Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Birthday gal Danielle Darrieux - senior citizen
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

Great photograph of Danielle Darrieux, still beautiful and animated at her age.
What a coup if she came to TCM FF next year.... "Madame De" and "The Five Fingers" are perfect to show there and with her, it would be 'the ultimate'!!!!

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
THEODORE BIKEL is 90 today

BING CROSBY (1903 - 1977)

HEDDA HOPPER (1885 - 1966)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Marlon Brando watches sister Jocelyn being made up for her role in "China Venture"
Joseph Goodheart
Nick

Post by Nick »

mongoII wrote:Image
LORNA GRAY aka ADRIAN BOOTH is 95 today
Before appearing in films, Gray sang with a group in Cleveland called Ben Yost's Varsity Coeds, who performed primarily in movie theaters before the movie began. Although she had a film test at Universal Studios and a brief contract with Paramount Pictures, she made her first big film for Columbia Pictures.
In her Paramount films, such as Hold 'Em Navy, she was credited as Virginia Pound (her real name), but she was given the name Lorna Gray by Columbia and she used it from 1938 until 1945, when she left Columbia and moved to Republic Pictures. At Republic, she adopted the name Adrian Booth, which she has used ever since. She certainly played the name game.
Appearing in westerns, thrillers, horror pictures and especially the serials in which the studio specialized.
She married actor David Brian in 1948, and after making films for a few more years, retired from the screen in 1951. They were married 44 years until his death in 1993.
I read somewhere that she was suspected by the police of possessing marijuana in 1945. This might've been the reason why she left Columbia. If this incident hadn't happened, she would've stayed for another 7 years. I'm willing to bet that this is also the reason she changed name at Republic Pictures.
A former Blossom Queen was free in Los Angeles under $1000 bond today after being arrested on suspicion of possessing marijuana. The suspect is screen actress Lorna Gray, whose real name is Virginia Pound. She was chosen Blossom Queen in 1936 while a Grand Rapids high school student and ruled over the May festival that year. Two years after being Blossom Queen here, Miss Pound was signed by Columbia Pictures and last week she signed a seven-year contract. Miss Pound was arrested with movie stunt man Ruel F. Taylor, 37. Taylor works at the same studio as Miss Pound, often doubling for Roy Rogers, cowboy star.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nick, it seems sad to bring up these charges against the 97 year old Miss Booth in this day and age. Although it may have been the marijuana that is the reason for her longevity. Do you think?
Last edited by mongoII on May 2nd, 2014, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Barry Fitzgerald and birthday boy Bing Crosby hold their Oscars for "Going My Way"
Joseph Goodheart
Nick

Post by Nick »

mongoII wrote:Nick, it seems sad to bring up these charges against the 97 year old Miss Booth in this day and age. Although it may have been the marijuana that is the reason for her longevity. Do you think?
Actually, I like Lorna. I was just trying to come up with an reason for her last name change. To start fresh again. I'm glad she's still with us.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Director Edward Dmytryk and Ginger Rogers check the "Tender Comrade" script
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ROBERT OSBORNE is 82 today

MARY ASTOR (1906 - 1987)

WALTER SLEZAK (1902 - 1983) suicide

JACK LA RUE (1902 - 1984)

ALINE MacMAHON (1899 - 1991)

BEULAH BONDI (1889 - 1981)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

The cast of "Key Largo" in a better frame of mind
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Thanks for posting that birthday photo of my pal, Jack LaRue. Despite his sinister visage and onscreen villainous demeanor, he was a true gent and a class act. Had a great time reminiscing with him about George Raft and his own on-and-off again movie career.

And another gem still from "Key Largo". But does Bogie look as if he might be afraid Eddie's going to put the moves on Betty?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, I doubt very much if Bogie had anything to worry about.

I always enjoyed Jack La Rue in his films. It's too bad that he didn't get the parts in "Scarface" and
"The Petrified Forest" that he tested for. He was one of our top gangsters.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Looks like FDR has Katharine Hepburn in a good humor (I wonder if she snorted)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

EFREM ZIMBERLIST JR. (1929 - 1993) R.I.P.
Joseph Goodheart