John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: John Ford

Post by MissGoddess »

Here's a quiz if you want to see how well you know your Ford, created by one of the members at TCM's forums.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I hit a button and it knocked me out but it wasn't going near as well as I had hoped. The films I know I know well, otherwise....
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I got a paltry 63 out of a hundred.

It seemed like I could hear characters called by name, and I knew if it was Ward Bond or Harry Carey, Jr. - but which character in which movie? Too many doctors, and too many Pearly's. :D I am most ashamed that I could not get Gil Martin. I knew it, but didn't know it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It's not an easy quiz! He used character names over and over, with slight variations, so that makes it hard. 63 is very good, Wendy!
-- Will Rogers
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

MsG,

Thanks for the link! The thing I learned from it is that I pay way more attention to the majority of male roles in a Ford film than the females (How Green Was My Valley, The Quiet Man and the westerns not withstanding).

That was an eye opener. I need to pay more attention to the women.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Boy, I hear you on that one, Lz! I think I only got 3 of the women and one of those was Mary Stuart, a no brainer. :D
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I'm not even trying that quiz, as I am hopeless with character names (especially secondary characters). I'm sure I'd be on the low low end. :) When it comes to writing up something about a movie, the IMDB is my friend. It supplies the info missing from my brain. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

the problem i have with characters is seeing their last names. like wendy, i tend to "hear" them spoken in my head and it seldom is with both first and last name. i took one with classic actresses and i missed jane wyman as "johnny beinda" because they listed her character's last name! :D
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I took the quiz too ... for a moviegoer that doesn't watch much John Ford's films ... I got a 58 out of 100. I struggled on most questions and got lucky on a couple ... with an Eeny, meeny, miny, moe method of answering them!
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

DVD Beaver's review of the Fort Apache blu-ray has been posted. Nice screencaps! Wish I could do blu-ray screencaps. :(

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_ ... lu-ray.htm
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks! I've been waiting for them to post caps. :)
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If you live in the Kansas City area, the Kansas City Public Library will be presenting a series of screenings of the non-western films of John Ford, beginning March 3. The screenings are 6:30 p.m. Mondays, and 1:30 p.m. Saturdays.

March 3: The Grapes of Wrath (1940: NR) with Henry Fonda in John Steinbeck's Dust Bowl epic.

March 5: Wee Willie Winkie (1937: NR), featuring Shirley Temple as the mascot of British soldiers in colonial India.

March 10: How Green Was My Valley (1941: NR) offers Walter Pidgeon and Maureen O'Hara in a story of Welsh miners.

March 12: Mogambo (1953: NR) delivers a three-way African romance with Clark Gable, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly.

March 17: They Were Expendable (1945: NR) finds PT boat commanders John Wayne and Robert Montgomery battling the Japanese in the Philippines.

March 19: The Wings of Eagles (1957: NR) stars Wayne as Naval aviator Frank "Spig" Wead.

March 24: The Quiet Man (1952: NR) reteams Wayne and O'Hara in a fiery Irish love story.

March 26: Donovan's Reef (1963: NR) finds the island-dwelling Wayne feuding with his drinking buddy Lee Marvin.

March 31: Mister Roberts (1955: NR) offers Fonda reprising his Broadway role as an idealistic Navy officer stuck on a cargo ship.

For more info, visit:
http://www.kclibrary.org/press-release/ ... rary-march
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This should give Kathy something to do. (As if she needed something to do.) It's a pretty good lineup. Not one western in the lot but that's probably the point of it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh I hope she can go to them! it would be great to hear about the movies on the big screen, though I think she's seen all of them before on TV or VHS. Maybe knitty can go as well! :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I was thinking Knitty lives in the vicinity, too, perfect!
-- Will Rogers