*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by klondike »

Wow, what a tamale Jeannette MacDonald was!!
Somehow, you don't always see it, necessarily, in all her vehicles, depending on lighting & angles, maybe, but judging from her better stills & promo shots, she must have been pretty exciting to look at most of the time, especially in person.
Dang, where's Larry V. these days? Betcha he remembers her, up close & personal!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think Lubitsch and Malmoulian knew how to use her charms to their full effect.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HANGING IN THERE

LUISE RAINER is now age 99

KARL MALDEN is now age 97

GLORIA STUART turns 99 on July 4th.

ELI WALLACH is now age 93

OLIVIA de HAVILLAND turns 93 on July 1st.

KIRK DOUGLAS is now age 93
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

It's good to know that there are a few big talents still alive. God bless them all.

BTW is Joan Fontaine still alive?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CCfan, I'm happy to report that Joan Fontaine is still alive and kicking at age 91.

Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Thank you I'm so pleased to know that. Joan looks quite the diva in that picture.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I think that photo was taken as she was showing someone part of her garden. So it's not really a Pose, but a candid. But she does look the Diva, doesn't she?
klondike

Post by klondike »

It would appear Joan enjoys sharing her patio dance with an Old English Sheepdog (also known as an English Bobtail, and oddly enough, quite often named "Waldo" by American owners), and a Labrador mix.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Who would have thought that Luise Rainer would live to be 99? She came to Hollywood, won two Oscars in a row (beating out Garbo!), became indignant, and left Hollywood forever! She should have been punished! She should have died at 64! Garbo only lived to be 84! Who does she think she is? I mean REALLY! The Noive!

Ha! Good for her! She looks Fantastic and seems to have all her faculties. But, seriously, for me, I hope I go way before 99. Yes, she is probably well off. She doesn't need to work or need money. But, I will probably die a drunken vagrant in the streets, and I hope I go way before I can't walk anymore, like my father who is 90. Old age scares me to death! I mean really old age. I am going to be 60, and that is NOTHING. But, 99?!?! Holly Schmolly! No, thanks!
charliechaplinfan

I don't mind the thought of living to a very old age as long as I can maintain some independence and joy from life. 99 is very old though.

It reminds me of a lovely story I heard on the news recently. Once a person reaches 100 the Queen sends a card and this lady had reached 109 and she had had the same picture on her card every year. She rang the Palace and complained, the next thing she knew Prince William came to visit her to let her know that her complaint was being dealt with. I thought that was a lovely story.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JUNE 19th. BIRTHDAYS

MARISA PAVAN is 77 today

GENA ROWLANDS is 79 today

LOUIS JOURDAN is 90 today

TIM HOVEY (1945 - 1989)

PIER ANGELI (1932 - 1971)

PAT BUTTRAM (1915 - 1994)

MILDRED NATWICK (1905 - 1994)

MOE HOWARD (1897 - 1975)

CHARLES COBURN (1877 - 1961)

DAME MAY WHITTY (1865 - 1948)
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Interesting, Joe, that you split up Marisa Pavan and Pier Angeli. They have the same birthday because they are twins. They look different in these photos, but on film I always had trouble telling them apart -- and they had the same speaking voice, too.

There aren't many adult twins who both had successful film careers, are there? There are actors who were twins, but the other twin was not in the business (Montgomery Clift, for example). It remains to be seen whether the Olsens or the Mowrys will have any kind of film careers other than what they had as juveniles.
charliechaplinfan

Louis Jourdan, sigh.

I never knew Montgomery Clift was a twin, I learn something here everyday :wink:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, I usually list those stars first that are still with us followed by deceased stars in order of birth year.
By the way, Anna Maria Alberghetti often reminded me of the twin sisters.

Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You are so right about Alberghetti, Joe. I had the same confusion myself among the three of them when I was a lass. If Alberghetti wasn't singing, I was never really sure which one she was.