Who do you prefer? Cantor or Jolson?

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Bogie

Who do you prefer? Cantor or Jolson?

Post by Bogie »

Ok I've seen like 2 Eddie Cantor movies and they fall mostly within comedy and the one Jolson movie i've seen pretty much is in the same vein. If Jolson wasn't really comedic then I dunno someone can move this thread somewhere else.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed the Eddie Cantor movies i've seen. He had a fish out of water quality that was very endearing and while his singing style was like Jolson, very archaic he did at least carry the tune well. I loved that "under the moonlight" song in The Kid From Spain.

I only vaguely remember the Jolson movie I saw but it did have him in blackface and he was highly entertaining. I know lots of people today look at blackface in disdain but as I recall reading somewhere Jolson actually did it more out of respect then racism. I'm not sure about Cantor but the two seemed very similar.

Anyways thoughts would be appreciated.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I always look forward to seeing an Eddie Cantor movie on the schedule. I have not seen nearly as much of his work as I'd like to. I've recorded the Kid From Spain, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I find him fairly funny and can tolerate the musical interludes, especially when they're given a comic slant. One vote for Mr. Cantor.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I cast a vote for Cantor as well. He was much more comfortable in films, I think, than was Jolson, who was essentially a stage performer.

Most of Cantor's films are corny, but funny and entertaining. Jolson's cinematic output isn't all that great.
Moraldo Rubini

Six of one; half a dozen of the other?

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

[quote"SPTO"]Who do you prefer? Cantor or Jolson?[/quote]
Do you mean their work in movies, or in general. Eddie Cantor's movies seem to be a bag of whimsy and fancy mixed with some terribly clumsy and tired comedy. Which is the movie that ends with the two-strip color segment at a giant ice cream factory? Roman Scandals used to be my favorite of his, but it's been decades now since I last saw it.

Jolson was one of the greatest performers of the 20th century. But we only get a slim hint of it in his Hollywood body of work. His showmanship and stage appeal, his ability to sell a song to a live audience; this was said to have been his forte. I always look at his stage number in The Jazz Singer as the closest I'll get to the "real" thing. I have Jolson recordings and they're pretty special. I couldn't imagine listening to an album of Eddie Cantor's though.

So I'll vote for Eddie's movies and Joly's recordings.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Well you could base it on whatever you want. I'll agree that Jolson didn't seem to translate too well to film. The Jazz Singer is supposed to come on next month (I think) so i'm looking forward to that immensely.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Cantor.

I'm not a fan of Al Jolson.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Neither.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Personally, although I do laugh at Eddie Cantor sometimes, I still think he's a poor imitation, on screen, of Jolson on stage.

Is The Jazz Singer the original with Jolson for sure, or the talkie with Neil Diamond?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

mrsl wrote:
Is The Jazz Singer the original with Jolson for sure, or the talkie with Neil Diamond?

Anne
Well according to the schedule I read on the TCM site it's the original.
TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

Eddie Cantor's sometimes corny musical performances and screen personna are endearing.

Jolson's few screen appearances are not particularly memorable in themselves. Jolson's recordings, and especially the Larry Parks portrayals in The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again are how most folks remember Jolson.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Talkie Time:

Exactly, just as most peoples conception of Enrique Caruso is really of Mario Lanza.

Thank you SPTO:

After having been the victim of 'she who shall remain nameless' so often, I have very little interest in going over there except to occasionally check out a movie that, as in this case, may be coming on, but I usually just go to imdB. I went on the other day and found nothing, and nobody I cared to waste time on except Miss Goddess, but I can converse with her here in a much more pleasant atmosphere.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************