711 Ocean Drive

Lzcutter
Administrator

711 Ocean Drive

Post by Lzcutter »

Finally watched this great hard boiled Edmund O'Brien film and found myself in love with all the on-location shooting they did for this film. They shot around Los Angeles, (Gilmore Field, downtown, Wilshire Blvd, possibly Hollywood), down to Palm Springs and even to Boulder/Hoover Dam.

The Bureau of Reclamation was never really cooperative with film makers wanting to use the Dam as a backdrop. The climax of this film is actually shot not only on the Dam but inside the tunnels and they utilize parts of the old guided tour and show some off-limits parts, too. One thing they fudged on, the elevators never went fast. They were very, very slow.

Now I am curious as to how the filmmakers got the Bureau to agree to let them film there! The only other case of a chase being filmed in the tunnels of the Dam that I can think of occured about 20 years later on The Rockford Files.

Joanna Dru was great as the love interest, too.

I really enjoyed this film much more than I thought I would.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese