*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thanks Larry for the info regarding the "Young Bess" premier image. Perhaps one day I'll find the the original image.

Thanks Judith. And here I always thought that it was Desi Arnaz who had the original hit on "Babalu". Mr. Vades appeared to be a vibrant personality.
Bela Lugosi did look fine in that image. It's too bad he went to hell with those damn drugs.

Looks like Joan Crawford is handling Clark Gable's pistol

It's Bette Davis in all her formidable glory.

Norma Shearer and Lana Turner catching up on some gossip.

Humorist Robert Benchley enjoying the girlies

Maureen Stapleton & Fay Wray with producer Rick McKay

Wonder Boy Johnny Eck of "Freaks" with twin brother Robert.

Gloria Swanson & William Holden with the 'waxworks' in "Sunset Blvd."

Woe is me. Butterfly McQueen on the set of "Gone With the Wind"

Ronald Reagan and wife Jane Wyman up for a game of ping pong

Oscar winner Victor McLaglen interviewed during the making of "The Lost Patrol"

Underrated horror/crime drama actor Dwight Frye (the one and only)

Ann Blyth chats with Susan Hayward and husband Jess Barker in 1950.

Hitchcock directing Janet Leigh how to be terrified in "Psycho"

A radiant Ann Blyth (78) in 2006 with reporter David Cerda.

Charles Laughton, Marlene Dietrich, Tyrone Power & Billy Wilder discussing "Witness for the Prosecution"
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

You have a rare picture of Norma Shearer kneeling before Lana Turner!!
It happened at the premier party for "Imitation of Life", when Norma came over to Lana's table. This would never have happened when Lana first started out at MGM and Norma was Queen. Lana would have had to go over to Norma.

Lana told me later that it was kind of embarrassing to have 'the great Norma Shearer kneeling and congratulating her'. I think Norma looks a little 'out of it' - maybe her mind was going slightly even then in 1959.
That's Norma's husband, Martin Arrouge (sp??) with the back of his head to us...

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hate to say it, Mongo, but Tyrone Power really didn't look well in that last photo with the cast from Witness For the Prosecution. The poor guy was probably already on borrowed time due to his heart.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow!!!!!! :shock: Miss Blyth looks really amazingly young in that 2006 picture. Impressive!!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, thanks for the info regarding the Norma Shearer and Lana Turner image. It only goes to show you that Miss Shearer had class.

Moira, I too got the same impression of Tyrone Power in that image. The handsome movie idol would pass away just a year later in 1958.

Fernando, I also couldn't believe how beautiful Ann Blyth looked in 2006.
Clean living? It would be nice if Robert Osborne could snag her for an interview.

The distinguished character actor C. (Charles) Aubrey Smith.

Edward G. Robinson and Mariam Marsh on the set of "Five Star Final"

Billy Wilder, MM, Tony Curtis & Jack Lemmon on set of "Some Like It Hot"

Exceptional director Raoul Walsh ("High Sierra", "White Heat" etc.)

Buster Keaton playing 'bang ball' with a lady friend.

Angela Lansbury fixing a dog's boo boo in 1945.

The lovely Jean Harlow lounging in all her glory.

Pre-code actor George O'Brien discus thrower.

Jane Russell enjoying a bubble bath in a wooden tub (splinters?)

Mexican actress Lupita Tover (Susan Kohner's mother).

Lupita Tover & Susan Kohner between sons Paul and Chris Weitz.

Endearing Juanita Moore & Susan Kohner at a showing of "Imitation of Life"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I believe that the young man on his knees in the corner of the Five Star Final picture is that dynamic bundle of talent, Mervyn Leroy, whose films during the early years of the Depression at Warner Brothers are among the best that studio produced--including this great movie about the newspaper game, which, inexplicably is not commercially available on dvd, but happily is being aired on TCM on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 12:30PM ET.

Mongo, I just remembered something that actress Mai Zetterling wrote with fondness about her involvement with Tyrone Power in her memoir, All Those Tomorrows. Over the course of their affair, she observed his restlessness, constantly traveling and moving, (not only for tax reasons). He drove himself relentlessly, and, like many in that era, drank, smoked and took prescription "pep" pills when needed. Whenever she asked him to see a doctor about his chronic insomnia and fatigue, he only said he didn't want to know if there were any serious health problems. How sad for his children.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I give up: what is that between George O'Brien's legs --- are they leaves; a crumpled-up hankie; an endive? And is it a piece of post-production censorship?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

judith, I have tried to figure that one out, too :oops: :oops: It honestly looks like a Raggedy Andy doll!!!!! Now, my eyes ain't what they used to be, but boy, did that photo wake me up this morning!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jdb1 wrote:I give up: what is that between George O'Brien's legs --- are they leaves; a crumpled-up hankie; an endive? And is it a piece of post-production censorship?
Could it be his,uh, ahem, dignity? I do like the Raggedy Ann doll suggestion, Nancy. It looks like one. I think I've seen another version of this image somewhere that is even more disturbing, since Mr. O'Brien appears to be neuter in that one. Poor George. :oops:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, thanks for the additional info regarding the "Five Star Final" image and pointing out the talented Mervyn Leroy.
That was an interesting tidbit about Mai Zetterling and Tyrone Power.

By the way 'poor' George O'Brien was a popular psysique model at Fox during the 1920's as well as a silent screen star and pre-code star.

Actor Richard Denning with beautiful screamer wife Evelyn Ankers

Rita Hayworth & Victor Mature at a Victory War Rally during WWII

Stunning Dolores Del Rio in her leopard outfit
Joseph Goodheart
Moraldo Rubini

Odd Couples

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

feaito wrote:Wow!!!!!! :shock: Miss Blyth looks really amazingly young in that 2006 picture. Impressive!!
This is one of the most wonderful threads I've ever seen. You know, you think you've seen every publicity shot of our favorite stars; but this thread is a treasure trove of photos that I've never seen. I love it.

Fernando, the picture of Ann Blyth looks as if it were taken at San Francisco's Castro Theatre the night I was there. I wrote about it over in the TCM board.

Some of my favorite shots are of deleted scenes (Now Voyager and the Lon Chaney among them), or on-set shots from behind the camera. The portrait of the elder Loretta Young took my breath away. She was absolutely gorgeous from her teens to her ending days, it seems. Stunning. That shot alone would have made this thread worthy.

And among the most intriguing are those that I consider odd couples: either surprises to me, or even those that I just have never gotten used to. For instance, I could never wrap my head around Eleanor Powell and Glenn Ford as a couple. She seems a foot taller than he. Certainly she could kick over his head. I'd forgotten that Lana Turner was with Lex Barker. (He seems to have been the male Zsa Zsa: he never quite made it as a star, but was known as a celebrity -- made iconically so by Fellini*). I'd also forgotten about odd couples Rita Hayworth and Dick Haymes; and Burgess Meredith and Paulette Goddard. I was very surprised to learn about some couples. How did I miss that these couples were together?!

Dorothy Malone and Jacques Bergerac (?!)
Jon Hall and Frances Langford (?!)
Don Murray and Hope Lange (not so odd, but how did I not know this?)
Jean-Pierre Aumont and Maria Montez (?!)

Anyway, I don't get to the Oasis as much as I'd like; but I'm so glad that I stumbled upon this thread. It's taken me two days to get through it and it was most enjoyable. Thanks Mongo!!!!

* Also, thanks for that wonderful shot of the handsome Fellini with the even more beautiful Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren. And for the many delightful and/or moving shots of Anna Magnani.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Marco,

Ann Blythe does indeed look good and always has!!! I hope you got to see her at the Castro; you would have been in the presence of a very exemplary STAR!!!!!

Paulette Goddard always spoke very well of Burgess Meredith and he of her. In an interview around the time he did "Rocky", he mentioned how they both had a wonderful & fun marriage and he hoped she was well. Don't know why they divorced, really.....

I was at the Lana & Lex wedding in Turin, Italy and they were a beautiful couple. They could have had great looking babies together but she had a couple of miscarriages and they then went their separate ways. Lana did not speak well of Lex, everafter.....

The consensis on Jacques Bergerac back in the 50's was that he married to further his career. He wed, then dumped Ginger Rogers; and then married Dorothy Malone when she became 'flavour of the month' after her Oscar win.
He had two girls with Malone and then divorced her and never saw the kids again. People call George Sanders a "cad" but Monsieur Bergerac qualifies more I'd say.....

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mongo,
Was there a reason (other than looking fetching) that Delores Del Rio wore that leopard suit, or was that something she "just threw on to answer the front door"?

Moraldo, it's always great to hear from you! Come back more often.

Larry,
Didn't Jacques Bergerac have a brother who was very big in the cosmetic industry in France? Was his brother an actor briefly as well?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Moraldo Rubini

Veda!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Vecchiolarry wrote:Ann Blythe does indeed look good and always has!!! I hope you got to see her at the Castro; you would have been in the presence of a very exemplary STAR!!!!!
I definitely saw her, Larry. Here's the thread regarding that great evening: http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... 4&tstart=0
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Maraldo,
Thank you very much for the plaudits regarding the thread. I'm glad to know that you were enlightened and enjoyed most of the images.

Moira,
For some reason I believe that Miss Del Rio wore that outfit in one of her movies.

Pre-code star Anita Page who passed away on 9/6/08 at 98.

Greta Garbo arriving in New York in 1929 (stock market crash?)

Myrna Loy with director John Stahl on the set of "Parnell".

Laurence Olivier with wife Vivien Leigh and their little pet.

TCM's Robert Osborne embraces Gena Rowlands at a salute to Bette Davis in 2008.

Child star Freddie Bartholomew snaps his mom and aunt Sissy.

John Cassavetes directing Judy Garland and Bruce Ritchey in "A Child Is Waiting"

Oscar winner William Holden beaming at the poodle.

A young Marlon Brando kicking up his heels even then.

Underrated actress Betty Field getting her hair done before a scene.

Harpo Marx and wife Susan appear on TVs "Person to Person".