Designing Woman

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
mrsl

Designing Woman

Post by mrsl »

I haven't seen this since I was a teenager and boy have my values changed since then :!: :!: :!: :x

It's supposed to be a comedy, and I know that, and your sense of humor is expected to allow you to accept the foolish things that happen. Well, I can accept that silly Max sleeping with his eyes open, and I can accept falling in love in the space of a week, and I can accept dumping a plate of ravioli into your ex-boyfriends lap. I can handle all of that but in the last sentence above, the key word was
ex-boyfriend, and that is where I draw the line. I like Lauren Bacall, and I like her even more since reading her book, she seems like a real person you might meet at a cafe and strike up a conversation with. I've also always thought Gregory Peck was special, and the thought of the two of them together seemed superior, especially since it helped Lauren while Bogey was literally dying in front of her face. My problem is, I've never understood jealousy, I know how and what it is and happens, but this whole film is based on her finding a photo of his old girlfriend, at his apartment which he has not been in for three weeks, during which time they met and married. In point of fact, she found it in pieces on the floor, and through the rest of the movie, she put him through heck about it and for what? He never told her he lived in a monastery until they met, nor was he studying for the priesthood, so why would it be so unusual to find photos of another woman around?

I like comedy and I'm willing to let my inhibitions go in order to enjoy a good laugh, but when my logical, sensitive, moral, and mature senses are attacked, I have a hard time finding the fun in it. One short scene of silly jealousy with her giving him a hard time would have been okay, but the entire rest of the movie was about it, and that is too much.

Well, I guess I'll have to ask this forum before deciding to check out a comedy.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Re: Designing Woman

Post by JackFavell »

I liked Sam Levene as Peck's boss. A LOT! I wished he'd been in every scene. And maybe then they got rid of everyone else. Especially the poodle. Oh, but I though Chuck Connors was good too. Nice hoodlum accent.

I agree it was a bit much, the carrying on and on. I liked that Bacall tried to inject a little humorousness into the situation, working her way up to each bout of jealous rage.... she tried valiantly and so did Peck. It was kind of fun for a few minutes on a Saturday morning... but a whole movie of lying and jealousy? Nah.

I couldn't understand why Peck felt the need to lie to her... or why he went to the ex to ask her to lie for him. NOW that made no sense, and of course we knew that Bacall was going to end up finding him at the ex's apartment.

Did I mention how much I liked Sam Levene? He has a great voice, and a very relaxed style of acting. I just loved him.

The rest of the movie, I agree with you, mrsl.

yikes!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JackFavell wrote: Oh, but I though Chuck Connors was good too. Nice hoodlum accent.

Since Connors was from Brooklyn, we can assume he was merely speaking his native language. :lol:
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:
JackFavell wrote: Oh, but I though Chuck Connors was good too. Nice hoodlum accent.

Since Connors was from Brooklyn, we can assume he was mere ly speaking his native language. :lol:
Lol
Lol
Betty Bacall - Loved by my late mother.

1923 - 2007

ther l e
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I remember thinking that it was rather silly to be so upset about Dolores Grey, but all the Runyonesque characters filled out the rather shaky premise of Designing Women, and I also enjoyed Grey's performance in The Opposite Sex. She looked great in all those wild outfits.

I think if I'd been lucky enough to snag Gregory Peck, I'd been happy enough to rattle them pots and pans, and leave the green scene to somebody else.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I watched this one last night and don't really disagree with anything anyone has said. The supporting cast was fun and there were some funny lines but overall the premise seemed odd.

Why indeed would Lauren be so worried about an ex-girlfriend when she had him to come home to every night. Why would Peck worry so much about it when he is coming home to Lauren. Nobody trusts each other. It might be different if all this happened after they were married but it doesn't. It is a little hard, for me, to see Bacall being so worried about Peck. It seems a lack of self confidence when the rest of her life exudes it. But, I guess, love can do that to people.

It tried to be a little screwball at the end with all the missed connections and fighting. The restaurant scene was well played.

It was okay but maybe time hasn't been as kind to the situation.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's so forced... everyone is trying SOOO hard.... it's too bad.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like this comedy (He said as he rekindled a two year-old thread!). What's lacking in credibility is made up for in fun. I enjoy the conflicts, the snappy dialogue, the silly quirks. Max the punchy boxer is my favorite character. How could he not be? I also like Sam Levene, though I can never remember his name. He's a dependable actor. So are the leads in this film. The often solemn Peck slides comfortably into the lighter side. Mrs. Bogart is sexy, strong and just bitchy enough. I have no problem with this one!