Her Cardboard Lover (1942)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Cinemaspeak59

Her Cardboard Lover (1942)

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Her Cardboard Lover (1942) This rom-com, directed by George Cukor, has an interesting plot: Norma Shearer hires Robert Taylor (sporting a Bela Lugosi Dracula haircut with a point down the middle) to protect her from herself. Norma plays a Palm Beach vacationer hopelessly in love with a womanizer, played by, who else, George Sanders. Shearer hates that she can’t control herself when she’s around him. So she hires Taylor’s character, who owes her a gambling debt, to pay it off by being Norma’s secretary and, more importantly, keeping her away from Sanders, a job he does too well, since he’s also in love with her. The chemistry between Shearer and Taylor is okay. But not as charged as her scenes with Sanders. Had a few clunky scenes been taken out, Her Cardboard Lover would have had more of the Cukor touch. Still a lot to like: Harry Stradling’s rich B&W photography, the elegant atmosphere, and of course Norma Shearer. This was a remake of the excellent 1932 comedy The Passionate Plumber.
TikiSoo

Re: Her Cardboard Lover (1942)

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks for that synopsis & opinion!
I usually watch anything with Sanders in it, but the double turn-off of Shearer/Taylor kept me away (I find them both bland)
But I like the idea of the plot & will give it a try!