The Screwball Comedy of John Ford

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
ChiO

The Screwball Comedy of John Ford

Post by ChiO »

Between JUDGE PRIEST and THE INFORMER, and about a year after Howard Hawks directed TWENTIETH CENTURY, which is often credited as being the first screwball comedy, John Ford directed a screwball comedy.

Last night Mrs. ChiO and I went to our neighborhood weekend revival theatre and saw THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING on the big screen. According to Scott Eyman, Ford apparently considered it a throwaway movie, doing it only to keep busy. Although it isn't up to Hawks' BRINGING UP BABY or HIS GIRL FRIDAY (how many movies are?), it certainly is worth watching. The always wonderful Edward G. Robinson gets to play the comic side of Christopher Cross and Rico in the same film, portraying both a mild-mannered mid-level business functionary and an on-the-lam gang leader who are mistaken for each other. But the focal point for me, as with every movie she's in, is Jean Arthur. If she just stood there, I'd be satisfied, but she talks anyway and I'm mesmerized.

This doesn't seem to fit into the rest of Ford's work, but he needn't have disparaged it (even if only by his silence). It's amusing enough and he gets some fine performances out of a great group on actors.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I got to see this when Jean Arthur was star of the month. I enjoyed and thought Arthur and Robinson did a fine job. (I love Jean in anything.)

Maybe it is me but I didn't find much in it that made me think of Ford. That's not bad as it is curious.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Waaaaiiiittt a minute!!!!

You folks are talking about John Ford - The Searchers, The Quiet Man, The Long Grey Line - John Ford - Right??????

Never, in two million years would I think he directed The Whole Towns Talking. This cinches it, he was the greatest director that ever lived!!!!! If that sour, hard headed, contankerous man directed it, he had to be on drugs at the time. :roll:

Do you think I'm flabbergasted? I'm flabbergasted!!! This stuff can't be made up either! I will have to watch it again next time it's on even if I do have to hear Jean Arthurs tinny voice, and see her lemon sucking lips pursed. :cry:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I love "The Whole town's Talking." It is the kind of movie, like "The Long Voyage Home," (which is really NOT a comedy) that gets ignored because it isn't "Fordian" enough.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow! I'm "flabbergasted" too, like Anne---because you, dear ChiO, have started a thread on one of Pappy's movies!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure you didn't start to watch it thinking it was directed by Sam Fuller? I guess I should return the gesture by starting a thread on Forty Guns. :wink:

This is the first movie that made Hollywood sit up and take notice of Jean Arthur's gifts for comedy. We can thank Mr. Ford for giving us one of the most treasured screwball comediennes.

Some of my favorite movies by Ford are his so-called "studio pictures", the ones that people say aren't "Fordian enough". I'm glad to discover that there is much, much more to John Ford's output (and that of other directors), than what's on the treasured lists hard-line "auteurists" tend to limit themselves to for consideration. Making movies in Hollywood has always been collaborative but that doesn't mean a director couldn't do some very worthy work within the confines of a studio.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

See, MissG, how tolerant and all-inclusive I am. I can enjoy Mr. Ford, even if he is the 2nd best director of Westerns whose last name begins with "F". :P

What surprised me was: (1) I did not remember the movie, even after having recently read Eyman's Print the Legend (only two passing references to the movie in the book), (2) a screwball comedy! by John Ford!!, and (3) it was enjoyable.
Some of my favorite movies by Ford are his so-called "studio pictures", the ones that people say aren't "Fordian enough".
After one of my whiney "Why, oh why, is it that Ford just does not connect with me?" discussions with another friend who is a big Ford fan (see how tolerant and all-inclusive I am -- TWO such friends!), he made a similar suggestion -- that is, that I forget the "classics", especially the Westerns, because they come with so many preconceived notions and, instead, focus on the films that tend to attract less notice.

And wait until you see which Ford films I vote for in the Western poll.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote:And wait until you see which Ford films I vote for in the Western poll.
I'm all pins and needles! :wink: