Stan and Ollie

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Stan and Ollie

Post by movieman1957 »

It's funny about the ball. My dad teases my brother that when we were kids he gave him a stick as a toy. That way if he broke it he had two toys.

We have two dachshunds. Neither one all their lives have ever played with a toy. When they were little we used to play ball with their mother. They would chase her when she went after the ball. After she died - nothing. I think they are 11 or 12.

You two have fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

haaaaaa!! That's hilarious about the stick! It sounds like something my father would say, too.

My cousins had doxies...they're such cute doggies. I can't remember them playing with toys, either.

Are they named Stan and Ollie? :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No. They are Carolann's dogs. One is named Abby. (There are a host of nicknames.) The other is Picabo. (Pee-a-boo because when she was born she started to come out and went back in. This then caused a c-section for the mother. I'm thinking what dog needs a C-section. So several hundred dollars later we had three dogs. I'm just glad there weren't more.

So anytime there are dachshunds on TV everything stops. She loves "The Weiner Dog Races." (No. We don't dress ours up.)
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That was so cute! Flixie has a lot of energy. He looks very cute and wiry and muscular, but of course, it's hard to tell since he doesn't seem to stand still very long. Is he always that way, or just during L&H movies? :D

Alice has really good taste.... she liked Pack Up Your Troubles the best. Partway through she said, "Mom, this one's the funniest."

She also got a kick out of Stanley filling the wine bottles in The Bohemian Girl, which is the part I always waited around to watch.

I hate those stupid tests they run, always when you are desperate for a recording. At the end of Pardon Us, I think it was, the movie cut to the ending of a documentary. Just a film clip and the credits. It was weird.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm so glad Alice likes Stan and Ollie!

Their day really brought my stress level down. Ordinarily I would be worried about being up so late on a work night, but having them on in the background kept me calm.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tell Alice she has excellent taste. (She must get it from her mother.)
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, lookie at your new avatar! Is that from Hide-Out?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I'm so glad Alice likes Stan and Ollie!

Their day really brought my stress level down. Ordinarily I would be worried about being up so late on a work night, but having them on in the background kept me calm.
I find Stan very soothing but sometimes Ollie worries me when I start to think about the way that he treats Stan. Also, Ollie gets so upset that I am not sure it's good for his blood pressure. I love Ollie's attempts to keep marital peace, though that is usually based on telling lies. :roll:

I loved The Bohemian Girl, which I don't think I've ever seen.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Moira wrote
love Ollie's attempts to keep marital peace, though that is usually based on telling lies.
That is because, somehow, he winds up married to some women who are not so nice. (It is better than getting beat up which must be in the back of his mind.) Stan suffers from that too. If you've seen "Blotto" then you know.

There were a couple of times when Stan suffered the same problems as Ollie but it seemed as the years went by Stan had that happen less. "Helpmates" is the best example.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I would tell lies if I were married to Mae Busch!

I don't see Ollie as mean to Stanley, exactly. Stanley gets let off the hook more often than Ollie, in everything but especially with the wives, and that makes Ollie more frustrated. Alice asked me why Ollie is the one who always gets hurt - you know, if Charlie Hall or Walter Long is picking a fight, Stanley might do something, but Ollie will be the one who gets socked.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:I would tell lies if I were married to Mae Busch!

I don't see Ollie as mean to Stanley, exactly. Stanley gets let off the hook more often than Ollie, in everything but especially with the wives, and that makes Ollie more frustrated. Alice asked me why Ollie is the one who always gets hurt - you know, if Charlie Hall or Walter Long is picking a fight, Stanley might do something, but Ollie will be the one who gets socked.
I think that Ollie gets hit because he can take it and his earlier behavior seems to warrant some rough justice.

Chris and JF: I agree about the lying! The boys never seem to have the happiest home life and I'm always happy to see them escape at least once in awhile.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yep, it's Hide-Out, one of my faves.

I love Stan and Ollie's wives and their attempts to get away from them for some fun are hilarious!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

When I was a kid I loved The Bohemian Girl - I can't think why, it's not got a lot of the boys in it.... It must have been the upscale (for Roach) costumes,
the music, and those lovely settings in the snow. It's funny to go back and watch it now, because I remember I just loved Arlene's hair.... looking at it now, it looks hard as a rock. I thought she was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen.

I guess the magic of Hollywood struck hard into a six year old's heart.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I remember Laughing Gravy so vividly from my childhood, also the one with the jigsaw which I can never remember the name of, when I was little it was important to hear them speak. Bless, they are like naughty boys but I do like to see them come out on top.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Laughing Gravy was the one I really wanted a copy of, and one of the ones I didn't get. I think it's one of the best.

I was happy to see the ones with Walter Long - his are the ones I remember from my childhood the most, probably because he scared the dickens out of me. And the fact that Stan and Ollie always ended up with their heads on backwards or something when he was around.