The Lady Eve

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
JackFavell

Re: The Lady Eve

Post by JackFavell »

You know, Fonda keeps growing and growing in my estimation.... he was so versatile, and never seems to be a caricature. He was able to do so many types of characters.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I enjoy Henry Fonda's performances so much in Mister Roberts, The Oxbow Incident, The Grapes of Wrath, Twelve Angry Men, Once Upon A Time in the West, and even The Cheyenne Social Club when he and Jimmy Stewart bantered and milked a scene even beyond the possible.

But it was Once Upon a Time in the West that made me realize his depth and range. I guess because it was such a departure from many of his other showcased portrayals.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

In very quick sucession I've seen The Lady Eve, The Grapes of Wrath, The Ox Bow Incident, Tales of Manhattan and My Darling Clementine. That's some range. Still I think Hopsie is my very favorite, it's hard not to love Hopsie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, my favorite performance by Fonda is as Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath, and second favorite is in Fort Apache.

But my favorite character is Wyatt Earp in My Darling Clementine. I love Wyatt - he is so quiet and embarrassed with Clementine and the rest of the townsfolk, and yet he can just as quietly threaten the men at the bar. I like the flush of shock and pleasure on his face when Clementine asks if he will accompany her to the dance. I also like the way he spends about five minutes trying to decide whether to risk actually dancing with her, he looks SO uncomfortable while he's working it out, but once he does, this pent-up man throws caution to the wind, and his hat.

I agree that seeing him in Once Upon a Time in the West put him higher on my list - my estimation of him is as a great actor.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

One of the times I guess some would consider me lucky is when I picked up the directors cut Once Upon a Time In the West, for $5.00 in the Walmart clearance bin. However, the DVD is still in the folder, wrapped in the original cellophane and tape, because I've never been able to bring myself to watch the movie. Years ago I saw the very beginning scenes and I don't know if I could watch it, because I'm so used to Hank as a nice guy. I truly hate him in Fort Apache and if it wasn't for the rest of the cast that I love, I would have a hard time watching that. But John Wayne, Shirley, and all the women make up for Hank.

I can't remember if it was the Lady Eve, or The Big Street, where I saw Hank first and didn't really like him because of the characters he played, but then as time went on, I started to realize how good he was, and it all culminated when I saw Mr. Roberts. Maybe one of these boring days, I'll open that cellophane and watch.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You don't have to, if you don't want to! It's OK! Just enjoy him the way he is right now in your mind. Cause if you hate him in Fort Apache, you will most certainly be sick to your stomach despising him in OUATITW.

It took me a long time to work up the nerve to watch it myself, and it's not for the squeamish.... I also found it pretty hard to get through, simply because of the pacing. It's a tough watch. I'm glad I did, and I did end up liking the film, but I don't want to do it again for some time.

Not to talk about him in a movie you hate, but I am simply fascinated with his performance in Fort Apache. I think he is brilliant.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I forgot I'd seen him in Fort Apache recently. Now that really is a film that shows his range as an actor. It's such an unsympathetic part and he makes him so believable, I searched for some humanity in him, yet it only showed towards the very end. Fort Apache is a Ford film I really enjoyed.

Henry Fonda did lots of plays on Broadway too, were I believe he was just as respected.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Jack:

I agree 100% that Fonda is brilliant in Fort Apache, and not only with managing the fort, and the men, determining how to react to the Indians, and his daughter, Friday was a totally reprehensible, self serving megalomaniac. He could do no wrong, and nobody could allude to the possibility. The fool leaves his 17 year old daughter to start up a home for them to live in, but she's too young to have a caller, out WEST where one's background didn't count and the 'wrong side of the tracks' did not yet exist. Then a few years later he's a loving, thoughtful father and husband as the original Papa on Walton's mountain.

You don't need to restrict Henry Fonda to Fort Apache, his whole career was 100% brilliant. And again, I'm not that big a fan. :!:

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

mrsl wrote:.
One of the times I guess some would consider me lucky is when I picked up the directors cut Once Upon a Time In the West, for $5.00 in the Walmart clearance bin. However, the DVD is still in the folder, wrapped in the original cellophane and tape, because I've never been able to bring myself to watch the movie.

Oh Anne, please don't deprive yourself of this film viewing experience. I have an elitist acquaintance, who thought all westerns were for the birds, watch this film and tell me he thought it was among the greatest movies ever made. Please, give it a go, despite whatever you may think of watching Fonda play a bad guy. I personally rank it among my own favorite films.

-S.