*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Larry, as usual your recollections were fascinating. I appreciate it.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
JOHN ERICSON is 86 today

MICKEY ROONEY is 92 today

ROMY SCHNEIDER (1938 - 1982)

WALTER PIDGEON (1897 - 1984)
Joseph Goodheart
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Great picture of Romy Schneider. I keep forgetting about her. She was a lovely star. A shame that it all ended sadly for her.
[u]MONGO II[/u] wrote:Give me Rosalind Russell any day. I like a lady who goes one on one with the guys, ala Stanwyck, Crawford, Lombard and Davis.
[u]KING[/u] [u]RAT[/u] wrote:That photo of Rosalind Russell is really interesting. My first thought was that with that kind of look she could have played a Claire Trevor femme fatale role. Russell is smart and strong, always. I like her least when she's grabbing for that Oscar she never won, but that still leaves a variety of parts in both comedy and drama.
Claire Trevor? What a wonderful comparison! Dang, why didn't I think of that! I've liked Rosalind Russell ever since I started getting into classic films. Didn’t she sort of start out as a threat to keep Myrnal Loy in line? Whether she is ditzy & gossipy ( “THE WOMEN” ) a pin-striped working woman ( “TAKE A LETTER, DARLING” “HIS GIRL FRIDAY” ) to the manor born ( “CHINA SEAS” ) a little mousy but gains strength ( “NIGHT MUST FALL” ) idealistic ( “SISTER KENNY” ) utterly despairing ( “PICNIC” ) or just plain bawdy gutsy and grabbing life by the ba...throat ( “MAME” ) she’s had a wonderful career playing all shadings of Woman. Like you wrote K.R., she’s just as adroit in comedy ( I think she and Jack Carson are a marvelous team in “ROUGHLY SPEAKING” ) as she is in drama ( “THE CITADEL” ) I appreciate your and Joe’s open, positive & enlightened view of her. Hey Joey B!!! ...you really do get the most interesting candid shots of movie stars. You're thread is a long-running positive favorite too.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had to laugh, T, does this mean I am closed, negative and dim??? Geez, I love this place! As the Virginian said, when ya call me that.....SMILE....

Thank heavens we can comfortably agree to disagree! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Joe, you know I am one of your posse!!!!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Take it any way you want. No. I am not smiling.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, CineMaven. That's a grand summation of actress Rosalind Russell. I only wish she would have accepted the Oscar nomination in a 'supporting' role for "Picnic". I believe she would have had an Oscar on her mantle. Her high regard as a leading actress just wouldn't allow her to commit herself.

Nancy, thanks for being a team member.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Una to Freddie: "Years from now, when you talk about this ... And You Will ... Be Kind".
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Bette Davis plays with her adopted daughter Margot (sadly brain damaged).
The child was eventually institutionalized.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
HERB JEFFRIES is 99 today

ANTHONY NEWLEY (1931 - 1999)

LARRY GATES (1915 - 1996)

DON PORTER (1912 - 1997)

HOWARD HUGHES (1905 - 1976)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Indeed Hughes had the looks, Kingrat. Too bad he was off the wall.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Cary Grant & Barbara Hutton and Victor Francen attend a screening of "Tomorrow, the World!" February, 1945
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wonder if Barbara Hutton didn't photograph well? She always looks so frail yet she must have had something to capture Cary Grant. I'm not a cynic, I don't believe Cary married her for her money, others might have but not Cary.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I believe that Barbara Hutton may have been an anorexic, CCfan. Cary Grant supposedly used to try to get her to eat, but she bought that line attributed to the miserable-looking Duchess of Windsor hook, line and sinker: "You can never be too rich or too thin."

Wanna bet?

From what I've read, Cary Grant did not marry her for her money. A canny businessman himself, Grant donated his motion picture salaries to wartime charities during their marriage, and was one of the few men in her life who didn't fleece her on his way out the door, once he realized that her hangers-on were permanent fixtures. He appears to have remained friends with her and took a paternal interest in her son from her previous marriage, Lance Reventlow, who regarded Grant as his surrogate father. According to Grant, Hutton and he were not able to make a go of it since "Our marriage had little foundation for a promising future. Our backgrounds — family, educational and cultural — were completely unalike." Sadly, Grant and Hutton were unable to have a child together.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira and Alison,

You are correct that Barbara Hutton was an anorexic - one of the first, before it became "fashionable"!!!!
Her first husband, Alexis Mdivani, told her point blank on their wedding night that she was 'fat' and she dieted to the point of frailty and pastiness and fainting spells over the decades.....
I have seen all this personally over several years. And she aged quickly because of it.
You're right that she did not photgraph well....

One thing nobody says about her is her beautiful voice; a contralto speaking and messo-contralto singing voice. It was mesmerizing!!!
She was a very kind soul and seemed not to see the crass gigolos and spungers around her. Unfortunately, she needed people around her at all times and that may have ruined several of her marriages - probably Cary's......

I stayed with her in Tangiers in 1960 and it was supposed to be for 3 days, but she kept me there for 2 weeks....

Larry