Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

charliechaplinfan

Re: Crime on film and the Criminals that inspired the writing.

Post by charliechaplinfan »

We could have our own thread for this. Andrew is just like Chris with shopping, only Chris likes to buy everything on deals, so I have loads of baked beans, soup, soda, cornflakes etc this is OK. I'm a frugal shopper and the easiest way to do it is to have an idea in my head about what I've bought, what I'm planning to do with it, what I plan to make in the week or so ahead, that goes out of the window when Chris is off because he likes cooking, I like having my meals made but he makes no allowance for what we have in and then tells me I've obught things that will go off, he goes to the store frequently bringing me back same day sale items that are marked down and need eating that day, that drives me crazy. I find more fruit and veg in the bottom of the fridge that he's helpfully bought cheap but has gone off but he doesn't see that. He looks over my shoulder when I'm cooking, like he's checking, which makes me do things wrong and although I'm frugal I'm only playing at it, compared to him who is an expert. He makes most of the money, so I try to go with it. He should try a new wife for a month, his bills would go through the roof.

Yet he trusts me implicitly with the money, I handle it all, with the credit cards mostly in his name and the savings in mine, this is a huge amount of trust, so perhaps I should accept his wisdom on the laundry detergent (when did Andrew last do a load?) or how often I do a wash (if anyone ever tried to keep things clean for more than half an hour we wouldn't have to) and the dryer, which I'm loathe to use and peg washing out as much as I can but sometimes the temperature is too cold to make any difference. Now he's read I shouldn't dry clothes on the radiator, so what is the answer?

Ah husbands, not wanting to be sexist, does anyone have any gripes about their wife/girlfriend? If so feel free to join in.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ah husbands, not wanting to be sexist, does anyone have any gripes about their wife/girlfriend? If so feel free to join in.
I may be old, but I wish to live for a few years more.

P.S. The above statement is not intended to imply that I have any gripes about my spouse, or that I even have a girlfriend. (Just in case Mrs. ChiO ever reads this.)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, poor Mr. ChiO, it's too late to backtrack, you are already sunk. :D

Andrew does laundry about once a month when he decides to wash his whites with bleach. I had to explain that it was better to add some water to the bleach so his clothes didn't end up with holes in them. Sometimes he does his own work clothes if I am not feeling well, or I haven't gotten to it fast enough. but mostly I do the wash. He used to do his own back when we were first married because I used a detergent that has no scent, since the others make me itch, and he likes the smell of detergent in his clothing. I guess it wasn't enough of an incentive to keep doing his own laundry though.

Oh my gosh, if Andrew looked over my shoulder while I was cooking I'd certainly do something totally wrong! I guess I'm lucky. He does cut out recipes for me to make, usually things that I would never in a million years think of making like sticky sweet desserts and such, or man things like BBQ or chili. I can see why he does that, just for something new, we've gotten so sedate since Alice was old enough to eat regular food, we barely even go out for Indian food anymore and I don't make spicy foods much anymore. But I do try to make things for him at least once a month.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Did he look like Johnny? Not in the slightest. Of course, we were ten years old! Are you still in touch? Not since 1964! The family moved away.

I cook like a southerner. Is it meat? Fry it! I don't bake or broil.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Baking is so much easier Red! For years I fried or cooked in a pan on the stove, now the only thing I don't cook in the oven is hamburgers. spray a cookie sheet with oil and plop the meat on, spray it again, season, throw it in a 375 degree oven and walk away for 17 minutes. come back and dinner's ready.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

does anyone have any gripes about their wife/girlfriend?

Yes. She left me!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Her loss, Red. She'll rue the day!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Girls...

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Theresa, that's so funny.

I guess our husbands are quirky and maddening at times. I must explain the reason that Chris looks over my shoulder when I'm cooking, it's not all the time but I'm left handed and my doing anything with a knife looks so dangerous to him plus he has so much advice to impart. Chris can do the wash but would just bundle everything in together. If he sees a recipe he likes he'll make it and that's where the mess comes from, he doesn't see it, I do. And I haven't mentioned the children, they have too many quirks to mention.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As we're on the subject of crime sprees, I'm thinking of watching GUN CRAZY again. The library has a new copy. Sometimes, that alone, is enough to entice me!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

We go together, Annie. I don't know why. Maybe like guns and ammunition go together.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Interesting similarities between GUN CRAZY and THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, not the least of which is the casting of Dall and Granger from ROPE starring as the respective male leads. Actually I think I prefer the latter film, though it took a couple of showings to reach that conclusion. TLBY seemed to grow on me whereas GUN CRAZY stayed pretty well put in my assessment.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'll give the nod to the Nicholas Ray film too. It's one of the hardest, least pretentious crime stories I've seen. This is a comparison of a good movie to a VERY good movie!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love them both equally. Both very very high on my favorites list.

charliechaplinfan

I like them both as much as one another, both made a big impact.