THE MENS ROOM

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

A wonderful picture of the lovely Lena Horne. I wish I had a poster of this for my wall.

Singing in the bathtub

Here’s Lena explaining why her bubble bath scene was pulled from the movie ‘Cabin In The Sky’

Ain't It The Truth
[youtube][/youtube]

A lot has been said and written about the social aspects of this movie, so for what it's worth I'll throw in my own two cents. The movie is patently racist, even if the producers thought they were a giving a 'sympathetic' view of African-Americans, it was still very patronizing. Having said that, there are some great performances in this movie that are a joy to watch.

Does anyone know if Lena's bubble bath scene was restored to the movie for the DVD edition? Amazon doesn't make it clear whether the scene was restored to the movie, or simply included as a special feature?

Best wishes

Metairie Road
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Caught a 35mm print of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST last night.

[youtube][/youtube]

What, you expected Lionel Stander? Maybe he'll be posted in The Women's Room.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

mrsl wrote:CCFan:

In this type of site, disagreements make for fun and entertainment. I look forward to more 'agreeing to disagree' in the future.

I bet we find we also agree on a lot too.

Anne
It makes it all the more fun. :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Little Dewey's first crush: CONNIE STEVENS...
[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Like hundreds of prepubescent boys across the land,
introducing Kiddie ChiO's first crush:

[youtube][/youtube]

She only improved with age.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Me, too. As a pre-teen, I had girl crushes on both of them. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. In fact, I'm probably a better person for it!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Just out of curiosity, who are you talking about? Remember, I can't play those utube things, because they lock up my computer. So I'm being nosey.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Dewey's, as he said, was Connie Stevens. Mine -- Annette Funicello as a very young Mouseketeer.

My first crush was Annette, followed shortly thereafter by Gina Lollobrigida. They were really my only crushes. Sophia Loren -- not a crush; more worshipful. Is there a pattern? As Mrs. ChiO tells me, That's fine, but remember there'd be nothing Italian if it weren't for the Greeks!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Metry_Road wrote:A lot has been said and written about the social aspects of this movie, so for what it's worth I'll throw in my own two cents. The movie is patently racist, even if the producers thought they were a giving a 'sympathetic' view of African-Americans, it was still very patronizing.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to. Was Cabin In The Sky a racial film? Absolutely. Is it racist? I don't particularly see that angle here. The movie actually has more to say about spirituality than race. I look on the film as an extension of Hallelujah! (1929) and Green Pastures (1936). Like Green Pastures, CITS is intentionally comedic, but I don't see the comedy displayed as denigrating or distasteful.
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Metry

You've got the trolley off the track, There's nothing racist about CABIN IN THE SKY,. It depicted life as was during the depression. would you say that every movie with a negro in the cast was racist?

I liked the movie very much because of the cast I had a long time case on Waters from when she was younger and weighed less. ( Am I blue ) I liked anderson. Horrne, Best, moreland, Nicodemus and Butterfly. great cast great movie nothing rascist .... mel3
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, I'll throw in my two cents on the racist issue. Of course, looking back, compared to today's standards, everything was racist. But, at the time it was really a step forward. And, it is actually quite wonderful we have those films. Most of us take them for what they were intended, entertainment. I would liken it to the gay movement. Gays on TV and movies are often protrayed as swishy, limp wristed, fops, or they are druggies or something else undesirable. But, the comedy makes them likeable, so they can move forward. If everyone is aware of you, even if they laugh, the door is at least open for progress. Was a time when blacks and gays couldn't get a break nohow, noway! And, don't even get me started about women and PANTS and the vote and the decline in marriages! Everyone has to start somewhere.

Oh, and ChiO, great line about the Italians and the Greeks! Ha! I have never heard it put so simply!
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Dear Mr. Arkadin, melwalton and Garbomaniac, thanks for your insight. You’ve all given me much to think about.

Arguments can be made for and against both points of view. But it was a product of its time, and for its time it was certainly a step in the right direction.

I see the video of the lovely Lena singing in the bathtub has been removed from YouTube due to a ‘Terms of use’ violation. Sorry about that.

“I guess she’s just jealous ‘cos she ain’t got what I got.” - Georgia Brown

“Quit kiddin’ yourself. Not only have I got everything you got, but a whole lot more” - Petunia Jackson

Best wishes

Metairie Road
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

AND, NOW BACK TO OUR SHOW!

Gail Patrick

Carole Landis

Frances Farmer

Lauren Bacall

Jinx Falkenburg

Myrna Loy

Liz Taylor

Candice Bergen

Catherine Deneuve
melwalton

RACIST

Post by melwalton »

?lh
Last edited by melwalton on January 24th, 2009, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melwalton

racist

Post by melwalton »

Garbo

EVERYTHING was racist ... including LASSIE?