Noir City - San Francisco

Bob

Noir City - San Francisco

Post by Bob »

Are there others here who will be attending Noir City at the famous old Castro Theater in San Francisco later this month? This year's lineup looks much more promising than 09.

More info here -
http://www.noircity.com/
charliechaplinfan

Re: Noir City - San Francisco

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wish, I live in the UK, do share your experiences with us.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Is that different from the one that Dewey programs up there?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Bob

Post by Bob »

I've been to Noir City twice in 07 and 08. For the last few years it has taken place at the Castro Theater, which was built in 1922 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castro_Theatre).
In a city that prides itself on it's preservation of older buildings, the Castro is the only one of the grand old theaters operating in a city that once had an inordinate amount. As a kid I can still remember walking into the old Fox Theater in SF, arguably the grandest picture palace in the US, and being overwhelmed by its Louis XIV opulence. In 1963 it became the victim of the wrecking ball.
The festival was started about 10 years ago as the brainchild of Eddie Muller, the "czar of noir" and his Film Noir Foundation (http://www.noircity.com/foundation.html). Every few months the FNF puts out an online newspaper called the Noir City Sentinel. The FNF has been instrumental is resurrecting long forgotten noirs and having 35mm copies struck to show at festivals. Two years ago it was the restored Losey film THE PROWLER, and this year the FNF is showcasing the restored CRY DANGER. Many of the films shown aren’t available on DVD. What Muller does it try to mix up some well known titles with those that haven't been seen in decades, and he does a great job in juggling the schedule to appeal to a wide segment of the old film buff public. As often as possible special guests will make their way to Noir City, but sad to say, many of our favorite noir actresses and actors are no longer with us.
The audiences for Noir City isn't the type of demographic you see in most suburban theaters for new films. The age range is from late teen hipsters to people in their 80s. All of them are there because they have all crossed over into the "dark side."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I won't make it to Noir City, but I do hope to be in San Francisco again around the third week in May. Might catch a movie or twelve.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

I was just looking at the lineup. I might take in a couple of them.

I was only 3 when the Fox was destroyed, I still feel sad everytime I go past the hideous replacement of Fox Plaza. to see before and after photos, here is a link to the SF history Center collection of images, sad.
http://sflib1.sfpl.org:82/search/a?sear ... ter&SORT=D

The Alhambra on Russian Hill was beautiful and is now a gym. Going down Mission Street and seeing what is left of the facades is heart breaking. It's rather sad that The Castro is the only one left, and this was by no means a major palace, it was just a neighborhood screen.

Donna
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

ChiO sez: I won't make it to Noir City, but I do hope to be in San Francisco again around the third week in May. Might catch a movie or twelve.
ChiO, you are indeed a man of great taste and rare refinement.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The dutiful Dewey writes:
ChiO, you are indeed a man of great taste and rare refinement.
The check is in the mail.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dewey,

Are you doing any more Noir programs in the City of by the Bay? Any chance we can talk you into doing a program of them down here in the City of Angels?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Lynn - Yes, I'll be doing a big series at the Roxie in mid-May with lots of extremely rare titles, none currently available on DVD. As we get closer to the date, I'll post more details. No plans as yet for taking these shows down south. Thanks!