John Ford

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
RedRiver

Re: John Ford

Post by RedRiver »

In fact, he took that picture of Donald Meek for your avatar.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RedRiver wrote:In fact, he took that picture of Donald Meek for your avatar.
lol! see what i mean!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

hahahahaha!

Red, the merest mention of Donald Meek from you sets me into fits of giggles.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In Character Actor Heaven, I bet people like Donald, Guy Kibee and Sterling Holloway are laughing right along with us! Not the least bit insulted.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Now you've given me such a wonderful picture in my mind, of all the character actors in their angel wings floating around up there, doing their own particular schtick. Love that image! Thanks Red!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Billy Gilbert, Grady Sutton (my sister's favorite actor), James Gleason, Eugene Pallette. The Second Shift!
tinker

Post by tinker »

I found this in an Australian newspaper where someone is making a thriller film out in the desert. I am not to sure if its an homage or a theft butimitation sure is the sincerest form of flattery.
Today, the sadistic serial killer at the heart of Wolf Creek is preparing to bump off an elderly couple in a derelict farm house about 90 minutes' drive north of Adelaide, although it feels a lot more isolated than that. But first, his director has to frame the mayhem perfectly.

''Let's just open the door again,'' Greg McLean (Director) says from his seat at the far end of the hallway. Suddenly, the place is flooded with harsh light, as a wave of heat from the desert pours in.
Backpackers Rutger and Katarina (Phillipe Klaus and Shannon Ashlyn) stray into dangerous territory.

McLean surveys the scene on his monitor, then glances at the screen of his laptop, on which the final scene of John Ford's legendary 1956 western, The Searchers, is playing. If you are going to quote from a classic, it pays to get it right.

In the set-up of his own shot, McLean is looking to echo the moment in which John Wayne is framed in the doorway of a house into which he is not invited, with the desert at his back and then at his front. He is aiming, he later tells me, for ''a direct inversion of that idea of the lone hero wandering out into the west. This film is a western in lots of ways.''

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/ ... 32nv4.html

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

At least this director knows who to steal from... like Pete Seeger said, "Plagiarism is the root of all culture."

I'd rather younger directors tried to steal from the geniuses of the past, even if they fail, than use those same geniuses to promote their own mediocre work, mistakenly slandering their memory in order to make themselves look good.

Yeah, I said it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

:D
-- Will Rogers
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

The February 28 issue of Entertainment Weekly has an excerpt from Mark Harris' new book, Five Came Back, about the experiences of five famous film directors in WWII and what happened after the war ended. The excerpt is about John Ford at Midway and has one of the most awesome illustrations ever of Ford (artist is Yuko Shimizu) in what looks to be John Wayne mode. ;) I bet Ford would have loved that picture, even if he would just glance at it, mumble and walk away. :)

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

All verklempt...

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Set your DVR for this Sunday Morning special on March 2nd:

http://www.scotteyman.com/2014/02/10/cb ... r-special/

CBS Sunday Morning features Scott for Oscar special

Scott’s in Monument Valley now (yes, in February), as part of a special from CBS Sunday Morning. It’s about that land as the quintessential American film backdrop. Scott’s speaking about John Ford, and John Wayne and the influence of those two matched with the awe-inspiring Utah landscape. It will air March 2 (which is also Scott’s birthday!), as part of the Academy Award specials leading up to the big event that night. Set the DVR!
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you SO much, MissG. I used to watch CBS Sunday Morning every week but have got out of the habit. I would have missed it!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Here it is, the CBS Sunday Morning spotlight on MONUMENT VALLEY that aired March 2nd, including a very brief chat with Scott Eyman:

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I recorded it on Sunday and thought it was pretty good. I liked the information on the guide and that family there interviewed. On the same broadcast they did an interview with Eva Marie Saint. She is such a treat, she is still lovely and spry at 89.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."