Laura

mrsl

Laura

Post by mrsl »

I must be doing something wrong in using the SEARCH because nothing ever comes up and I'm sure we've discussed this movie here previously. Anyway, Laura was on one of my HBO channels today and I decided to watch it since I've ignored it for years. A mystery like Laura is not a high contender for repeat viewings. Amazingly I never realized just how much they used to cut this movie up to show it on various afternoon and evening shows. This was the first time I ever saw the first 15 minutes of it, and all through the movie were short scenes that were totally new to me. I know I've never watched it on TCM if it was ever shown because this would not be such a surprise to me, but I wonder how many other movies I've enjoyed, have had parts missing that I never knew about.

In any case, one performance stood out for me today. Vincent Price, handsome, well built, nice voice and all his other attributes were well displayed here, but his role of a basic gigolo kind of turns all of the good stuff off. Again, I caught a few things I never noticed before, maybe I've seen them, but paid no attention, but because I was looking closely today I saw some new items. For instance, the one woman who is after him, but he keeps pushing away because of Laura, suddenly when Laura is arrested and taken away, that woman cradles his head and he grabs her hand and kisses her palm, profusely thanking her for 'being there'.eeeeeewwwww. It's really quite amusing how Vince keeps swinging from Laura's good side, to thinking she is a murderer. Dana Andrews, as the detective has more faith in her than her 'fiancee' does.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: Laura

Post by ken123 »

I watched Laura on cable the other night, Encore Mystery, I think, anyway Mr Price was very good as the gigolo as where all the main characters. I hadnt seen the film in a long time. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My all time favorite noir. I know some consider it "noir lite", if at all. :D
but this movie never, ever palls for me. I have watched it at least a hundred times.

I want Laura Hunt's apartment. (and her cosy cottage)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ann---I know what you mean about the edited versions of this film. For years, I kept missing the shots of Laura modeling the new clothes and hair style that Waldo Svengalied for her. i thought perhaps I'd dreamed it. Then I finally saw the restored version and it restored my sanity...somewhat.

I still hope one day TCM can snag the rights to Gene's Fox films, including this one, and make her star of the month. The one day last August was such a tease.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers