*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
rudyfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by rudyfan »

And just for fun, here's Pola and Rudy in happier times, Mae Murray's wedding day to the sibling of Pola's future hubbo (once she got over the love of her life, the man she would love and mourn forever, Valentino, um 6 months later.....) Pola is wearing one of the more unattractive gowns of a Maid of Honor. Rudy looks, um, hot, if I do say so myself. :lol:

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

As far as the image of Kathryn Grayson and Shirley Temple goes, I call 'em as I see 'em. The caption indicated it was those two ladies whom I believe it is.

Joan Crawford

Richard Barthelmess

Bette Davis

Bob Hope

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TIMOTHY CAREY March 11th. (1929 - 1994)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALBERT SALMI March 11th. (1928 - 1990)

Actor Robert Montgomery directing Audrey Totter in "Lady in the Lake" in 1947

Walter Brennan and his wife Ruth puttering in their greenhouse in 1959

Some cheesecake from western star Dale Evans in 1941

Rosalind Russell

Gary Cooper

Greta Garbo

Lana Turner

Jerry Lewis

Jean Harlow

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELEN PARRISH March 12th. (1923 - 1959)

Child star Jackie Cooper with his mom Mabel

Jack Lemmon with first wife Cynthia and their son Chris

Bing Crosby with wife Kathryn and their son Harry in 1961
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Donna,

Thanks for the Rudy/Pola picture.
They both look good and happy too; but you're right about the dress from "tent city". What was she thinking??!!!
Miss Murray's dress from that wedding was even more 'ultra-glamour queenish' - all white fox fur on hemline and sleeves..

Pola always referred to her ex-husband sarcastically as "The Prince"... When I first met her in 1946, I admired a large ruby ring on her finger when she shock my hand. She chuckled, "It was given to me by The Prince; I paid for it so he was happy to give it to me!!"...
I was 4 years old and completely confused --- who the hell is she talking about???
Later, in 1986, when I last visited her in San Antonio, she gave it to me. She died a year later.
I still wear that ring...

Larry
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I like Pola in that picture, she looks very serene on Rudy's arm, who wouldn't be knowing they were dating the hottest man of the decade. BTW This will make me sound like someone with a fetish but I haven't but I really notice Rudy's hands, they look very broad and strong. I wouldn't refuse his touch :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Great dog pix, Mongo!
Joan's chilling with her Dachsund, Richard B. shows off a nice brace of Weimaraners, Bett's hanging with a West Highland White Terrier ("westies" to their fanciers), and the prolific Mr. Hope cuddles a spaniel (probably a middle-aged Cocker) while a fawn Great Dane b*tch pouts jealously nearby.
Believe it or not, Danes are known as Deutsche dogges throughout most of Europe!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

the dog Bette's petting is a Scottie, isn't it? The one on the ground is a Westie. I think it was quite popular to have one of each.
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:the dog Bette's petting is a Scottie, isn't it? The one on the ground is a Westie. I think it was quite popular to have one of each.
Wow, nice save in centerfield, there, Nance!
I didn't even notice that second dog, as it was against the similarly dark background; yes, that certainly looks like a Scottish Terrier, though I'm used to seeing better examples, conformation wise.
And yup, thanks to those fun, ubiquitous Black & White scotch whisky ads from the 30's & 40's, owning "chesspiece" terriers (i.e., a Westie & a Scottie) became briefly de rigeur among the jet set, and often, not very responsibly.
From an aesthetic p.o.v., it all still seems peculiar to a cynophile like myself, as there are pure white, and wheaten, color phases available from different Scottish Terrier breeders!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

To be completely honest, I didn't see the Scottie the first time I looked at the photo, either. I realized she was looking down, and the Westie was just sitting there, looking off to the right. Didn't add up, so I took another peek. You would have realized it, too, my fine, non-furry friend (at least I THINK you're non-furry..... :shock: :shock: :shock: )
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: my fine, non-furry friend (at least I THINK you're non-furry..... :shock: :shock: :shock: )
Depends on the time o' year.
Remember when Janey Powell first encounters the younger 6/7's of the Pontipee clan in Seven Brides [etc]?
(Unshaven, unbathed, entirely male-mannered, irrefutably bonded to their union suits . .) :twisted:
Well . .
Things started improving six years ago, when I reached my 25th wedding anniversary, my second grandchild arrived, and I opened my own business . .
So this old backcountry musher is a little more presentable now . . . especially when I get kilted-up to go out drinkin'! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Klonnie said:
So this old backcountry musher is a little more presentable now . . . especially when I get kilted-up to go out drinkin'! :D

as long as you come home wearing that kilt...... :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:

Sorry, Joe, we digress......
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Nancy, no need to digress. I'm glad that you and Klondike enjoyed the canine images. If the subject matter created banter among members, that's a good thing. Also I find it interesting to learn more about the pets of the stars.

Nancy Sinatra with husband singer Tommy Sands and her mom Nancy Sr.

Phil Silvers romping around with Liza Minnelli during her mom's "Summer Stock"

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY PAUL STEWART March 13th (1908 - 1986)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL FIX March 13th (1901 - 1983)

James Dean getting cozy with Ursula Andress

Busby Berkeley directing Dick Powell and Joan Blondell in 1937

Love Goddess Rita Hayworth getting prepped for "Fire Down Below" in 1957
HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL FIX March 13th (1901 - 1983)
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I don't know, I kinda like Rita Hayworth's toes. They give the woman good balance.

The beautiful Carole Lombard

Carole Lombard with 2nd husband Clark Gable

Michael Redgrave, Margaret Lockwood & Alfred Hitchcock discussing "The Lady Vanishes"

Director Garson Kanin, Carole Lombard & Charles Laughton view rushes of "They Knew What They Wanted"

Edward G. Robinson at the Warner Bros. parking lot in 1949

Lon McCallister and George Reeves together in the service in 1942

Lovely Linda Darnell out to lunch with a lucky serviceman in 1942

Columnist Hedda Hopper flashing servicemen in 1945...not really

Myrna Loy serving up coffee at the Hollywood Canteen

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAWRENCE TIERNEY March 15th. (1919 - 2002)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MACDONALD CAREY March 15th. (1913 - 1994)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE BRENT March 15th. (1899 - 1979)

Doris Day with her mother Alma in 1957

John Bromfield and Burt Lancaster on a break during the filming of "Rope of Sand"

Director Roberto Rossellini enamored with Jayne Mansfield

JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE
Jack Benny and James Stewart among the pallbearers at Gary Cooper's funeral in 1961

Marisa Pavan at her sister Pier Angeli's funeral in 1971. Angeli's ex-husband Vic Damone attends.

Robert Taylor's widow Ursula Thiess with Ronald Reagan and wife Nancy attending in 1969

Charles 'Buddy' Rogers and wife Mary Pickford with Mrs. Clark Gable
at Actress Marion Davies funeral in 1961

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY LEWIS 82 on March 16th.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MERCEDES McCAMBRIDGE Match 16th (1916 - 2004)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES HALTON March 16th. (1876 - 1959)

The Irish Mafia include James Cagney, Frank McHugh, Pat O'Brien & Spencer Tracy
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Great shot of humminna-humminna-humminna Hayworth, Joe, and small wonder that you dedicated it to the memory of Paul Fix . . I'm sure that somewhere, that salty old westerner is creasing his mug with a big ol' grin of gratitude! :mrgreen:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I always thought Clark Gable was a lucky guy to have bagged Carole Lombard, even with his looks.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

What a very nice picture of Mercedes McCambridge. Nice to see one that shows she was a sweetheart of a lady and not the harridan that her movie career impresses.
She suffers from the same fate as my other friend, Agnes Moorehead - the both played so many nasties that people don't realize that they were both lovely ladies.

Ironically, they both played together on "Bewitched" as opponent witches...

Larry