*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:
Frankenstein monster Boris Karloff and his love for dogs
I am reasonably positive that the dog on the right is a Bedlington Terrier (cherished among fanciers as having "the heart of a lion, the face of a lamb"); I'm not entirely sure about the pup on the left, except that it's almost certainly a first-season weanling of a mid-size terrier breed, most likely a Lakeland, or perhaps an Irish.
mongoII wrote:
Newlyweds Ava Gardner & Mickey Rooney lip-locked
Man, I betcha by the time AG let Mighty Micky loose from that one, his IQ registered a lower total than his inseam!
mongoII wrote:

B film actor John Drew Barrymore from 1950 thru 1976

John Drew Barrymore, recluse (father of Drew Barrymore)
The only place I can recall seeing this Barrymore was race-hopping in the role of a Dartmouth-educated Amerind chief named American Knife, on a season-one episode of "Wild Wild West"
mongoII wrote:

Sterling Hayden gives his daughter a lift
Said it before, but I gotta say it again: this guy's track-record potential was sorely wasted by Hollywood! It's just an absolute crime of culture that he didn't do twice as many films as what we see him in. Good, bad, big, small, I wouldn't care, and I don't think most others would either; the guy had so powerful a presence, and with so rare an edge of realism, that he could flesh-out even a so-so product of cinema.

mongoII wrote:
Edward G. Robinson & FBI chief J. Edgar Hoover (top secret?)
For my money, ol' J'Edgar is probably wracking his dysfunctional brain trying to come up with a smooth way to ask our Eddie for a dance!
mongoII wrote:
Horror mavens Karloff and Lugosi fooling around
Unprintable here (& rightly so), but any photo-teaming of these two, any more, always reminds me of the line Martin Landau (playing Lugosi) flips off at Johnny Depp (playing title character Ed Wood), when the latter brings up Karloff's name . . hardly dignified, but righteously on-the-money at that moment!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Morison is the correct way to spell her name and she was brought to Paramount as a threat to Dorothy Lamour and according to Paulette Goddard to her too!!
But, they all ended up friends... So much for studio rivalries.
I have seen several photographs of Paulette and Dolores Gray attending Patricia Morison concerts at Carnegie Hall and in venues in and around NYC.

Patricia Morison plays George Sand in "Song Without End" but left the movies after this one as George Cukor cut her role and dubbed her voice out as 'too feminine'...
I have heard that she is one person who never accepted an invitation to Cukor's brunches or dinners...

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

mongoII wrote:With all this discussion about navels I think I'll have an orange.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the Noir recommendation Joe, I'll try to check Miss Morison on film. I think I have "Without Love" (1945) on DVD.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Thanks to Mongo for the Sylvia Sidney photo. She's a favorite and that's an interesting and beautiful shot that I'd never seen before.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Thanks so very much for Mary Boland. She always brings a smile to my face.

It's always comforting to know that we do not discriminate here and that Mary Boland, Laura Hope Crews and Lucile Watson are treated as stars along with the rest of them.

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

I agree with Larry. I think I had never seen pictures of the young Lucile Watson and Laura Hope Crews.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Those three ladies were hotties in their day, weren't they? Lucille Watson always looked like she'd be my favorite grandma. Tough on the outside, and pure melted butter on the inside.

I would KILL for the dress Laura Hope Crews is wearing. Do you have any idea of the time frame of that photo?

Thanks, Joe, for all the hard work. This thread always starts my day!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

I would judge by the pic that Sean & Ms. St. John were involved in shooting Diamonds Are Forever, the only Connery Bond outing that I found to be a total flop, and a pretty painful one to even look at . . a result that usually required the talents of Roger Moore!
And judging from their expressions, I'd say Jill had probably watched the dailies, and Sean, ever the "Mr. Paycheck" (I'm a fan so I can say that!) hadn't even bothered.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Klonny astutely wrote:
Said it before, but I gotta say it again: this guy's track-record potential was sorely wasted by Hollywood! It's just an absolute crime of culture that he didn't do twice as many films as what we see him in. Good, bad, big, small, I wouldn't care, and I don't think most others would either; the guy had so powerful a presence, and with so rare an edge of realism, that he could flesh-out even a so-so product of cinema.

I'm line with you. After seeing TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN the first time, it became clear that one of the great casting injustices was not having Sterling Hayden portray Captain Ahab in MOBY DICK. Of course, maybe then the Great White wouldn't have won.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you all for the favorable responses to the images especially the grand character actresses of the silver screen, who just about stole every scene they appeared in. We must not forget them.

---------------------------------
Bebop a rebop rhubarb pie
---------------------------------
George Sanders when he was enjoying the good life ( commited suicide in 1972 at 65)

Hollywood's Tarzan Johnny Weissmuller cooling off

Beautiful stars Elizabeth Taylor and Jean Simmons

It's Mildred Pierce and daughter Veda reunited (were close friends)

Gina Lollobrigida & Burt Lancaster on the set of "Trapeze"

Susan Cabot & Audie Murphy visit children with Cerebral Palsy

Frances Langford, Wayne Morris, Bette Davis and Edward G. Robinson

Marie Windsor with actor Stacy Harris

Oscar winners Van Heflin, Greer Garson, James Cagney & Teresa Wright

It's Zsa Zsa Gabor in her mansion with husband # 8 Frederic Prinz von Anhalt

Happy campers Richard Davalos, Julie Harris & James Dean on set of "East of Eden"

85 year old Lizabeth Scott with columnist Army Archerd in 2008

Dean Martin, Lizabeth Scott & producer Hal B. Wallis on the Paramount lot

Henry Fonda with his daughter Jane

Robert Taylor home from the service taking pictures with wife Barbara Stanwyck

Beautiful actress Dorothy Malone

Handsome actor Gig Young

Lovely starlet Susan Peters

Charles Chaplin chatting with Sophia Loren

Vera Miles & husband Gordon 'Tarzan' Scott with Cheetah

Blonde bombshell Barbara Nichols with director Fritz Lang

Actor John Smith on the town with starlet Roxanne

Robert Montgomery relaxing in his home in Beverly Hills

Jack Haley as the Tin Man with director Victor Fleming on set of "Oz"

Exceptional tap dancer Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson

Character actor Dooley Wilson as Sam immortalized in "Casablanca"

Controversial comic actor and once millionaire Stepin Fetchit

A blonde Ida Lupino ready for her closeup (dig those lashes).

Lovely Martha Hyer with actor Peter van Eyck in Berlin (1960)

Hugh O'Brien married his very first wife Virginia in 2006. He is now 85.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

So, I wonder if that shot of Ida Lupino was the kind of image she was projecting when she showed up in Hollywood in the early '30s to play Alice in Wonderland while she was still a teenager? I'd read that Paramount thought her just a tad too sophisticated for the part. Now we know why! She was so much prettier (and younger looking) when she went for the au natural look, as in this shot from about 15 years later. When you realize the chemicals, cosmetics and constant rearranging of their natural features that these gals went through it's amazing that any of them had a hair left on their head:

Thanks for that amusing shot of Hugh O'Brian and his bride, Mongo. Mazel tov to those crazy kids for taking the plunge!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, JG, do ya think Bob Montgomery's couch is l o n g enough? :shock:
{'Course, he'd probably say it was due to 'divan' intervention . . and, you know, sofa, so good!} :x
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I thought "John Smith" was just an alias. And I wonder what Lizabeth Scott thought about Dean Martin borrowing her blouse?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, it's something how Hugh O'Brian managed to stay single all through the years. I guess he felt it was getting time for someone to begin taking care of him. Get what I mean?

Klondike, that was funny stuff. By the way, Montgomery had that sofa custom made.

Moraldo, actor John Smith's name is actually Robert Errol Van Orden. The full name of the gal who is with him is Roxanne Arden who was once married to Red Buttons.
That 'blouse' Dean Martin is wearing was used in a number he did in "Scared Stiff" with Lizabeth Scott.
Last edited by mongoII on November 22nd, 2008, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wonderful pictures Joe, as usual. Ida Lupino looks so different in the stills from her Paramount days.

And my dear friend, the "Trapeze" (1956) photo features Katy Jurado (not Gina Lollobrigida) and Burt Lancaster.

Keep them coming!!