The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

HowardRoarkSheffield

Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Postby HowardRoarkSheffield » May 26th, 2013, 7:29 am

Earlier this week was my birthday, and one the best gifts I was given was the box set of the Thin Man Movies. And I was wondering..what are peoples favourite Thin Man movies. I mean personally I love the first two without a doubt, but the other films give so much to the audience as well.
HowardRoarkSheffield
Crying over the fact I was born a hundred years too late.
Contact me: rosalindhulse@hotmail.com
http://roshulse.tumblr.com/

intothenitrate

Re: Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Postby intothenitrate » May 26th, 2013, 8:05 am

Happy birthday! I don't have all of them in my collection. Honestly, they all kind of run together in my mind. When I'm in the mood, I'll put one in and enjoy the ride. For me, the plots are secondary to the atmosphere generated by Powell and Loy's chemistry...more specifically, Myrna's warmth and tolerance. It's also morbidly fascinating to me to watch the copious amounts of liquor -- served in tall water glasses -- that Nick consumes.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » May 27th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Happy Birthday Belated ...

I am a big THIN MAN fan myself and I for one enjoyed the partnership of LOY and POWELL in this enduring drama/comedy that set the stage of LOY's charm and POWELL's magnetism of which has no end in sight. I find them to be so enduring and so ever grateful of the time that they spent together on screen of the way they pull off capers at the end; its amazing of how much JOY that they offer on film.

To me, all of their films is so good except that I've not seen The Thin Man Goes Home (1945) ...

The Thin Man (1934)
After the Thin Man (1936)
Another Thin Man (1939)
Shadow of the Thin Man (1941)
The Thin Man Goes Home (1945)
Song of the Thin Man (1947)

My favorite of the six movies that they did together is After the Thin Man (1936) that co-starred with JIMMY STEWART as David Graham. This is a great movie and the caper was stunted when Selma (being played by Elissa Landi) insists that she never fired her gun, and Nick is now obliged to investigate and determine the true killer here. I just love the action and the high drama/comedy in this crazy and mixed up film that came out in 1936.

HowardRoarkSheffield

Postby HowardRoarkSheffield » May 28th, 2013, 3:39 am

The box set is worth buying...it has two documentaries one on Powell and one on Loy.
HowardRoarkSheffield
Crying over the fact I was born a hundred years too late.
Contact me: rosalindhulse@hotmail.com
http://roshulse.tumblr.com/

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » May 28th, 2013, 7:13 am

The first one will always be my favorite, but I like After The Thin Man almost as well. Nick and Nora are two of my favorite characters and they could not have found two more appropriate performers to bring them to life. Oh, and Asta! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

RedRiver

Postby RedRiver » May 30th, 2013, 11:43 am

As a fan of classic crime fiction, these adaptations are a little too light for me. They're good. Especially the first one. But the book is so much harder and tougher. So is the drinking, for that matter. Compared to Dashiell Hammett's sleuthing couple, Powell and Loy are practically on the wagon! This is an entertaining show and a classic. But I prefer Hammett's MALTESE FALCON and THE GLASS KEY.

Return to “Comedies”