LA Noir & Noir City

moira finnie
Administrator

LA Noir & Noir City

Post by moira finnie »

If you like noir, you definitely will enjoy the LA Times Magazine for April, which is devoted to celebrating the connections between the style (or is it a fatal choice?) and the City of the Angels:
http://www.latimesmagazine.com/

I suspect that this is prompted by Noir City 8 which has been ongoing all week there, as described by Classic Hollywood writer Susan King here in an article about the event. Our fellow SSO member Alan K. Rode is, of course, a driving force behind this event.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: LA Noir & Noir City

Post by Lzcutter »

If you love the City of Angels and you like your hisory gritty, be sure to check out the non-fiction book L.A. Noir which provides a look at post-war Los Angeles history.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: LA Noir & Noir City

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks Lynn. I have had L.A. Noir on my request list at my library since you first mentioned it somewhere. I'm hoping I'll get it someday, though I've been waiting about six weeks now. I guess it's popular, but I'm hoping to read it soon. Sounds like fun. Have you read Kevin Starr's histories of the golden state?

I am up to Embattled Dreams: California in War and Peace, 1940-1950 and just love it, even if I've never set foot in the state. I love the way the guy blends economic, cultural and the natural world into a portrait of the state, blending facts and ideas so fluidly.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks