My Gun is Quick

mrsl

My Gun is Quick

Post by mrsl »

I'm not sure if this one is considered a film noir pic. I DVR'd it last night because I caught the name of the star as being Robert Bray whom I love from his role as Dad/Driver on Stagecoach West. He plays such a well centered, hearty fellow, and seems to have a great rapport with Wayne Rogers, that it seems like it would be hard to not like him.

This, of course was a totally different role for him, and though I hate to say it, he does better on the small screen than the large. He's certainly attractive enough to be a leading man, but the love scenes were so rushed, it was like the director was saying "Let's hurry and get this over and get back to the main story". But again, it was a Mickey Spillane - Mike Hammer story, and many of them are written that way. Mickey has to get his girls and kisses in there.

In this, Mike helps a girl who's being knocked around by her ' boyfriend ' (?) with some money to get out of town and go home, but her body is found the next day. As he looks around the murder scene, he notices a unique ring she had been wearing is missing, and that ring gives him clues enough to solve the crime. Again, it's typical Mickey Spillane, not one to go hunting for, but good enough if it shows up some boring Saturday afternoon.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
RedRiver

Re: My Gun is Quick

Post by RedRiver »

I wish I remembered this movie well enough to comment on it. I watched it on TV as a child. That was a LONG time ago! The only Mike Hammer film I know well is KISS ME, DEADLY. Haven't seen Armand Assante in I, THE JURY. Was there another version of that one? It's hard to believe Spillane's best known story was filmed only in 1980-something.

These books are entertaining if you don't ask too much. More suited to masculine sensibilities, I suspect. Hammer makes James Bond look like a Head Waiter! But they're tough, terse, fairly exciting. The prose is not what you get from Ross Macdonald, or John Macdonald. But neither is it dismissable. It's fun, if macho, reading!
Dewey1960

Re: My Gun is Quick

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey again, Red. I, THE JURY first became a film back in 1953 starring Biff Elliott as Mike Hammer. While
not the radical game-changer that KISS ME DEADLY (55) became, it's nevertheless a fairly riveting film,
thanks largely to the brilliant cinematography of John Alton. It was actually filmed in 3-D!!
[youtube][/youtube]