Arguably, a cameo worth the rental/purchase price

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
klondike

Arguably, a cameo worth the rental/purchase price

Post by klondike »

Huh, what's klondike doin' in the (romantic) Comedy forum?!! :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:
No, ain't no funky mushrooms at work here . .
Just finished watching a light 'n breezy indie romantic/screwball/culture comedy called Christmas in the Clouds (2004); not exactly a strong film, certainly not a great one, definitely an imaginative one, though, featuring some very sparkly, clever moments, never condescending or contrived, and, for the most part, being pretty darn successful in stepping over and around most racial stereotypes.
Particularly fun, I guess, if you have Native in-laws, as I do.
But . . perhaps the most noteworthy thing in retrospect about this neatly-wrapped holiday offering could be the delightfully cockeyed cameo appearance of Wes Studi, as himself, turning up on an invitation to call for a Xmas Eve bingo raffle, wearing (me kid you not) a Royal Stewart kilt & Prince Charlie jacket.
"I let my wife dress me tonight," he quips merrily, "and she's Scottish!"
And the crowning in-joke for this rollicking scene?
Grand prize for the raffle is a brand new Jeep Cherokee!
My wife's only complaint? The Mohawk gal visiting the ski lodge from Back East was played by Greek-American actress Mariana Tosca. :x
All the other portrayals were racially accurate, she observed; why is it that her Nation always get miscast? Thankfully, she let it go before she fired up her Black Robe rant.
OK, so, I can recommend this one, if not as an entertainment meal, at least as a big, fun tray of appetizers.