The Friends of Eddie Coyle

mrsl

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Post by mrsl »

I saw this today for the first time. I copied it last night while I was sleeping. Robert O. was correct in what he said about Mitchum playing the lead. While watching you do get the feeling you're seeing the guy from Macao years later after the exciting 'soldier of fortune' type of life he had been leading. I have to laugh at R.O. because he has so much respect for Mitchum and it seems like every time he compliments him, he wishes he had had a better interview with him, so he could have gotten to know him better.

Mitchum had put on a few pounds, but he still looked pretty good, and played Eddie really low to the ground. You really weren't sure what side of the fence he was on for a while. You could see that tight, worried feeling inside him wondering what he was going to do to care for his family, and the one or two little scenes with the family showed he was a real family man. But he was also tough, and I think, if he wasn't alone, his enemies would have found a different target to engage.

Did anyone else see this one? I would like some opinions of the movie and Mitchum's portrayal.

Thanks.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Post by ken123 »

I don't how it is I have never seen this film ! :(
mrsl

Re: The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Post by mrsl »

If you notice, this is more of a critique of Robert Mitchum's performance, than of the movie itself. That is because, as you said, everything comes together very close to the end, and by reviewing the story, you give most of the mystery away. I did wonder about the first family, and what happened to the father, but trying to guess who belonged to what group was more interesting, and I was about half right. I agree a little more back story could have been done, and I was not crazy about the direction of the movie at all. I've seen a lot of movies where all the pieces come together at the end, but during the movie, little hints occur to keep the suspense alive - - but this one did not do that. I often found myself looking around the room at things I should do, and out the window at the raindrops falling. So the name Peter Yates will not be a draw for me.

As for Bullitt, all I recall about that was the car chase which led to every movie having one for years after that.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************