*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Post by klondike »

Imagine my distress, comin' in all hail & snowy from a ha' dozen pints down the pub, and then happily perusing these great candids from our hard-working Mr. Mongo, while still proudly in my kilt, only to spy that smarmy li'l weasel Adolphe Menjou wearing one!!!
Then, I recalled that this was the same spaleen who so delighted in being the Crown Prince of Rat Finks for the HUAC.
Clearly, an individual who honed his nibs towards goals of betrayal!
My sympathies to the Clan whose tartan he molested! :evil:
(Impossible to say from b&w, but I swear it almost looks like Buchanan!)

P.S. Lon McAllister's "pal" is almost certainly a brindle Great Dane.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

Marco, Larry Park's association with the Group Theatre in New York led to a chance introduction to musical actress Betty Garrett and the couple married in 1944. The marriage lasted until his death of a heart attack in 1975.

Klondike, glad to hear that you had a good time at the pub.
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:Marco, Larry Park's association with the Group Theatre in New York led to a chance introduction to musical actress Betty Garrett and the couple married in 1944. The marriage lasted until his death of a heart attack in 1975.
Thanks! I know she went on to do television in the 1970's. What did Larry Parks do after the blacklist?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

There is a photo listed as Gary Cooper taking a break while he's wearing a French Legionnaire's uniform. Are you sure that's Gary? It looks more like the English fellow who always played the guy that lost the girl to Gary, Clark, Cary, etc., but I can't think of his name at this minute.

Anyone else notice that it really doesn't look like Gary?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marco, Larry Parks managed to continue his career in years to come - both here and abroad, on stage and in nightclubs - alongside steadfast wife Betty Garrett. His film career, however, literally came to a standstill and would never be the same again.

Anne, that image of Gary Cooper is from his film "The Lives of a Bengal Lancer". I though it was Rock Hudson at first.

Comic Patsy Kelly & Doris Day on set of "Please Don't Eat the Daisies"

Yvette Mimieux, Glenn Ford, Connie Stevens, coming or going?

Helen Hayes & Joan Crawford greet guests (looks like a wake)

Bette Davis out with her first husband Harmon 'Ham' Nelson

Dear character actress Margaret Hamilton

Stella Stevens flower girl

Actor/model George O'Brien, this time as an archer

Mamie Van Doren coming apart

No, it's not Tony Curtis. It's a smug William Haines

Tough guy actor Lawrence Tierney enjoying his vices

Tragic actor William Eythe (died in 1957 at age 38)

Gary Cooper shows Frank Sinatra just how it's done

Bruce Cabot of "King Kong" visits a fortune teller

Ginger Rogers (right) with her movie stand-in Dorothy Pantor

Lovely 20yr old Mary Astor as Adriana in "Don Juan" (1926)

Outstanding character actor Alan Hale (in over 200 films)

Sweet young girl Billie Burke (aka Glinda the good witch)

Hedy Lamarr (right) with her movie stand-in Sylvia Lamarr (no relation)

Priscilla Lane booting Cary Grant in publicity still from "Arsenic and Old Lace"

Gary Cooper with the bottom half of Ann Sheridan in "Good Sam"

Daddy Glenn Ford, Mommy Eleanor Powell with son Pete

Lewis Stone & Jean Harlow anticipating the next scene at MGM

Roberto Rossellini directs Ingrid Bergman in "Stromboli"

Hard-boiled underrated actor Paul Kelly (1899 - 1956)

ImageImage
Deadly triangle: Paul Kelly, actress Dorothy Mackaye,
song & dance man Ray Raymond. In 1927, Kelly had a torrid
love affair with Mrs Raymond (Mackaye) which eventually
resulted in a brutal fist fight between Kelly and abusive
alcoholic Ray Raymond causing his death.

ImageImage
Kelly served 2 years for manslaughter
while Mackaye served 1 year.
They married in 1931 and had 2 children.
Mackaye died in auto accident in 1940,
which devastated Kelly. He died in 1956 at age 57.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Moira, thanks for posting the link to Ms. Fontaine's interview. It's simply priceless. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for the new thread Vecchiolarry, it's very illuminating and saddening that they should continue a feud over so many years.

Thanks about the info about Errol too. No surprises that they would find him unreliable. Fernando lent me a documentary about Errol and his daughter Dierdre was on that, I could see the resemblance to her famous father.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

YOWZA! A dapper & restrained Alan Hale?! Truly, wonders never cease in Tinseltown!!
As for Miss Mamie . . 'zooks, imagine the classically trained thespian from a film of such grandeur & erudition as That Girl from Boston suffering so shocking a wardrobe malfuction . . well, methinks they didst not dub her the sweater-&-a-half gal for nothing . . . and she did usher in the Open van Doren policy, you know!
And Lew's leg-hugger . . . hmmm, I would guess either a young, female Saluki, or a fine-boned example of a Shiloh-strain German Shepherd . . (I know, Ma, I know, that really is Lew Ayres! :roll: )
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, your description of sex kitten Mamie Van Doren is a hoot.
Alan Hale has always been one of my favorite character actors. He and Errol Flynn had a ball on the sets, always cutting up.

Director Michael Curtiz with Rosemary Lane, Fay Bainter, Gale Page & Priscilla Lane

James Cagney putting up his dukes for "Blood on the Sun"

Marlon Brando during a hearty laugh in 1959

Walter Brennan & Hoagy Carmichael at the piano on the set

Basil Rathbone (right) with wife Ouida and his son Rodion from 1st marriage

Beautiful Joan Fontaine in a color shot from the B & W "Rebecca"

Actor Ben Cooper of "The Rose Tattoo" and his wife Pamela of 48 years

Lovely Lizabeth Scott in a studio shot
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:Klondike, your description of sex kitten Mamie Van Doren is a hoot.
Alan Hale has always been one of my favorite character actors. He and Errol Flynn had a ball on the sets, always cutting up.
Know what you mean, Joe; sometimes, Alan's bear-like buffoonery was the only element that "kicked-up" a so-so flick . . just thinking about his antics in otherwise "straight" flicks like Man Power, Captain of the Clouds & They Drive By Night still crack me up!
BTW, Ms. MacKay's canine crony is a West Highland Terrier . . . always white, and always very spirited!

P.S: Thanks for the candid with Brennan & Carmichael from TH&HN; this was a movie that had to "grow" on me . . but in the past decade, every time I see it, I like it even more . . especially for all those priceless little touches!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Joe! Great photos as usual. The one of Brando makes him seem human, instead of just ol' Marble mouth (per MrsL) :lol: :lol:

Does anyone here (YOOHOO, LARRY!!!) know anything about Rodion Rathbone, Basil's son? He looks to be a handsome young man, what was his story???

Larry may still be on the floor laughing, over that last picture of John Payne**......we'll wait........:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

**(posted on Larry's thread of "Olivia & Joan"
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Nancy,

Although I knew Ouida Rathbone fairly well, I never met Basil or his son, Rodion.
Both Basil and Ouida had been married before; I don't know Basil's first wife's name but she was the mother of Rodion, not Ouida, who was once married to director, George Fitzmaurice.
Ouida and Basil adopted a girl named Cynthia, who was nothing but trouble and died around age 30 of cirrhosis of the liver.

I'm not sure of this but:
Rodion acted in about 5 movies in the late 30's and I think one of them was "The Tower of London" with Daddy. It's been years since I've seen this movie, so I can't tell you what he played.
He did marry and have children and I heard he died about 10 years ago.

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hey knitwit:

Brando's human enough, it's just that he looked like such a sleaseball with his greasy hair and five o'clock shaddow, plus you couldn't understand a word he said because of his mumbling like he had ad mouth full of marbles.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

According to IMDb, Rodion Rathbone acted under the name, John Rodion, and appeared in two movies - The Dawn Patrol (1938) as Lieutenant Russell and The Tower of London (1939) as Lord Devere.

It doesn't list his mother's name, but lists him as Basil Rathbone's only natural child. IMDb names Rathbone's first wife as Marion Foreman.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Thanks Charlie,

Wow, I'm happy to learn that I am not losing my marbles.... I thought but wasn't really sure about "The Tower of London" film. I'm sure I'd heard that before but it's nice to know my sive between my ears is still holding something besides moths!!!

Larry