Stan and Ollie

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It has certainly been shown more than their other features with the possible recent exception of "Way Out West."

The fact that "Saps At Sea" fits nicely into an hour may help. However, with "A Chump At Oxford", "Block Heads and some of their very early features having gone missing for two years or so another would be a welcome substitute.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Our boys made it to the cover of TCM's "Now Playing" guide.

Here is the picture that served for the cover.

Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think so. What makes it even better was how close they were as friends. I have an old VHS tape where Stan's daughter shows some old home movies and photographs and she always called Ollie "Uncle Babe."

It's such a wonderful background story to their on screen relationship.
Chris

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I liked the fact that they were friends - or gave every appearance as friends - for their entire association. I'm sure there were spats and arguments, but they managed to put their Best Selfish Interests well above their Least Selfish Interests, and it gave all of us a great amount of entertainment.

One of my favorite movie scenes is in the Doris Day-Rod Taylor film GLASS BOTTOM BOAT, where Doris has charmed "General" Edward Andrews and Dick Martin into her guest room for a midnight tryst in bed. "Get into bed, leave the lights off and wait for me."

And Doris knows she's set the two men up to be alone in bed together, only to be discovered by Rod Taylor when he barges into the room later.

Dick Martin puts on his best Stanley face, does the raised-hand head-scratch and looks totally defeated.

One of my favorite Laurel & Hardy scenes ever.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

John:

Do you recall the title of your friend's book?
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks. I always look for new books on L & H. ( And available on Amazon.)
Chris

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I have seen Mr. Skretvedt in several documentaries and compilations dealing with L&H. I can see his face. Do you remember him, Chris?

I was home earlier this week, and watched a whole afternoon of Tales from the Darkside (all of them pretty weak). One featured Chuck McCann as a nightclub impressionist, and he did a very brief L&H routine. His Ollie was better than his Stan, voice-wise, but McCann has been one of the better L&H performers over the years.

John, there are a lot of books out (but maybe not all in print) about L&H. My two favorites are Babe, by John McCabe, and Stan, by Fred Guiles. Both of our heroes lived long and interesting lives before they ever teamed up, and both books are great reading.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

I don't recall seeing him. I've always found those documentaries hard to come by.

Speaking of impressionists, do you remember the take of them on the old Dick Van Dyke show? While Dick did a pretty good Stan I thought the man who did Ollie was quite good as well. I don't remember seeing him in anything else.

Thanks for the reminder on those books. I do have "The Films of Laurel and Hardy" by William Everson. I've worn that one out. The only other is "The Comedy World of Stan Laurel" by McCabe.
Chris

ken123

Post by ken123 »

Henry Calvin played Ollie in the Dick Van Dyke show. Mr. Calvin may be remembered as Sergeant Garcia on The Zorro TV series starring Guy Williams. :wink:
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

There's also "Mr. Laurel and Mr. Hardy." Is that one McCabe as well? If only Little Lois would write her memoirs. Or has she done so already?