The Untouchables -- TV series

MikeBSG

The Untouchables -- TV series

Post by MikeBSG »

It looks as if this classic TV series will be out on DVD soon.

What are your memories of this? I was too young to see it in first run, but I knew of it as a series that pressed the limit of good taste on TV from all sorts of jokes on other shows.

Finally, in the mid-80s, I was able to watch "The Untouchables" on rerun, ironically on a "Christian TV station" run by Rex Humbard in Akron, Ohio. This was pretty funny. All I can think of it that the station approved of the show because of the (implied) anti-booze aspect of the show. Still, I was shocked by the violence in the episodes, such as the "Purple Gang" episode when a guy had a fork stuck into his hand to make him talk.

All in all, I really liked what I saw, and I look forward to the DVDs.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Excellent, hardboiled, fast paced show (at least the first couple of seasons). Notable too for its extreme use of violence, particularly unusual for its time. Of all the cop-related shows on TV from this period, UNTOUCHABLES was one of the few that could get away with being called noir (Johnny Staccato, Peter Gunn, M-Squad would also be qualifers). A worthy choice for DVD release.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dewey is right. Excellent show.

Robert Stack and Paul Picerni made good G-men - tough and hard as nails. I remember Bruce Gordon and Nehemiah Persoff, but they were the gangsters, and not very much to be idealized. Good show to catch on re-runs when there is nothing else on TV.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

When people ask what was so great about Desilu in the post I Love Lucy years, I tell them The Untouchables and Star Trek.

They (Desi and Lucy) took a flyer on The Untouchables when no one else would and a few years later, Lucy would do the same with Star Trek.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Lzcutter wrote:When people ask what was so great about Desilu in the post I Love Lucy years, I tell them The Untouchables and Star Trek.

They (Desi and Lucy) took a flyer on The Untouchables when no one else would and a few years later, Lucy would do the same with Star Trek.
That's true, Lynn - Desilu gave us some very good shows. Desi in his memoirs says, I think, that one of the reasons he was willing to go with The Untouchables was that Quinn Martin (remember the announcer intoning A Quinn Martin Production!) was married to one of their former I Love Lucy writers, Madeline Martin (a/k/a Madeline Pugh and one other name, if I recall rightly).
Dewey1960

Untouchables TV show

Post by Dewey1960 »

Here's a little something special for all you UNTOUCHABLES fans!

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Untouchables DVD

Post by Dewey1960 »

John -- I think you'll find it well worth the cost; these episodes hold up incredibly well!!
-Dewey
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

Childhood memories relived with the DVD release of "The Untouchables". It was a great series until it ran out of steam towards the end of its run. I had the privilege of conducting what turned out to be Robert Stack's last interview and told him that "The Untouchables" was THE program that my dad and I watched together every Friday night. Mr. Stack laughed and said that it was amazing how many people had told him the same thing. I guess it was the ultimate father-son bonding show.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

The Untouchables, like The Rifleman, was one of those shows you watched every week to see the shooting, or like me, because you had a crush on the star. Now, however, as an adult, you can look back and watch it with a more discernible eye, and enjoy it for its' actual value as sharp technical skills in all ways from acting to lighting. Supporting actors may have been a little stiff, but the main stars and guest stars always gave 100% to make it an exciting hour of TV every week, and something to look forward to.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************