Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

The one with the puzzle is "Me and My Pal."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Re: Stan and Ollie

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I must have watched Me and My Pal more than any others but I'm never sure I got to the conclusion. In the seventies the children's programming finished at 5.35 and Laurel and Hardy ran until 6pm whe the news came on, if we were lucky we either had our evening meal before or after Stan and Ollie but usually it was smack bang in the middle of an episode.

I like the feature where Stan is discovered in a trench 20 years after the war finished, I think it's called Blotto, the other feature I adore is Sons of the Desert. Never was a L&H feature shown on British TV only the shorts.

I've remembered another favorite, The Music Box, I never tire of it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The movie where Stan remains in the trench is "Block Heads." No one told him the war was over and he never bothered to check. "Blotto" is a good one where Stan and Ollie are going out on the town (against Stan's wife's wishes) and Stan thinks he has stolen his wife's liquor so they can get drunk. It has one of their best "laughing" scenes.

In "Me and My Pal" the more people who come to get Stan and Ollie for the wedding (that is what they are kept from by doing the puzzle) the more get involved in doing the puzzle until a fight breaks out. In the middle of all this Ollie gets a telegram that he does not read that costs him. It turns out to be a bad day.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Block Heads and The Music Box are great. Alice's first was The Music Box - it's so good, it almost spoiled her for other L&H movies and shorts.
charliechaplinfan

movieman1957 wrote:The movie where Stan remains in the trench is "Block Heads." No one told him the war was over and he never bothered to check. "Blotto" is a good one where Stan and Ollie are going out on the town (against Stan's wife's wishes) and Stan thinks he has stolen his wife's liquor so they can get drunk. It has one of their best "laughing" scenes.

In "Me and My Pal" the more people who come to get Stan and Ollie for the wedding (that is what they are kept from by doing the puzzle) the more get involved in doing the puzzle until a fight breaks out. In the middle of all this Ollie gets a telegram that he does not read that costs him. It turns out to be a bad day.
I've never known where to go before to find out which plot line is from which L & H film, it's not something I've found on the internet, until now. Thanks Chris :wink:

For the record if I get the L&H out for my kids, we have to watch Laughing Gravy, the one with the tree (Big Business), the one were everyone loses their pants (You're Darn Tootin') Brats and Twice Two. In Brats they play children with disasterous consequences and Twice Twp they play each others wives. Joe thinks the way to enjoy a film is to watch it again ad again, I'm hoping he might grow out of this as he gets older.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tell Joe it is more fun to watch them together but it is not required. Of course as he gets older he may not want anything to do with his parents.

It is nice you have a few silents in there. Those are practically never shown.
Chris

charliechaplinfan

That's a shame, the silents are some of the best. Musical accompaniment suits Stan and Ollie.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If you hadn't had enough of Stan and Babe you can catch them in "Our Relations" on March 5 at 6am ET. I know it is way out in time but I'd forget later.

"Air Raid Wardens" follows on March 30 3:30pm ET.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I didn't get to see most of the marathon so I'm glad to see any Stan & Ollie on the schedule, any time. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was such a wonderful, warm hearted month, with the Rascals and Stan and Ollie. I miss them already.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have a dreadful confession to make, which is, I'm not a Laurel and Hardy fan. I remain stony faced no matter what watching their films.

Please don't beat me up! ;)

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that the comic strip Luann has a running storyline this week about the strip's resident slacker, Knute, finally getting intellectual-feminist Crystal to agree to go on a date. The one thing they both like is Laurel and Hardy films, and so they go to a Laurel and Hardy film festival at a local theater. This is the result:

You can go here to see all the strips:

http://comics.com/luann/2011-02-04/
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

No one gets beat up around here. I like the strip and am glad you posted it.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The Music Box will be on tomorrow morning (February 7th) at 11:29 am ET.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Glad you caught it. I thought I would send you a reminder but don't need to now.
Chris

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think I got a copy of that one from you? I am going to record it anyway, just in case. I am getting so confused as to what I have since the Hal Roach festival. It never hurts to have an xtra. :D