Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
ken123

Parent Trap

Post by ken123 »

Any views ? :D
jdb1

Re: Parent Trap

Post by jdb1 »

What comments are you looking for Ken? IMO, the early 60s version with Hayley Mills is lightyears better than the more recent version for myriad reasons. This was a movie that we kids loved, and our elders did as well. I still enjoy watching it.

I actually thought Lohan wasn't bad in the newer version, but she's nowhere near as good as Mills (who as a 17-year-old was entirely convincing as 13-year-old twins, and I still feel the same about her performance). PT is my favorite Disney movie, actually -- less tacky and thrown-together looking than a lot of the studio's others of that time. And the trapped parents of the earlier version were much more believable than in the later version (as was the father's girlfriend--was it Joanna Barnes?). Who wouldn't want a glamorous and loving mother like O'Hara. OK, OK, we do have that splitting up the twins issue, but I suppose political correctness wasn't on our minds way back then. I don't dislike the remake, but I like the original much better.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

[quote="jdb1"]What comments are you looking for Ken? IMO, the early 60s version with Hayley Mills is lightyears better than the more recent version for myriad reasons. This was a movie that we kids loved, and our elders did as well. I still enjoy watching it.

I actually thought Lohan wasn't bad in the newer version, but she's nowhere near as good as Mills (who as a 17-year-old was entirely convincing as 13-year-old twins, and I still feel the same about her performance). PT is my favorite Disney movie, actually -- less tacky and thrown-together looking than a lot of the studio's others of that time. And the trapped parents of the earlier version were much more believable than in the later version (as was the father's girlfriend--was it Joanna Barnes?). Who wouldn't want a glamorous and loving mother like O'Hara. OK, OK, we do have that splitting up the twins issue, but I suppose political correctness wasn't on our minds way back then. I don't dislike the remake, but I like the original much better.[/q

Judith,
I was looking for a comparison between the original and the remake, does this version hold up,really any comments at all. Among the reviews of this version at Amazon is a comment about the vioience in the first version, and specificaly the scene were Maureen O ' Hara takes a poke at Brian Keith after having one to many. The reviewer was not being tongue in cheek Yes, Joanna Barnes is Mitch's girlfriend, who in real life had a birthday recently
:D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

And Joanna Barnes played the MOTHER of the gold digger in the second one.
Haley Mills is the same age I am, and I thought she was the teen age ideal when I was 13. Wait a minute, did you say she was SEVENTEEN???? WOO HOO, I'm younger than she is!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

In her autobiography Maureen O ' Hara tells of her struggles with the Disney studio over which performer gets top billing in this film. Disney was pushing Hayley Mills, while Ms O ' Hara say her contract stipulated that she must receive the # 1 spot.