*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Post by klondike »

Birdy wrote: . . . need more gravel, about $200...need to spray; japanese beetles be here soon...

We live on a questionably historical site - the sign says Lincoln "may" have stopped here.
Well, I know that my house's builder/first owner (then in his seventies) hosted President Theodore Roosevelt overnight here, during his 1904 whistle-stop campaign . . nonetheless, if I don't get a couple truckloads of nutstone gravel dumped in my backyard this coming spring, I'll need a come-along winch to get my 4x4 pickup back up onto the driveway next winter! :?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Everyone,

The picture of E.G. Robinson and wife and Basil Rathbone at a costume party:-
This was probably one of Ouida Bergere's parties. She was married to Basil Rathbone and was famous for her "theme parties"...

Martha Raye and the Gabors:-
I'll bet that was taken in 1954 in Las Vegas as Martha played the Tropicana then and the Gabors had an act at the Desert Inn. I've seen both shows.

Larry
Vecchiolarry

Incorrect Information???

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I double posted here because after posting once, it told me "No topic was posted here".. And so, I posted again and ended up with a double one.

What gives???
Does it post or not? And, if so, why does it tell you you didn't?

Larry
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Larry, there's a glitch in the software. More and more threads are being affected by it. when you see "no posts exist for this topic", hit your back arrow, and then click on the next-to-last page instead of the last page. it is a royal pain in the rump, but I think Jon is trying to fix it. Ah, the age of technology. As the saying goes, "To err is human. To really screw up, it takes a computer!"

Nancy

and when are you going to start another Remembering Hollywood thread? Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!
:lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Larry:

This happened as a result of JohnM deleting his posts. It removed the posts but it didn't remove the pages once they were set. It will eventually catch up with itself.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, you were fortunate to see both shows in Vegas with Martha Raye and the Gabor sisters. It must have been a hoot.

Child star Jackie Cooper unhappily surrounded by his entourage.

Youngster Julie Andrews on BBC with a pal.

Jean Simmons & Tommy Rettig on the set of "The Egyptian".

Joanne Dru between Tony Curtis & Lyle Bettger during filming of "Forbidden".

Bette Davis chatting with her sister Barbara aka Bobby.

Another shot of Bela Lugosi in his den wearing those unique shoes.

Hollywood defense attorney Jerry Geisler (left) representing Errol Flynn on statutory rape charge in 1943.

Ingrid Bergman and lover Roberto Rossellini leaving Stromboli to begin divorce proceedings against her husband in 1950.

Hot mama Mae West in court on obscenity charges resulting from her play "Sex".

Beautiful Frances Dee in a fish pond in 1932.

Joan Crawford descending a stairway with 5th husband Alfred Steele.

The elegant Margaret Dumont who was the brunt of the zany Marx Bros.

John Wayne dancing with none other than Louise Brooks.

Peter Lawford, Sammy Davis Jr. & Jerry Lewis congregate.

Actress June Havoc (sister of Gypsy Rose Lee) in stitches.

The scary Ernest Thesiger as Dr. Pretorius on the set of "Bride of Frankenstein" and director James Whale.

Lon Chaney in an excised scene from "West of Zanzibar" (1928). The chicken outfit would later be used by director Tod Browning in "Freaks" (1931).

Lionel Atwill with director Michael Curtiz on the set of "Mystery of the Wax Museum".

A deleted scene of Bette Davis' transformation in "Now Voyager" with Ilka Chase (center).

Ginger Rogers & Fred Astaire with ace song writer Irving Berlin.

Screen idol Tyrone Power enjoying time with his pets.

Richard Burton having difficulty while Elizabeth Taylor doesn't share her umbrella.

Betty Hutton, Charlton Heston & Cornel Wilde with FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover on the set of "The Greatest Show on Earth".

Lauren Bacall gets the Jimmy Durante nose smooch while Bogart appears amused.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

The Joan Crawford/Al Steele staircase was in their New York apartment.
I remember them taking a TV audience on a tour of it around early 1957 after it was completed and that picture is from the TV coverage.
It was decorated by William Haines and featured all white carpets. Apparently, when you visited you had to remove your shoes and Joanie provided slippers for you.
The chairs in the background are typical Haines furniture. Modern....

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

John Wayne dancing with none other than Louise Brooks.
This photo was taken around the time of the production of Louise Brooks' last film as an actress, the low budget two week quickie, Overland Stage Raiders (1938). Discouraged and disgusted to find herself needing the 300 bucks she was paid for appearing in an unreal Western, in her memoir, Lulu in Hollywood, Brooks nevertheless commented that in her first meeting with John Wayne, "Looking up at him", [she thought] "...this is no actor, but the hero of all mythology, miraculously brought to life." She later commented that Henry James had it about right, and that the shy, yet friendly and professionally unpretentious young actor was the greatest of all works of art, "a purely beautiful being." I think that her feeling shines through in that photo, don't you?

Btw, the film, Overland Stage Raiders is a pretty dismal entry in "The Three Mesquiteers" Western series, and none of Brooks' legendary presence and beauty is apparent there.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

You continue to amaze us with great pictures Joe. The shot featuring Lon Chaney is fantastic. I must see "West of Zanzibar" soon. It's a pity this scene was deleted. I did not know about this film's "connection" with "Freaks" through the hen outfit.

BTW, If I may say so, the lady who appears with Bette Davis in the photo looks a lot like Kay Francis.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Bette Davis's sister looks beautiful.

Is Errol Flynn the handsomest man that ever lived or was the John Wayne. It's difficult to chose from these pictures.

Wonderful pictures, thanks once again for sharing :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, thanks for the info regarding Joan Crawford and her husband Alfred Steele. The program was most likely "Person to Person".
I received a few letters from Crawford when she lived at that apartment in New York (which I still have...on blue writing paper).

Moira, it is indeed a shame about the downfall of Louise Brooks. She certainly was a beauty.

Fernando, glad to hear that you continue to enjoy the images. I'm sure Bette Davis' sister would be pleased to resemble Kay Francis.
After further research I found out that "West of Zanzibar" was made in 1928 and directed by Tod Browning who also directed "Freaks".
A chicken? a hen? Chaney was supposed to be a "human duck". Go figure.

CCfan, thanks for your support. It's nice to know that many of the stars are beautiful in your eyes.
By the way, Bette Davis' sister Barbara suffered from mental problems.

Ginger Rogers and Susan Hayward chatting at an awards show

Grand character actor Steve Brodie seated with a lady friend.

Farley Granger and Shelley Winters on a "date"

Jeanne Crain and lifetime husband (56 years) Paul Brinkman enjoying time at home.

Film crew on the massive set of the one and only "King Kong" (1933).

Pre-code movie star Ann Dvorak sporting a king size pimp stick.

Silent film actress Natacha Rambova with her
husband Rudolph Valentino.

Silent film star Theda Bara aka The Vamp and one of her victims.

A prim and proper Gladys Cooper with her pet.

Screenwriters Ruth Gordon & Garson Kanin with Ronald Colman on the set of "A Double Life."

Superior English gents Ralph Richardson, Laurence Olivier & Alec Guinness.

Lovely Alexis Smith serving up some cheesecake.

Norma Jean, just a freshed face kid.

A hoot and a holler for dynamic Joan Blondell.

Now and then: Actor Rod Taylor.

Now and then: Actress Jane Russell.

Now and then: Actor Peter O'Toole.

Donna Reed congratulating Edmond O'Brien on his Oscar win in 1955.

Marlene Dietrich with author Ernest Hemingway...and his book.

Judy Garland getting some nourishment during a hair treatment.

Ava Gardner & Robert Taylor take a coffee break on the set of "Knights of the Round Table".

Durable actress Virginia Grey with host Hayden Roarke at a charity event in 1982.

Actor Richard Arlen ("Wings") with his first wife Jobyna Ralston in 1927.

Dorothy Lamour joins Don Ameche at a nightclub in the 1930s.

Director Ida Lupino with Rosalind Russell on the set of "The Trouble with Angels".

Clark Gable and 4th wife Sylvia Ashley fishing on location in connection with "Across the Wide Missouri."
charliechaplinfan

That picture doesn't look at all like any of the other pictures I've seen of Natacha. She has long and perfectly maintained tresses in the others. Nice to see a more informal picture of her. They look like a happy couple.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Marta

Post by Marta »

charliechaplinfan wrote:That picture doesn't look at all like any of the other pictures I've seen of Natacha. She has long and perfectly maintained tresses in the others. Nice to see a more informal picture of her. They look like a happy couple.

That actually isn't Natacha in the photo. It's Pola Negri. I'd know that face from anywhere. Those two women have very distinct faces and features.
charliechaplinfan

Perhaps Vechiolarry can confirm, I agree it looks more like Pola in the face to me but the lady looks a tad frumpy for Pola.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

You are correct.
That is not Natasha Rambova and it is not Pola Negri; it is Frances Marion, a scriptwriter, who wrote for Valentino and was requitedly in love with him. She was middle-aged then and the photo shows her as past her prime...
Neither Natasha nor Pola ever looked than chunky or frumpy!!!
That picture is mislabelled; Classicstardust.com is notorious for getting people mixed up. They have photos called Hedy Lamarr, which are Joan Bennett and also Ann Miller labelled Maureen O'Sullivan.

Larry