*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by jdb1 »

I think the photo of Charles Lane is pretty impressive too. You can read a whole world of bank presidents, real estate moguls and humble clerks into that face.

[Vito Scotti forever!]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Just how many shows do you suppose Charles Lane AND Vito Scotti guested on? Who had the most credits on TV do you think?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BLONDES GONE WILD

VERONICA LAKE

LIZABETH SCOTT

ANNE BAXTER
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I didn't sort them out, but IMDb lists 210 screen appearances for Scotti, and 353 for Lane. Neither one seems to have been out of work for very long at any time in their careers.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Was Charles Lane's last appearance in Murphy's Romance? He was so darned cute in that one..telling Murphy to slow down (or was it hurry up?) in the old car. He was on his way to court a widder lady over to the next town. I think I do more "CHARLES LANE!" shouts than I do "WHIT BISSELL!" ones.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

That's the most feminine I've ever seen Lizabeth Scott look. Nice legs, and soft facial expression. Usually I think of her as feminine as Ernest Borgnine...
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JANUARY 27th. BIRTHDAYS

TROY DONAHUE (1936 - 2001)

DOLORES MORAN (1924 - 1982)

SABU (1924 - 1963)

DONNA REED (1921 - 1986)

JOYCE COMPTON (1907 - 1997)
Joseph Goodheart
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow! Delores Moran is a knockout! Who is she?

Sabu-- brings back memories of my childhood, there were very few old movies on in Oklahoma when I was little, but you could count on Sabu in Thief of Baghdad on New Years Eve.... I love him so...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Sabby looks so handsome and urbane in that photo. How sad that he was so very typecast throughout his all-to-short career.

And then there's [sigh] Troy Donahue. Such a nice portrait of him -- the essence of youth -- he looks at the same time cocky, shy and eager. (I have a photo of George Harrison at about age 15 with a very similar expression on his face.) What a sad mess Donahue made of his post-screen idol life. It seems he just couldn't deal with being a grown up Troy.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Wendy, actress Dolores Moran was indeed a beauty who showed promise in "Old Acquaintance" with Bette Davis, "To Have and Have Not", and "The Man I Love" with Ida Lupino. After a few more 'B' films her career took a nosedive. You can read more about her on IMDb.

Judith, my niece Annie also adored Troy Donahue. In fact she won a contest, along with other some other girls, to have Thanksgiving dinner with him in New York. Of course she was on cloud nine and still has the memento's from that event. I also took her to the premier of "Susan Slade" where she saw Troy and Connie Stevens in person. Those were the days.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

PERNELL ROBERTS (1928 - 2010) RIP
Joseph Goodheart
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Troy Donahue was one of my heartthrobs even though I was soon married and had kids. I loved and still enjoy all of his teen idol movies like, Parrish, A Summer Place, Rome Adventure and Susan Slade, but he seemed to disappear from movies suddenly, guested on a few TV shows then reappeared in really bad "B" movies, at which time I knew he was over. I think it was a Murder She Wrote that I saw him, late in life, and he looked about 20 years older than he was. Such a shame for someone with such great prospects.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:Wow! Delores Moran is a knockout! Who is she?
Hi Wendy,
You might also remember Dolores as the suicidal cupcake who distracts a less than angelic Jack Benny in The Horn Blows at Midnight, which is where I first noticed her. Ms. Moran, playing a beauteous French freedom fighter, was supposed to be getting the big Warner Brothers build-up during the making of To Have and To Have Not, but we all know what happened during that movie. Regarding the stunningly beautiful Dolores' role-playing as the French resistance leader's wife...oh, how you zay, "zee French accent, she was not so hot?"--even if the actress certainly had a warmth and allure that might have shone if given the right setting sometime.

Moran eventually married a wealthy producer named Ben Bogeaus, (after several years of playing cat and mouse) in 1946, with the couple divorcing in 1962. Her decades-older hubby was an indie producer before it was fashionable, making some pretty intriguing movies in the process, such as Andre de Toth's Dark Waters (1944), Jean Renoir's Diary of a Chambermaid (1946) and The Macomber Affair (1947). He also seems to have had a habit in later years of setting up shaky deals in Central and South America as well as the Caribbean on numerous projects, some of which panned out nicely. I'm sorry to digress, but Bogeaus seems to have been quite a character and I've heard stories about his and Dolores' abilities to talk people into making movies that did not quite turn out the way people thought they would, but were shot in really exotic (and sometimes cheesy) locations. You can read more about his somewhat checkered but really interesting career in the Hollywood years here.

There's lots of dish on Dolores here . My favorite Dolores Moran tale: In 1968 Ms. Moran "hits the news when she inherits $250,000 from 58-year-old bachelor Anthony Ponce, whom she served as a car hop in a drive-in 27 years ago." Somehow, I don't think that Dolores had to do much heavy lifting after leaving the silver screen. This is a link to an LA Times article that expands on that last item. Dolores Moran left a lasting impression!

Please excuse me for interrupting, Mongo.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Rugged actor Charlton Heston in almost all his glory
Joseph Goodheart
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

"Git yer tickets, git yer tickets... can't see the show without a ticket... git yer tickets, git yer tickets..."

I can almost hear the sidewalk hawkers calling.