*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by mongoII »

Judith, interesting stuff about the very funny Dick Shawn. He was an original.

Rudyfan, nice image of grease monkey Valentino.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Grand actors Mischa Auer, Billy Gilbert and Basil Rathbone clowning around
Joseph Goodheart
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Peter Pan and Captain Hook sharing a birthday? Wow, I never knew! Happy birthday, Mary Martin and Cyril Ritchard.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Perhaps the dawgs are begging Jayne Mansfield to stop playing? Nahhh.
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

They'd probably be satisfied if she just ditched the wig!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

DECEMBER 2nd. BIRTHDAYS

JULIE HARRIS is 84 today

LEO GORDON (1922 - 2000)

RAY WALSTON (1914 - 2001)

DONALD WOODS (1906 - 1998)

WARREN WILLIAM (1894 - 1948)

FRANK REICHER (1875 - 1965)
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Leo Gordon - once described by none other than Lee Marvin as: "the mother of all hard-cases . ."
A genuine ex-con (or in his words: "a repeat guest of Uncle Sam"), he was hired at one point as a shooting/script consultant for a documentary about Alcatraz . . which he called "My dearest alma mater!"
One critic referred to him as having "a face like a clenched fist", another described his "angry, rattlesnake eyes" . . and I'm sure LG chuckled all the way to the bank. :twisted:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If I may go back a page or two (my Candids for some reason did not show up in my mail for a couple of days) -

Of all the celebrities who have died tragically, for some reason I am still shocked every time I think about Carole Lombard's death at 33. Maybe it's because she was so very full of life and so good-natured? With other stars, you can sometimes see a premonition of death upon them. But with Carole there was none - she just went out quickly and senselessly. I feel sometimes that it just wasn't her time to go, and someone upstairs (Edward Everett Horton?) made a mistake. She stepped around the corner for a minute, and just disappeared.
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: But with Carole there was none - she just went out quickly and senselessly. I feel sometimes that it just wasn't her time to go, and someone upstairs (Edward Everett Horton?) made a mistake. She stepped around the corner for a minute, and just disappeared.
Well put, JF.
For me the right-side "bookend" to that summation was the look in Clark Gable's eyes in that popular pic of him entering active servive as an Army Air Corps officer - Carole's death was just all over his shattered-steel face.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

OUT & ABOUT

IRENE DUNNE

JAMES DEAN

STERLING HAYDEN

BING CROSBY, wife KATHRYN & son HARRY
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

ANNA STEN (1908 - 1993)
Joseph Goodheart
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Fabulous shot of Anna Sten. I've wanted to see Nana again for decades. I saw it when I was a kid on local tv, never again. I liked it and then later read what a drubbing it got and how really bad it was and have wanted to revisit it, in case I'm totally insane.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

JackFavell wrote:Of all the celebrities who have died tragically, for some reason I am still shocked every time I think about Carole Lombard's death at 33. Maybe it's because she was so very full of life and so good-natured? With other stars, you can sometimes see a premonition of death upon them. But with Carole there was none - she just went out quickly and senselessly. ...
Speaking of premonitions, if I recall correctly, Carole's mother was travelling with her. Mom had a premonition about the flight and tried to get Carole to take a different one. Carole was in a hurry to get home to Clark and refused alternatives. Mom followed her own instincts and survived, only to discover that she was right about the original ill-fated flight.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

BOOKWORMS

CLARK GABLE

JUDY GARLAND

ERROL FLYNN

MARILYN MONROE

LAURENCE OLIVIER & JOAN FONTAINE

PAUL HENREID
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
JackFavell wrote:Of all the celebrities who have died tragically, for some reason I am still shocked every time I think about Carole Lombard's death at 33. Maybe it's because she was so very full of life and so good-natured? With other stars, you can sometimes see a premonition of death upon them. But with Carole there was none - she just went out quickly and senselessly. ...
Speaking of premonitions, if I recall correctly, Carole's mother was travelling with her. Mom had a premonition about the flight and tried to get Carole to take a different one. Carole was in a hurry to get home to Clark and refused alternatives. Mom followed her own instincts and survived, only to discover that she was right about the original ill-fated flight.
I thought Carole's mum went with her even though she had a premonition, Carole persuaded her she was being silly and mum joined her. I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that Gable had to arrange funerals for both of them.

JF, I agree with your words totally. Many have the hand of death on them because of inner demons but with Carole there was nothing but fun and a desire to help her country in it's hour of need. So beautiful and talented, I'm sure she'd have made a great character actress.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin