Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
HowardRoarkSheffield

Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Post by HowardRoarkSheffield »

Earlier this week was my birthday, and one the best gifts I was given was the box set of the Thin Man Movies. And I was wondering..what are peoples favourite Thin Man movies. I mean personally I love the first two without a doubt, but the other films give so much to the audience as well.
[b][color=#FF0000]HowardRoarkSheffield [/color][/b]
[i]Crying over the fact I was born a hundred years too late. [/i]
[color=#FF0000]Contact me: [email protected] [/color]
http://roshulse.tumblr.com/
intothenitrate

Re: Best Birthday Present EVER: THIN MAN BOX SET

Post by intothenitrate »

Happy birthday! I don't have all of them in my collection. Honestly, they all kind of run together in my mind. When I'm in the mood, I'll put one in and enjoy the ride. For me, the plots are secondary to the atmosphere generated by Powell and Loy's chemistry...more specifically, Myrna's warmth and tolerance. It's also morbidly fascinating to me to watch the copious amounts of liquor -- served in tall water glasses -- that Nick consumes.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Happy Birthday Belated ...

I am a big THIN MAN fan myself and I for one enjoyed the partnership of LOY and POWELL in this enduring drama/comedy that set the stage of LOY's charm and POWELL's magnetism of which has no end in sight. I find them to be so enduring and so ever grateful of the time that they spent together on screen of the way they pull off capers at the end; its amazing of how much JOY that they offer on film.

To me, all of their films is so good except that I've not seen The Thin Man Goes Home (1945) ...

The Thin Man (1934)
After the Thin Man (1936)
Another Thin Man (1939)
Shadow of the Thin Man (1941)
The Thin Man Goes Home (1945)
Song of the Thin Man (1947)

My favorite of the six movies that they did together is After the Thin Man (1936) that co-starred with JIMMY STEWART as David Graham. This is a great movie and the caper was stunted when Selma (being played by Elissa Landi) insists that she never fired her gun, and Nick is now obliged to investigate and determine the true killer here. I just love the action and the high drama/comedy in this crazy and mixed up film that came out in 1936.
HowardRoarkSheffield

Post by HowardRoarkSheffield »

The box set is worth buying...it has two documentaries one on Powell and one on Loy.
[b][color=#FF0000]HowardRoarkSheffield [/color][/b]
[i]Crying over the fact I was born a hundred years too late. [/i]
[color=#FF0000]Contact me: [email protected] [/color]
http://roshulse.tumblr.com/
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The first one will always be my favorite, but I like After The Thin Man almost as well. Nick and Nora are two of my favorite characters and they could not have found two more appropriate performers to bring them to life. Oh, and Asta! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As a fan of classic crime fiction, these adaptations are a little too light for me. They're good. Especially the first one. But the book is so much harder and tougher. So is the drinking, for that matter. Compared to Dashiell Hammett's sleuthing couple, Powell and Loy are practically on the wagon! This is an entertaining show and a classic. But I prefer Hammett's MALTESE FALCON and THE GLASS KEY.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Here is my ranking of the best serial Hollywood ever made (IMO):

The Thin Man (1934) - the one that started it all.
Song of the Thin Man (1947) - last one but I love that jazz is at the heart of this and it features Gloria Grahame
After the Thin Man (1936) - Jimmy Stewart is a treat, but unless Nick is cracking-wise at Nora's family, that family brings this down a notch.
Shadow of the Thin Man (1941) - an early Donny Reed is a nice addition, as well as Sam Levine as the detective. A film with a character named Rainbow Benny has to be something.
Another Thin Man (1939) - Solid cast with Virgina Grey, C. Audrey Smith and Otto Kruger (as well as an underused Ruth Hussey). One of the best mystery plots of any of the films (but the first one), even if somewhat confusing.
The Thin Man Goes Home (1945) - this one takes too long to really get going but still a worthwhile watch.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Ach! Another one of those "who's your favorite child" type questions. ;)

I find them all enjoyable. However, one of my favorite lines comes from AFTER THE THIN MAN....As Nick and Nora are walking up the steps of a nightclub on New Year's Eve just as a man is tossed down a short part of the stairway and Nick replies;

"My, what large confetti they throw here." :lol:

Congratulations on your gift. And don't forget to respond in kind. ;)

Sepiatone
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Sepiatone wrote: May 30th, 2023, 12:37 pm Ach! Another one of those "who's your favorite child" type questions. ;)

I find them all enjoyable. However, one of my favorite lines comes from AFTER THE THIN MAN....As Nick and Nora are walking up the steps of a nightclub on New Year's Eve just as a man is tossed down a short part of the stairway and Nick replies;

"My, what large confetti they throw here." :lol:

Congratulations on your gift. And don't forget to respond in kind. ;)

Sepiatone
The man being tossed is Paul Fix, best known as the sheriff in The Rifleman. Yea, that is one great line Nick says to club owner Dancer (played by Joseph Calleia one of my favorite supporting actors during the studio-era).