*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by JackFavell »

mrsl - I had never heard of Myrna Dell till last years showing of Roughshod - a really good western with Gloria Grahame, Claude Jarman, Jr. and Robert Sterling. Myrna just leaped off the screen for me... I thought she was great. You would probably like the film a lot, as there are several female characters. Mathat Hyer, Sara Haden and Jeff Donnell are also in the cast.

Virginia Christine was Mrs. Olsen, the Folgers coffee lady, and was married to Fritz Feld.

Dean Stockwell is one of my favorites - his down to earth approach to acting has always made me like him. I watch him young, old or anything in between happily. He was about the cutest boy you could ever see, except for maybe Dickie Moore.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

JackFavell wrote:Dean Stockwell is one of my favorites - his down to earth approach to acting has always made me like him. I watch him young, old or anything in between happily. He was about the cutest boy you could ever see, except for maybe Dickie Moore.
Add to that short list, Scotty Beckett. I still wish he'd not ended up so badly, what a sad tale.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I loved Joan Shawlee as the beleaguered band leader in Some Like It Hot

Anne, Virginia Christine did a lot of Folgers (?) coffee commercials and before that was the hateful "friend" of Katherine Hepburn in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

When I was 11, I got to meet Henry Daniell, got his autograph. Sadly, I was more interested in Tony Curtis, who was sitting at the next table....UGH!!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

What!!!!! Oh I would have melted if I got to meet Henry Daniell....

oop my secret's out. Yes, I think he's sexy..... how embarrassing.

I once reached over Michael Murphy to shake Austin Pendleton's hand... I was so excited to meet Pendleton. weird huh?

And Scotty Beckett was a doll...
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Don't be embarrassed. I also think Daniell's pretty hot. And I'm a big fan of Austin Pendleton, too, although I don't think I'd describe him as "hot."

Knitty, do you still have the autograph? Did he have wonderful handwriting? I had a few autographs when I was a kid, but had no inkling of their value (monetary and otherwise), and they are lost to the mists of time. Every time I see an autograph collector on Antiques Roadshow, I mentally kick myself. I do have the signed photo of Mae Clarke, but I bought that from a dealer, and of course it's made out to somebody else.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I enjoyed Virginia Christine as Princess Ananka in "The Mummy's Curse" (1944).
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Yup, I still have the autographs. all in one hour, I got Mr.Daniell, Charles Bickford, T. Curtis, Martha Hyer, and Fred McMurray!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

WOW!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I just found them again after more years than I will confess to ( :oops: :oops:) in a box of old pictures.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Gail Russell watching hubby Guy Madison playing cupid?
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Perhaps Guy was getting ready to track down yet another Beast From Hollow Mountain!
As a longbowman myself, I really wish I could get a better look at that bow behind him; it would appear he's knocking & fletching his own shafts, and that he's using clothyard measures of Port Orford cedar, and grey lapwing pin feathers - probably setting his own heads, as well.
Definitely Old School . . . wonder if he was mentored by the great Howard Hill, as a handful of Hollywood celebrities were? :roll:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, Guy Madison did look up to the legendary Howard Hill and also went hunting with him.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

MARCH 6th. BIRTHDAYS

BEN MURPHY is 68 today

LISA GAYE is 75 today

JOHN SMITH (1931 - 1995)

ALLISON HAYES (1930 - 1977)

JAMES EDWARDS (1918 - 1970)

VIRGINIA GREGG (1916 - 1986)

ROCHELLE HUDSON (1916 - 1972)

LOU COSTELLO (1906 - 1959)

LUDWIG DONATH (1900 - 1967)

JAY C. FLIPPEN (1899 - 1971)

NELLA WALKER (1886 - 1971)

GUY KIBBEE (1882 - 1956)
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Nella Walker! She will always be "Mrs. Maude Larrabee" for me. :D

Thanks Joe, for all the great pictures and "snaps" of film history...This is my first stop every day!

Nancy
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Alison, I appreciate it. Glad that you enjoy the thread.
Joseph Goodheart