Bugsy

Post by ken123 »

Nice mob film.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Bugsy

Post by Lzcutter »

Nice mob film.
From a Las Vegas point of view, really bad historically speaking.

But if I am able to get around that (and it takes some doing), I do like Bill Graham and Ben Kingsley.

But the whole Las Vegas part of the story really grates on me.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I really like Joe Montegna as George Raft. I thought that was splendid casting, because I can accept him as an imitation tough guy and not a real hood.

Harvey Keitel was very good as Mickey Cohen.

I fell in love with Annette Benning with this movie.

Does it seem that apart from "Wag the Dog," Barry Levinson never made another good movie after this one?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Gus Greenbaum, a Chicago mobster, who appears late in the film, was a friend of Goldwater. Gus was murdered by the Chicago outfit. ru
Last edited by ken123 on February 9th, 2010, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Cohen was born in Chicago & raised money for Nixon - 1946 & 1950.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gus was killed because his addiction to heroin was so great that he began skimming from the skim while the boss at the Riviera.

The mob would put up with his womanizing and even his drug hit but not skimming from them.

Both Gus and his wife were murdered in their Phoenix home where they were spending the holidays.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Lzcutter wrote:Gus was killed because his addiction to heroin was so great that he began skimming from the skim while the boss at the Riviera.

The mob would put up with his womanizing and even his drug hit but not skimming from them.

Both Gus and his wife were murdered in their Phoenix home where they were spending the holidays.

Both had thier throats slit !
klondike

Post by klondike »

Mickey Cohen made great "use" (along w/ Howard Hughes) of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, from the Truman thru the Kennedy administrations, as opposed to the "downtown" hoods who were competitively "in bed" with the LAPD.
There are of course many sources for this information, but I believe the most entertaining are the James Ellroy novels, like The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, White Jazz & American Tabloid.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Klon,

For those who are interested in the life and times of Mickey Cohen and interested in the post-war history of Los Angeles, LA Noir by John Buntin is a must read.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Both had thier throats slit !
Yes, they did. Seems the mob wanted to send a message.

As I said, they put up with a lot from Greenbaum, but stealing from the mob, even if you are one of their own, was not tolerated.
Lynn in Lake Balboa