La Bête Humaine (1938)

Mr. Arkadin

La Bête Humaine (1938)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Before there was Film Noir there was Renoir. This stunning translation of Emile Zola's novel visits TCM tonight in the late hours, introducing many of the psychological aspects that would dominate American crime films of the forties and fifties. If you've enjoyed Lang's remake (Human Desire [1954]), take the original for a spin. The ride is no less intense.
charliechaplinfan

Re: La Bête Humaine (1938)

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a very good film, starring two of France's best, directed by one of Frances best and VERY noir. I'll second your recommendation.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Re: La Bête Humaine (1938)

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope some of caught this, I dusted off my copy especially to join in the discussions.

The thing I remember the most from my first viewing was the atomosphere of the railway and the unscrutability of Jean Gabin's character. It's pure noir and Simone's Severine is as fatale as any film noir dame, moving from man to man is almost a game to her. Jean gets drawn to Severine after covering for her and her husband who he knows have commited a murder, he is prepared to overlook this fact because Severine looks so vulnerable, something she turns on quite well, soon they are lovers meeting clandestinely but with knowledge of Severine's husband. Severine persuades Jean to kill her husband but he can't do it and how she turns on him. There she is waiting for the crowbar to cleave her husband's skull in two almost joyful but Jean can't do it, it's a fantastic scene. To say she gets her comeuppance is to put it mildly. Without saying too much the ending is an ending to remember.

It's a great movie, Renoir at his best.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin