The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
- Audrey Hepburn

Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

User avatar
knitwit45
Posts: 4720
Joined: May 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Location: Gardner, KS

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby knitwit45 » May 8th, 2011, 2:37 pm

What about the movie that was set in New York, as Jack the Ripper and Holmes both time traveled into the 20th century? Can't remember the name of the movie, seems like it was pretty gory?

User avatar
JackFavell
Posts: 11946
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 9:56 am

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby JackFavell » May 8th, 2011, 4:16 pm

It wasn't Holmes, it was H.G.Wells...if I am thinking of the right film. It was called Time after Time, starring Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen. Gory yes, but also romantic as can be.

klondike

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby klondike » May 8th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Now granted I haven't seen it in about seven years or so, but I seem to remember Time After Time as being cleverly constructed, well-paced, cerebral, and very thrilling . . but gory?
Aside from a few vibrant blood-sprays . . I'd say, not at all!

User avatar
knitwit45
Posts: 4720
Joined: May 4th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Location: Gardner, KS

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby knitwit45 » May 8th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Aside from a few vibrant blood-sprays . . I'd say, not at all!


One man's blood sprays is one woman's shriek and turn off... :lol: :lol:

Jacks, I knew someone would remember it. Thanks!!!

User avatar
MissGoddess
Posts: 5108
Joined: April 17th, 2007, 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby MissGoddess » May 8th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Wonderful photo, Wendy. I watched The Scarlet Claw, House of Fear and Woman in Green this weekend. Such fun!

I wish for more scenes between Holmes and Moriarty (when Henry Daniell played him).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

feaito

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby feaito » May 16th, 2011, 8:52 pm

April is your avatar from "The Journey" (1959)? That film was titled "Rojo Atardecer" (Red Sundown) in Chile...

I watched today "The Spider Woman" (1942 ) and I enjoyed very much the battle of wits between the thrilling Gale Sondergaard and Basil Rathbone....She's a nemesis worthy of Holmes...like Catwoman and Batman...the ideal anti-couple...The small boy who played Adrea's "nephew" portrayed him in such an offbeat way and he misled me too... :wink: ...I guessed some things, but others not...still it was more predictable than "The Hound of the Baskervilles" (1939), the first time I saw it...I'm sure that the actor who played the pygmy appeared in the 1932 "Freaks", but I'm not 100% sure....Your thread enticed me to watch these features April....I think tomorrow I'll watch "The Scarlet Claw" (1944).

These films are ideal for watching during the week, due to their length...(60-70 minutes more or less)

User avatar
MissGoddess
Posts: 5108
Joined: April 17th, 2007, 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby MissGoddess » May 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm

feaito wrote:April is your avatar from "The Journey" (1959)? That film was titled "Rojo Atardecer" (Red Sundown) in Chile...


hola, Feo,
yes, the journey, though I vastly prefer its Chilean title. it is one of my very favorite movies. i have watched it three times in the last week, alone. i may watch it again tonight. :)

I watched today "The Spider Woman" (1942 ) and I enjoyed very much the battle of wits between the thrilling Gale Sondergaard and Basil Rathbone....She's a nemesis worthy of Holmes...like Catwoman and Batman...the ideal anti-couple...


I agree, they were excellent at sword's point and she is indeed worthy of his steel.

The small boy who played Adrea's "nephew" portrayed him in such an offbeat way and he misled me too... :wink: ...I guessed some things, but others not...still it was more predictable than "The Hound of the Baskervilles" (1939), the first time I saw it...I'm sure that the actor who played the pygmy appeared in the 1932 "Freaks", but I'm not 100% sure....


I was thrown by the little boy, too! What an odd creature.

Your thread enticed me to watch these features April....I think tomorrow I'll watch "The Scarlet Claw" (1944).

These films are ideal for watching during the week, due to their length...(60-70 minutes more or less)


I'm so glad you are diving in. I enjoyed my spree with them and wouldn't be surprised if I watch them again very soon. I look forward to learning how you enjoyed The Scarlet Claw.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

feaito

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby feaito » May 16th, 2011, 9:16 pm

I saw "Rojo Atardecer" many decades ago...I remember it had to do with people fleeing a country in a bus? And Ms. Kerr was Brynner's love interest...I recall that French Actress Anouk Aimee was part of the international cast....Three times!! Wow!! That's favorite indeed. It's a romantic film full of saudade, isn't it?

Hope to come back to this thread tomorrow....

Bye La Belle Avril

User avatar
MissGoddess
Posts: 5108
Joined: April 17th, 2007, 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby MissGoddess » May 16th, 2011, 9:34 pm

[
feaito wrote:I saw "Rojo Atardecer" many decades ago...I remember it had to do with people fleeing a country in a bus? And Ms. Kerr was Brynner's love interest...I recall that French Actress Anouk Aimee was part of the international cast....Three times!! Wow!! That's favorite indeed. It's a romantic film full of saudade, isn't it?

Hope to come back to this thread tomorrow....

Bye La Belle Avril


Please do come back and explain what you mean by saudade...I confess I had to look that one up but I'm not sure I got the correct meaning (something like yearning or homesickness?).
I like rojo atardecer because it falls into one of my favorite story categories, the tale of differing individuals travelling and encountering danger. seeing people thrown together with others whose cultures and languages they don't understand is quite fascinating. the movie could be based on De Maupessant's "Boule de suif"...just as Stagecoach was. You could do it today, it's a timeless gimmick as there are so many conflicts going on between cultures all the time.

As a bonus we get the kiss between Deborah and Yul that was denied us in The King and I. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

User avatar
Rita Hayworth
Posts: 10098
Joined: February 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby Rita Hayworth » May 16th, 2011, 11:45 pm

klondike wrote:Now granted I haven't seen it in about seven years or so, but I seem to remember Time After Time as being cleverly constructed, well-paced, cerebral, and very thrilling . . but gory?
Aside from a few vibrant blood-sprays . . I'd say, not at all!


I seen that movie ... I totally support Klondike assessment here.

feaito

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby feaito » May 17th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Avril,

Saudade is a -complex- word & concept in Portuguese that has not exact translation and it means a certain nostalgia, sadness, longing, yearning all in one. I love that word, which has been used in Portuguese and Brazilian songs (i.e."Chega de Saudade")

I found this on the net:

"Saudade (singular) or saudades (plural) (pronounced [sɐ.uˈdaðɨ] or [sawˈdaðɨ] in Portuguese, is a Portuguese language word difficult to translate adequately, which describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return.

Saudade has been described as a "vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist ... a turning towards the past or towards the future".[2] A stronger form of saudade may be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing. It may also be translated as a deep longing or yearning for something which does not exist or is unattainable.

Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" or "the love that stays" after someone is gone. Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again. It can be described as an emptiness, like someone ( e.g., one's children, parents, sibling, grandparents, friends, pets) or something (e.g., places, things one used to do in childhood, or other activities performed in the past) that should be there in a particular moment is missing, and the individual feels this absence. In Portuguese, 'tenho saudades tuas', translated as 'I have saudades for you' means 'I miss you', but carries a much stronger tone. In fact, one can have 'saudades' of someone with which one is, but have some feeling of loss towards the past or the future.

In Brazil, the day of saudade is officially celebrated on January 30."

User avatar
MissGoddess
Posts: 5108
Joined: April 17th, 2007, 10:01 am
Contact:

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby MissGoddess » May 17th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Oh my goodness...if ever I need proof that Latin words have the most emotional power, I will point to this posting. thank you so much for the explanation...I will never forget the word now, ever. I know the feeling too well that it expresses. In English it takes forty words to express what it says, and I find that frequently so with the "romance" languages.

Yes most certainly in the Major's heart feels extreme saudade, partly for the lost connections to the Hungarian people, and mostly for the lost love he will never experience.

Thank you again, meu cavaleiro.

And enjoy The Scarlet Claw!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

feaito

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby feaito » May 17th, 2011, 12:18 pm

O brigado meu amiga... :wink:

Hope to watch TSC tonite... :D

klondike

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby klondike » May 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm

feaito wrote:Avril,

Saudade is a -complex- word & concept in Portuguese that has not exact translation and it means a certain nostalgia, sadness, longing, yearning all in one. I love that word, which has been used in Portuguese and Brazilian songs (i.e."Chega de Saudade")


This should be an easy thing for most of us to relate to, and grasp, particularly as our modern term 'nostalgia' originates from a translingual compaction of the Latin designator nostra algia, meaning, literally, "our pain", the pronoun in this sense refering less to ownership than to an emotional intimacy.

feaito wrote:"Saudade (singular) or saudades (plural) (pronounced [sɐ.uˈdaðɨ] or [sawˈdaðɨ] in Portuguese, is a Portuguese language word difficult to translate adequately, which describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic longing for something or someone that one was fond of and which is lost. It often carries a fatalist tone and a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might really never return.


Well put, and about as economical as one can get, bridging from one tongue to another; the lingual root may well be distinctly Iberian, but the experience, and the identification with it, is pretty darn universal!

feaito wrote:Saudade has been described as a "vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist ... a turning towards the past or towards the future".[2] A stronger form of saudade may be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing. It may also be translated as a deep longing or yearning for something which does not exist or is unattainable.


Yes, I feel I understand exactly what is imparted by this; and though I am irreversibly biased, of course, I would guess that it's most dynamically felt for loved ones separated from us by death . . and likewise, perhaps, with the greatest trauma involving those 'departed' who are of a younger age than those remaining behind, and remembering . .

feaito wrote:In Brazil, the day of saudade is officially celebrated on January 30."


Good to know, Fernando; this will be what I have learned today . . thank you!

feaito

Re: Your Favorite Sherlock Holmes Movie?

Postby feaito » May 17th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Welcome Klonnie, I've always been intrigued by the word saudade...and I love the Portuguese Language.


Return to “Film Noir and Crime”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests