*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:
jdb1 wrote: However, I thought he was very good in The Mechanic, as Charles Bronson's perfidious apprentice.
I can second that, Jude; I too had my snags in enjoying J-MV's performances, but in my case, that was always softeneded by his uncanny resemblence to my brother's son, who is only 3 years younger than myself. So I guess you could say I always regarded him with a sort of big-brother affection, though he's almost 10 years older than I am.
I would also opine, having seen him in about everything he's done, at one time or another, that where he ended up shining the brightest was in his role as Ernest Borgnine's hero-for-hire partner in the TV series "Airwolf".

How can you not groove on a decorated combat copper pilot who plays the cello to relax, resides in a beautiful cabin high in the Rockies and is named Stringfellow Hawk? {Oh yeah, he takes down bad guys in his spare time, too!}
There was a TV series called Airwolf? Guess I missed that one. Probably because I saw Jan-Michael's name attached to it. Besides, I can stand only so much video testosterone during the course of a day before I start sprouting chin whiskers.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Trust me, Brooklyn Gal, you've gotta catch at least one episode, if only to behold Ernie Borgnine togged up in an airbase-style jumpsuit, with every single brass & nickel zipper outshone by his high-wattage Italian grin! :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love that picture of Coop! It's such a contrast....
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Re: Jan M-V: I did NOT need to see that. I always thought he was a beautiful young man, and would age well. It goes to show, you just never know.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 16th. BIRTHDAYS

STANLEY CLEMENTS (1926 - 1981)

WILLIAM BISHOP (1918 - 1959)

GINGER ROGERS (1911 - 1995)

SONNY TUFTS (1911 - 1970)

BARBARA STANWYCK (1907 - 1990)

PERCY KILBRIDE (1888 - 1964)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alma Hitchcock appears oblivious to the head in the refrigerator
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

I know just how Alma feels:-
Only this morning, I opened my fridge and there was Anne Boleyn's head....
I told her not to scream, as Marie Antonette's jealous head is in a trunk in the basement!!!!

Please don't call the police, as we are now all about to have 'nap time'... :|

Cheers, :lol:
Larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi Joe,

I know just how Alma feels:-
Only this morning, I opened my fridge and there was Anne Boleyn's head....
I told her not to scream, as Marie Antonette's jealous head is in a trunk in the basement!!!!

Please don't call the police, as we are now all about to have 'nap time'... :|

Cheers, :lol:
Larry
Careful, Larry; if the UPS van pulls up out front, you'll know that Gwyneth Paltrow's noggin is crashing your party! [ . . but maybe not until Seven . . ]
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Elizabeth Taylor and Esther Williams get together in 1993
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 17th. BIRTHDAYS

DIAHANN CARROLL is 74 today

DONALD SUTHERLAND is 74 today

ACQUANETTA (1921 - 2004)

JUNE VINCENT (1920 - 2008)

HELEN WALKER (1920 - 1968)

CASS DALEY (1915 - 1975)

IRENE MANNING (1912 - 2004)

BARBARA O'NEIL (1910 - 1980)

JOHN CARROLL (1906 - 1979)

WILLIAM GARGAN (1905 - 1979)

JAMES CAGNEY (1899 - 1986)

STANLEY RIDGES (1890 - 1951)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh, poor Cass Daley. I can still remember reading the newspaper account of her tragic, stupid, accidental death: she fell onto and broke a glass coffee table, severing her jugular vein, and bled to death. It gave me a lifelong prejudice against glass accent tables, and I still refuse to have one in the house. (And glass tables were always a big thing among Italian-Americans -- guess they compliment the clear plastic slipcovers on the chairs.)
klondike

Post by klondike »

jdb1 wrote:(And glass tables were always a big thing among Italian-Americans -- guess they compliment the clear plastic slipcovers on the chairs.)
OMG, Judith, it's like you've been in my mother-in-law's living room! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Actually, I can't say whether Juanita's penchant for vinyl slip covers [THAT NEVER COME OFF] is from having been a BAM (female marine) in the mid 50's, or from the fact that she's been married to a Siciliano (Mrs. K's stepdad) for the past 40 years.
I don't think it was from her childhood on the St. Regis Rez; most homes out there are grounded trailers, and get refurbished yearly from the Goodwill.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, when I was in the furniture business we sold beautiful beveled glass top tables. However I always warned the customers of the danger with those tables especially those with children.
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

mongoII wrote:Judith, when I was in the furniture business we sold beautiful beveled glass top tables. However I always warned the customers of the danger with those tables especially those with children.
Certainly, Joe, I have seen some beautiful ones. I just don't want one in my own living quarters. I feel the same about using black umbrellas -- they just aren't safe.

Did you have the kind with driftwood bases? Always a favorite of the Italian men of our acquaintance, but usually relegated to the finished basements by their wives. The ladies seemed to favor the tables with Italian Provincial embellishments for their living rooms.

I'm remembering the feeling of sitting on, and getting up from, those plastic slip covers in the summer. That peeling sensation on the backs of your legs, since all kids wore shorts in the summer, and very few people in our circle had air conditioning. Fortunately, my mother never used those slip covers, which even she considered old fashioned.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Am I misremembering, or did William Holden also suffer some form of death-by-coffee-table?