad for poor Janis in "The Power of the Whistler!" There's something sort of modern about that story." - MissGoddess.

You're right about this. (I just saw the whole film). We girls do so want to believe what the boys tell us. :(

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've said this before but I'll repeat it for the new folks. Often the reason you can't get people to watch classic movies is 1.) "They don't like" black and white. I find it relaxes my eyes after hours of color. 2.) They don't know the actors. I just say, "these are real actors, not like what you see today". 3.) Most important of all. You have to tell them to remember these were made in a simpler time and mind frame, and long before simple everyday things were turned sour by crime and criminals. Sometimes I find myself irritated at women who act like cattle, or think how dangerous it is for a man to pick up a little girl and sit her on his lap, those are the times I realize how the media has ruined so many nice little memories for me.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Just a reminder (to myself and others), this movie (The Missing Juror) is on tonight. :)
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I'm with Dewey. THE MISSING JUROR is entertaining enough, but fairly run-of-the-mill. Its noirishness is more a function of Boetticher's, Carter's, and Macready's involvement (oh, and lots of shadows) than theme. And of the three Janis Carter performances that I caught this week, I'll readily take the one in I MARRIED A COMMUNIST (aka THE WOMAN ON PIER 13). Any Party with Ms. Carter and Robert Ryan is good enough for me, William Talman's imitation of Tommy Udo and all.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't seen The Woman on Pier 13 in ages, but I remember really liking it.I had no idea it was the same movie as "I Married a Communist". Here I was thinking all this time I'd never seen that one, lol.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I watched "The Missing Juror" and enjoyed it. Yes, it is a "B" movie and Ms. Carter seems so stiff, placid, just reading off her lines. The plot had obvious hokum like Janis telling her co-worker NOT to tell folks where she was going. The crazy man confessing. He took a great pause when he told the authorities to do nothing and watch what happens AND could no one tell that George Macready was playing both parts. I mean if anything, there's that very distinctive voice of his. Wasn't that shades of "Gilda" when the reporter bends down to pet the black cat and Macready's there with cane at the ready? (Hey, who played the Editor's Secretary??) I loved big ol' Mike Mazurki (the original "Hulk") spouting Shakespeare, and the scene in the steam room when the reporter was getting roasted. (Made me think of James Bond in "Thunderball").

Now all of this is not to say I didn't enjoy the movie. I did, indeed. I love "B" movies. And I'll continue to be on the lookout for more Janis Carter films.

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for the good review of MISSING JUROR. I recorded but haven't watched it - we're still in LA with work.

You wrote about suspension of belief and I don't know why I'm so willing to do that for classic films, but am so critical of modern films. I end up with a gut reaction similar to, "Today's films have so much going for them, and they can't accomplish half as much", although I'd be hard to quantify "half" and "much" and every point in between! I wonder if it's a fantasy element within me - "Wheeee, we're back in the '40s-!" or something.

And no, don't even ask if I wore towels pinned to my shirts while watching Richard Dix's younger brother, George Reeves on TV. (I haven't done that in weeks! I swear. Of course, Wifey left all the red towels at home. Darn...)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Ollie,

Hope all's well with your wife, kids and your music. Hope you can watch some good ol' movies while you're at it.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didn't post my impressions of the movie in my own thread, I see, ha! It was just about what the rest of you say, an okay movie, maybe I like it a little better than The Killer is Loose and other early "Bud" films in the same vein. It was a nice, enjoyable little mystery thriller to pass the time. The fact I'm not too upset that the picture went out 30 minutes into it for a while indicates it's not on my all-time favorites list. :D

Night and the City, on the other hand....
:shock:
-- Will Rogers