Andre de Toth (1912-2002)

moira finnie
Administrator

Andre de Toth (1912-2002)

Post by moira finnie »

A young Andre de Toth

Director Andre de Toth (1912-2002) aka Sâsvári Farkasfalvi Tóthfalusi Tóth Endre Antal Mihály, was a man who didn't mince words and he rarely wasted a camera shot either. The more I see of his movies, the more I like him. A born provocateur, cheerfully profane and very funny, de Toth made films in almost every genre, but I am quite partial to his spare, beautifully composed film noirs such as Dark Waters (1944), Pitfall (1948), and Crime Wave (1954). I am currently reading his memoir, Fragments: Portraits From the Inside,which is thought provoking, instructive and hilarious. He told those who gathered at his feet that ''Film schools teach you absolutely nothing.'The psychology of being a director, it's not mechanics -- either you've got it or you ain't. The No. 1 requirement is understanding."

If you'd like an overview of his movie career, the following might be of help:
An Andre de Toth Obituary

Driftin':In Tribute to André de Toth by Adrian Danks

The Films of Andre de Toth: A Compendium of Characteristics by Mike Grost

Andre de Toth: An Interview with Alain Silver (This interview discusses Dark Waters in some salty detail, along with several other films from the director's past).

I came across a clip below that is part of an onstage interview from 1998 with the San Francisco Film Society, which I think that you may enjoy.

[youtube][/youtube]

I believe that Dark Waters (1944-Andre de Toth) is readily available on DVD, but if you haven't seen it, you can do so starting here. The fine cast includes Merle Oberon, Franchot Tone, Thomas Mitchell, Fay Bainter, Elisha Cook Jr., John Qualen, Rex Ingram, Nina Mae McKinney, Odette Myrtil and Eugene Borden. The movie is an early example of de Toth's skill crafting something memorable from a B movie budget. This movie, which he didn't seem to think worthy of recognition, blends some favorite '40s themes such as psychology, mystery, fate, and the beauty of black and white cinematography with help from John J. Mescall & Archie Stout and a haunting score from Miklós Rózsa.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Andre de Toth (1912-2002)

Post by movieman1957 »

Most of what I know of deToth's work is from a handful of westerns he made with Randolph Scott (cue chorus) and his picture "Ramrod" with McCrea and Veronica Lake (his wife.) How is that for a pair.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Crime Wave - Lisa Kirk & a Mr Carey ! :D
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Moira, thanks so much for posting that clip of Mr. DeToth. Believe it or not I was at that very screening event and it was definitely a major hoot!! DeToth is, unquestionably, one of the most intriguingly unique directors of all time! Thanks again!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Allow me to join the chorus thanking Moira for her tribute to this under-appreciated director. CRIME WAVE, with two of my four favorite actors, is near the top of my film noir list. Also, DAY OF THE OUTLAW (1959) -- proof positive that a Western set in blinding snow can be a film noir. For those interested in more of his insights and biting wit, De Toth on De Toth: Putting the Drama in Front of the Camera (Anthony Slide, ed., 1996) is highly recommended.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I've always liked "House of Wax" much better than "Mystery of the Wax Museum."

The earlier film has a terrific opening and then gradually blows it once the action moves to New York.

De Toth's remake has that marvelous sequence when the cloaked Vincent Price chases Phyllis Kirk through the fogbound streets. It also has a lot of wit.
feaito

Post by feaito »

MikeBSG wrote:I've always liked "House of Wax" much better than "Mystery of the Wax Museum."

The earlier film has a terrific opening and then gradually blows it once the action moves to New York.

De Toth's remake has that marvelous sequence when the cloaked Vincent Price chases Phyllis Kirk through the fogbound streets. It also has a lot of wit.
My sentiments also. For many years I was so intrigued by the original 1933 Pre-Code version and when I saw it, it disappointed me quite a bit. I did not like Fay Wray's performance in it. She was the star but I feel that Glenda Farrell fared better and had more time on screen. "House of Wax" (1953) is definitely one of my favorites and better than the original. I recorded "The Other Love" (1947) of which I read very negative reviews years ago, but I want to check it myself (I'll tape anything with Barbara Stanwyck). Now I regret that I did not record "Ramrod" (1947) when it aired :?

BTW thanks for posting this Moira. The interview is a hoot and I printed Silver's interview (I'd rather read it on paper) For me the "old" book, articles, essays on paper are the thing....you'll never catch me with a kindle device. Definitely not for me.