Designing Woman

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
MikeBSG

Designing Woman

Post by MikeBSG »

I just watched "Designing Woman" on DVD the other day. I had never read much about it, but it proved a pleasant surprise.

Did they watch "The Lady Eve" before making this? It was fun to see Gregory Peck be put in silly situations. Watching that dignity under assault was fun. "Maxie," the ex-boxer, was vaguely reminiscent of william Demarest's character in the Sturges film.

In a way, this was a cross between "It's Always Fair Weather," with the crooked fight game and some of the music, and "Les Girls," with several perspectives on the story. I guess what I liked was that both Peck and Bacall went on having their own careers despite marriage. In fact, marriage vs. career never came up as a topic (just that they couldn't stand the people in their spouse's careers.) A fun movie.
feaito

Post by feaito »

This is one of my favorite comedies. I think that Peck and Bacall have a perfect chemistry in it. I've always thought that it is kind of an unofficial remake or revamping of Kate and Spencer's "Woman of the Year". Dolores Gray is great as the "other woman".