Sept. 5, 8:15am EDT - "If You Could Only Cook."
Sept. 5, 9:30am EDT - "Adventure in Manhattan."
Sept. 5, 10:45am EDT - "More Than A Secretary."

And her birthday is not until October.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Is the one "If You Could Only Cook" about a rich man who masquerades as a butler? If so, it is charming and silly, and I'll be recording it.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's close. I have a book that says Jean thinks he is unemployed and offers him a job. Sounds a little "My Man Godfrey-ish."

I haven't seen this one either so it will be on my machine too.
Chris

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

movieman1957 wrote:Some more Arthur films coming up are -

Sept. 5, 8:15am EDT - "If You Could Only Cook."
Sept. 5, 9:30am EDT - "Adventure in Manhattan."
Sept. 5, 10:45am EDT - "More Than A Secretary."

And her birthday is not until October.
Oh good. I'll have to set the DVR. I haven't seen any of those! I wish they would show Easy Money. I have a so-so DVD copy of it, but I'd like to see it as TCM presents it, maybe with RO comments befre and after.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

And movieman--
Thanks for the referral. I'm not a huge Keaton fan--I've only seen The General. I'll have to look for the other one.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
knitwit45

Re: jean arthur - any other fans?

Post by knitwit45 »

I wanted to bump this thread up, I just watched, for the very first time, Only Angels Have Wings
I know, I'm usually late to the party, but wow. what a movie. I've never really watched Richard Barthelmess before, read lots of reviews and discussions, but not seen his work. Everyone was so good in this. Allynn Joslyn without sarcasm, a heartbreakingly young Noah Beery Jr, Thomas Mitchell without alcohol, Sig Ruman as a good guy, Jean Arthur without nervous twitches, John Carroll without 'attitude' and Cary Grant with it. Don't misunderstand, I really like Jean Arthur, but sometimes her mannerisms get to me. She and Rita Hayworth really had their work cut out for them, holding their own very well against all that Machismo.
Wouldn't you have loved to be an observer on THAT set?? Me too.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Me too. I'm a Jean Arthur fan ... :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

knitwit45 wrote:I wanted to bump this thread up, I just watched, for the very first time, Only Angels Have Wings
I know, I'm usually late to the party, but wow. what a movie. I've never really watched Richard Barthelmess before, read lots of reviews and discussions, but not seen his work. Everyone was so good in this. Allynn Joslyn without sarcasm, a heartbreakingly young Noah Beery Jr, Thomas Mitchell without alcohol, Sig Ruman as a good guy, Jean Arthur without nervous twitches, John Carroll without 'attitude' and Cary Grant with it. Don't misunderstand, I really like Jean Arthur, but sometimes her mannerisms get to me. She and Rita Hayworth really had their work cut out for them, holding their own very well against all that Machismo.
Wouldn't you have loved to be an observer on THAT set?? Me too.
I love Only Angels Have Wings, in this film I think Jean is marvellous, she has all the obvious reactions when the flyer dies and the men are so touching. It's one of my favorite Cary Grant movies, instead of playing his screwball self, he's a real macho man, I like it when cary is allowed to play macho, those roles usually went to Gable or Tracy. Richard Barthelmess is really good, it made me seek out some of his earlier work which is always worth seeing.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Gary J.

Post by Gary J. »

It's a terrific Howard Hawks film - part of a run of exceptional movies he made starting with BRINGING UP BABY up through RED RIVER.
He and Grant made a great creative team.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

History Is Made At Night has been lovingly covered by Fernando in a Charles Boyer thread but I watch it for Jean. I agree with most of what he says, particularly that Jean is lovely. This 1936-1939 time frame she was especially so.

She and Boyer are wonderful together. They really seem to enjoy each other's company on a real level which makes their scenes together plenty of fun and heartfelt.

Colin Clive is Jean's husband so consumed by jealousy that his fear of Jean's loving another man only comes to fruition after he plots against her. Clive is properly slimy and takes being jealous to a level that takes a little believing that Jean's character could love him. It's hard to imagine that he hasn't always been this way no matter how successful he is in business.

It is fine throughout but the ending of the picture is a little hard to swallow. Even at that though the ending is well done. It walks the line of tragedy and some fun quite well.

Nice to see it is popular here.
Chris

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for bringing it up again Chris. I'll make a point of revisiting it ASAP. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I agree with you Chris. :)
Fossy

Post by Fossy »

I am a big fan of Jean Arthur. I have 27 of her films. My comments on the movie It Happened At Night (1937) , and the comments of others may be found in the Drama section, Sat Jun 01 2013.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks for pointing it out. I did a search but couldn't quite find it so I came here. I don't like spreading stuff all over the board. Now we have comments in three places. It should be easy to find.

Apparently, it is well liked by the group.
Chris

rerun

Post by rerun »

Oh my I feel flattered. I cannot remember how many people said I sounded just like Jean Arthur in the many years I worked in films. I too was a fan of hers.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]