The Devil and Daniel Webster

ken123

The Devil and Daniel Webster

Post by ken123 »

A Noir ? The film has Femme Fatale and who could be more noirish than
" Mr. Scratch ", aka the Devil. 8)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I saw this movie, Ken, for the first time several months ago. I was completely captivated but I felt like a lot of it zoomed past my blonde bean and I want to watch it again, soon, and with the commentary. Huston, Arnold and delovely Simone Simon were all extraordinary in their roles. This movie has lots of layers and probably many different messages I just couldn't absord in one sitting.

I never thought of it as a noir before, but Simone kitty-face Simon is one bewitching femme fatale!
Ray Faiola

Post by Ray Faiola »

Thankfully the most recent DVD is complete and all 35mm. For many years, the only print available was the Astor Pictures 87 minute reissue. Then a VHS restoration was done where footage was inserted from a 16mm print. Unfortunately they filtered the soundtrack so severely that you couldn't understand a word that was being said in the restored sections. But the DVD is terrific. And Bernard Herrmann's score well-deserved its winning an Oscar.

Walter Huston had very few opportunities to play a villain. This showed just what a grand and versatile actor he was. Come to think of it, Edward Arnold played only a handful of heroes!
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com