*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm getting an education, Joe you're terrific with this thread, not just pictures, we are spoiled, thank you so much.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

WG, no doubt that Punsly was the smart Dead End Kid, while Gabe Dell was next in line.
Other than Leo Gorcey, Billy Halop was my favorite.

Thank you, Allison.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Anna Magnani presents today's birthday boy Yul Brynner his Oscar for "The King and I"
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Certainly when you look at the off-screen lives of the Dead End Kids, Bernard comes across as the most . . . balanced. Followed, yes, by Dell and maybe Huntz Hall. Sadly, Jordan. Halop and Gorcey did not fare as well. Still, I always get a kick out of seeing Billy Halop as Munson the cabdriver on reruns of "All in the Family".
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Heads Up, Errol! These Friar's Club Temptresses are Actually Bob Mitchum and Burt Lancaster in Femme Disguise.
Joseph Goodheart
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I think this photo is a total hoot, and I've never seen it. I've been looking at it and looking at it, and at first I think Burt is better looking, and then I think Robert is the prettier "girl," and I just keep going back and forth. Ok. Bob's the cutest...No, it's Burt. Ok. It's Bob....I just can't decide!

And that hysterical look of shock and/or fear on Errol Flynn's face makes it even more fun. And it looks like they are wearing identical outifts, hats, parasols and bags...

Joe, it is cracking me up! I adore this photo! One of your best/funniest/most unusual. :lol:

Thank you. I needed it!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Christy, it makes me happy that you enjoyed the image of the 3 stars so much. I assure you that it was my pleasure to share it.
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I think I'm gradually getting to know the true identities of the people on this Board. Mongo, am I correct in assuming your real name is Joe? If so, may I address you this way? And Sue Sue: Christy? I fell like I've cracked the case, a la Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe or Frank Columbo.

Wow, that photo is . . . different. First we're talking about George Raft as Little Lord Fauntelroy, now we've got tough guys Lancaster and Mitchum in drag. Too bad we couldn't have thrown Koik into the mix.

And, yes, the expression on Errol's face is priceless. I wonder, though, if I didn't know who the two were if I could have guessed Burt and Bob. Burt's grin might have given him away.

Again, don't know where you get these amazing photos . . . Joe???
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
BEAH RICHARDS (1929 - 2000)
A prolific actress, poet and playwright, her first authored play was "All's Well that Ends" that delved into the issues of racial segregation. Always ahead of her time, she defined herself as "Black" when the term "Negro" was the preferred ethnic/racial label of Black Americans. Richards would bring her salutary satisfaction with being "Black" and her immense acting talents to the role of the peacemaking mother in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), a role for which she was nominated for an Oscar. Additionally, she appeared in "Purlie Victorious" by Ossie Davis and "The Little Foxes" by Lillian Hellman.
quote: There are a lot of movies out there that I would hate to be paid to do, some real demeaning, real woman-denigrating stuff. It is up to women to change their roles. They are going to have to write the stuff and do it. And they will.

KEITH ANDES (1920 - 2005)
1950s and 60s second lead actor Keith Andes fits into the strappingly handsome and virile mold that encompassed the likes of George Nader, Guy Madison, and Jeffrey Hunter. Although he may not be as well remembered as the aforementioned, he managed to maintain a reliable career on radio (from age 12), stage, TV and films for over three decades.His enviable physique and photogenic good looks made the blond looker an obvious choice to continue in both rugged adventures and beefcake drama but his output was fairly minimal. In Clash by Night (1952), one of his best roles, he dallied hot and heavy with a young Marilyn Monroe and, in Blackbeard, the Pirate (1952), he demonstrated some expert swashbuckling skills.
Slowing down by the 1970s, he appeared very infrequently on camera while finding occasional voiceover work. Sadly, his final years were marred by extreme ill health, including bladder cancer, and he committed suicide in his Santa Clarita, California home at age 85.

VERA RALSTON (1919 - 2003)
After achieving modest fame as an ice skater in her native Czechoslovakia, Vera Hruba was brought to America by Republic Pictures head Herbert J. Yates, who hoped to turn her into the next Sonja Henie.
Most of her films lost money, because audiences just never took to her (John Wayne, after having made a few films with her, refused to make any more as he believed that being identified as appearing in any more of her flops would damage his career). She and Yates were married in 1952. Significantly, she "retired" from the screen in 1958, the year Yates was deposed as head of the studio--mainly because of his insistence in starring her in expensive films even though they invariably lost money but also because of his refusal to sell Republic's films for TV broadcasting. Yates and Ralston remained married until Yates' death in 1966, at which point Ralston inherited half of his $10-million estate.

MILTON BERLE (1908 - 2002)
Milton was educated at New York Professional Children's School, and began performing at age 5. His first stage appearance was in "Florodora"in Atlantic City. He appeared at the Palace Theatre in New York in 1931, then in night clubs and theatres. He appeared in the Broadway musicals "Saluta", "See My Lawyer", and "Ziegfeld Follies of 1943". His television debut was on experimental scanning-wheel television in Chicago in 1929. By 1934 he was on radio.
He peaked with his film career near the end of the 1940s with "Always Leave Them Laughing" with Virginia Mayo and Ruth Roman shown on TCM.
He then found his success in television becoming a big star known as Uncle Miltie. The varity show ran for years and he was crowned Mr. Television.
Berle was famed in Hollywood for the alleged size of an "unmentionable" portion of his anatomy. An often recounted (and possibly apocryphal) story was that when he was once challenged to a "face-off" with another man to prove who had the larger one, a friend said, "We're in a hurry, Milton, just take out enough to win.".
Was diagnosed with a slow-growing cancerous tumor in his colon. Doctors said he did not need surgery and the cancer would take 10 to 12 years to affect him. This turned out to be incorrect, as Berle died less than a year later. He was 93.

JEAN HERSHOLT (1886 - 1956)
If ever there was a Great Dane in Hollywood it was Jean Hersholt - and one of its great hearts as well.
Hersholt was a tried veteran of 75 films. His first all mono sound film was The Climax (1930) and despite a Germanic accent, he had a pleasant, mellow voice and a camera friendly presence that ensured him continued success. The variety ran the gamut from a sturdy supporting part in Grand Hotel (1932), to supporting Boris Karloff and a pretty hot Myrna Loy in The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932), Emma supporting Marie Dressler, and doing the same in Dinner at Eight (1933). Busy with nine movies in 1930, he also moved into people's living rooms on radio as well during that year. And he is perhaps best remembered as the embittered but deeply caring grandfather of Shirley Temple in the beloved Heidi (1937).
In 1939 Hersholt helped to form the Motion Picture Relief Fund. This helped to support industry employees with medical care when they were down on their luck and was used to create the Motion Picture Country Home and Hospital in Woodland Hills, CA. This led to the creation in 1956 of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian an honorary Academy Award given to an "individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry.". What a guy!
Last edited by mongoII on July 12th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That picture is hilarious, I'd have got Robert Mitchum but I'm not sure about Burt Lancaster. I bet Errol's thinking, I've seen plenty of women's chests in my time but never one as hairy as this one on my right.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Joe, darn it, you did it again. Had no idea that Keith Andes (who I discovered in "Back From Eternity") had committed suicide. Now that's a shocker. Interestingly, last night I spent the evening with a buddy who has survived both a major heart attack and colon cancer. His prognosis was not good on the latter and he admitted to me that he had considered doing himself in before suffering the big toll. But at age 70 he's now hail and healthy and could even indulge in a couple of beers with me.

BTW: Jean Hersholt was Leslie Nielsen's uncle.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks, WG. You certainly can call me Joe...and what can I call you other then WG?
I'm glad to hear the good new about your buddy. It's nice to hear when someone makes it.
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Joe -- Please call me Stone. To quote Captain Queeg: "I kid you not". My legally-changed professional name culled from my long ago years as a semi-pro welterweight. Decided to adopt it permanently for my writing.

Yeah, my friend counts himself as indeed lucky. Unfortunately, while he no longer smokes, his wife puffs away on tar bars incessantly, which cannot be good for Don, inhaling his wife's second-hand smoke. Last night sitting out with them on their patio she went into a hacking fit that I was sure was going to finish her. Then, once it subsided, she calmly lit up another cigarette.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

You go, Stone. Only other Stones I heard of was Phillips and Burke. I kid you not (Capt. Queeg?)
Always thought it was Jack Paar who said that.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Vincente Minnelli and Judy Garland play with daughter Liza at her miniature house
Joseph Goodheart