John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: John Ford

Post by MissGoddess »

tinker wrote:
Its a deal, the end is in sight of this accursed doctorate for me.
congratulations with that. you've worked long and hard!
I think we have a them, finding Ford in Ford
perfect! instead of letting critics, "experts" or anyone else, let the films purely interpret the artist.
Hawaii wasn't that one of Ford's hangouts?
Yes. He was a wise man. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
tinker

Post by tinker »

perfect! instead of letting critics, "experts" or anyone else, let the films purely interpret the artist.
I am excited already at the thought of writing. Let me know when you are ready

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#FF0000]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:i definitely believe directors---the real creators, not just the jobbers---put themselves in their films. I believe everything you want to know about Ford the man is in his films. People have been very quick to make the connections between Hitch and his films or even Howard Hawks, but it's rather amusing how few do so with Ford and his works.
Uh-oh. :shock: You may not believe me but I'm really telling the truth. I was just working on a collage comparing John Ford and Alfred Htichcock. I don't recall what I just saw that made me connect these two directors. :idea: I had some images set in place before I even came across your and Tinker's posts. And now I read this and am horrified about "WHAT WAS I EVEN THINKING??!!!!" ( :o ) Ford aficionados will call the Movie Cops on me for daring to be so typical and predictable. ACK!! I'm going to still work to complete it, and maybe hide it under my mattress. I'm a novie of one...and a groupie of the other. ( Ohhh! It was watching "Lifeboat" last Saturday night. ) But I beg you...I implore you...if you come across my simplistic collage...and you might...be kind. :oops:
When I get settled in Hawaii, maybe we'll tinker with that book idea. :)
Lets have a drink before you leave the East Coast.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

tinker wrote:
I am excited already at the thought of writing. Let me know when you are ready

dee
certainly will. :D
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:
[u][color=#FF0000]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:i definitely believe directors---the real creators, not just the jobbers---put themselves in their films. I believe everything you want to know about Ford the man is in his films. People have been very quick to make the connections between Hitch and his films or even Howard Hawks, but it's rather amusing how few do so with Ford and his works.
Uh-oh. :shock: You may not believe me but I'm really telling the truth. I was just working on a collage comparing John Ford and Alfred Htichcock. I don't recall what I just saw that made me connect these two directors. :idea: I had some images set in place before I even came across your and Tinker's posts. And now I read this and am horrified about "WHAT WAS I EVEN THINKING??!!!!" ( :o ) Ford aficionados will call the Movie Cops on me for daring to be so typical and predictable. ACK!! I'm going to still work to complete it, and maybe hide it under my mattress. I'm a novie of one...and a groupie of the other. ( Ohhh! It was watching "Lifeboat" last Saturday night. ) But I beg you...I implore you...if you come across my simplistic collage...and you might...be kind. :oops:
OH MY GOODNESS YOU MUST, MUST MUST SHARE IT!!!
I have always had fun in my imagination comparing them because, primarily, they worked with some of the same actors and particularly, their vastly different depiction of actresses they cast in their movies. We don't know Ford's opinion on many directors, but Hitch has been quoted complimenting Ford, if in typically reserved words, ha. They were two of the greatest, so it's fun to find the similarities and opposites.
When I get settled in Hawaii, maybe we'll tinker with that book idea. :)
Lets have a drink before you leave the East Coast.[/quote]

YES, I want to so much!!!! I'll PM you.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

DIRECTORS UNDER THE MINK

Heavens to Murgatroid...I’m no scholar. No aficionado. I have a passing knowledge of one...and am a groupie of the other. John Ford and Alfred Hitchcock are two of the most famous directors in the history of movies. ( Psst! I CONFESS: The reason I even put Ford’s name first is to curry favor from his fans so they won’t roast me on the luau pit. Besides, I’m in his thread. ) Two young men from different backgrounds, countries, telling stories through images and whose work span the decades.

Perhaps this is a Rorschach test. Perhaps it’ll spur more learned posters to contribute their thoughts to the similarities of these two men. I know I know...I haven’t even scratched the surface.

A DIRECTOR BY ANY OTHER NAME

Fans in both camps have affectionate nick names for these two directors.

ICONIC MOMENTS

I was struck by these moments in both directors’ films for a variety of reasons.

I like the similarity of the doorway shots of Wayne and Stewart. Are both men at the end of their rope here? One doesn’t seem to be able to get through the door to join The Family. The other has lost the dream...the illusion. “North by Northwest” here just represents the Impossible. They are hanging by a thread. And Hitch pushes that envelope by having Martin Landau step on Cary Grant’s hand. The tension is impossible. It’s nothing similar to Roddy McDowall here, but I just love the shot. This little boy is becoming a man waay before his time...seeing things a boy should not see. One grows up too quick, fast and in a hurry in Wales. Roddy and James Stewart share the utter stunning loss that leaves them motionless. Frozen in time; not seeing. Am I reaching? Am I stretching. I dunno. You tell me.

THE LAWS OF ATTRACTION

Sometimes we fight attraction; sometimes we give in to it.

I finally saw “The Quiet Man” at the TCMFF this April and was really taken with it. It was love at first sight for them both; but Wayne has to really fight for O’Hara’s love in a way that she would understand and feel it. Oh yes, the kiss in the graveyard when it rains. Yeeeup! I haven’t seen “They Were Expendable” yet, but I want to. How to make love normal, under the conditions of war; in spite of war. Besides, Isn’t the Duke and Donna Reed so cute together. I have a germ of an idea of exploring 'John Wayne In Love' in the movies. He’s adorable and heart-felt. Cary Grant & Grace Kelly. << Sigh! >> Hitchcock’s creme de la creme of gla'mour and l'amour. Fireworks? Hah! What a great metaphor Hitch. “Vertigo” - my favorite as you know. Love built on deception, delusion, illusion, obsession. That doesn’t mean it’s not love, does it? Perhaps it’s the love that burns the hottest. Hey, I’m just asking questions.

AMERICA, THE BEAUTIFUL

Instantly recognizable, right?

I think both Hitchcock and Ford took two American landscapes and turned them into their own personal avatars. I need to see both up close and personal. You can't think of one without the other. They've made them their own. I mean, who does that?

RESCUE ME...or LOVE, PAIN & THE WHOLE DAMNED THING

C’mon. You know you breathed a sigh of relief when both Wayne and Grant take these ladies into their arms.

Both men come to terms with the journey they take to rescue someone they really love. They stop fighting themselves and their pre-conceived notions and get to rescuing. Admitted “fat-head” Cary Grant scooping Ingrid Bergman outta that bed is the stuff of dreams, right girls? A den of Nazis, he’s whispering in your ear, he'll protect you. ( Awwwright... awwwright. So you’ll need a stomach pump later, but you’re missing the point...it’s Cary Grant’s coming to rescue you. ) John Wayne as Ethan. Hell bent on destruction until Debbie’s in his arms. All his hate is released. After all, she IS Family.

STATE OF MIND

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

But a great set-piece is a wonderful metaphor to use. Each director expresses our hero’s state of mind in a different way. That crazy staircase that is James Stewart’s source of guilt and triumph. He’s cured of vertigo though he loses his girl. ( The operation’s a success but... ) “...Liberty Valance.” You all know the movie better’n than me. I just know seeing Wayne go loco with pain over not having Vera Miles broke me down. The MacGuffins of both movies hide the lovesick pain in plain sight.

TEACHERS’ PET

Andy Hardy never had such a man-to-man talk.

Collaboration at its best. I think Wayne and Grant might be Ford and Hitchcock’s favorite leading men. What director wouldn’t want to live vicariously through the suaveness and virility of each man. Big, strong, handsome men of action ( when Grant needed to be. ) Alter egos of each director.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you for this, T.

I'm just trying to reel in my jaw that's dragging on the floor. That is so beautifully laid out...a perfect "menu" if you will to prompt what I hope will be some interesting discussion.

And I'd like to brazenly ask the author's permission to post this either on my site's news blog or its FB page???

As I said before, I love finding the links, however tenuous, between these two favorites. I think I'll compile a list because they covered a lot of common ground, more than you'd think.

I especially love the director/actor (artist and muse, creator and alter-ego) comparisons of Ford/Wayne and Hitch/Grant. More later, I promise!

-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

My mind is reeling that you'd consider re-printing my post. That's a resounding "YES!!!"

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yay! I did post it at my blog: http://news.directedbyjohnford.com/2014 ... -ford.html and FB page. Thank you, T!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! LOOK what I missed here! Some great great conversation.... from Tinker to Goddess to Maven. A triple play for sure! :D

I have to read over the illuminating comments again just to wrap my head around it all! Thanks guys for giving me so much to think about.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Jackie I hope you'll join the conversation if you're up for it. I have a running list of constant comparisons in my head. I don't know how relevant they are but it makes for a fun brain tease.
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thank you again Waikiki G., for posting my comments in your Ford site. ( :oops: ) And even though you're practically outta this burg, ( :( ) I hope you do make a list of the comparisons that's in your head and you fully write about them when you're settled in and have the time.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

OK, you John Ford fans -- The Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens, NYC, is holding "The Essential John Ford" film series July 2-August 3 and I am grinding my teeth that I can't be there. They're showing 20 Ford films and the line-up is spectacular. Here's the link with the list of films and info about days/times/tickets:

http://www.movingimage.us/films/2015/07 ... john-ford/

Also, an article about Ford and the series by Richard Brody in The New Yorker. After reading this, I think someone needs to put Brody and Quentin Tarantino together in the same room for a discussion about Ford. The discussion will be recorded and put online for those of us who cannot attend in person. ;)

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... of-justice
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The Warner Archive Collection has officially announced the forthcoming Blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. No release date yet, but it shouldn't be too far off. Here is the information and the cover art.

WARNER BROS.’ NEW 2016 MASTER - DIRECT FROM ITS WORLD PREMIERE AT THE TCM FILM FESTIVAL
103:00
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
BD 50
Special Features: John Ford Home Movies and Theatrical trailer (1080p)
SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)
A masterpiece of mood and heroics, this second film in director John Ford's renowned cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache and Rio Grande are the others) features one of John Wayne's most moving performances, as a cavalry officer in his final week of service on the frontier. Under makeup aging him some 20 years, he inhabits the role of a wily veteran who knows the sting of war and vows to make his last mission one of peace. The ritual of outpost life, the sweep of battle, the advance of the patrol beneath ominous skies: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, an Academy Award winner for its color cinematography, paints a memorable portrait of the honor, duty and courage in the finest tradition of the cavalry.

GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith