Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Post by JackFavell »

My mother in law just called to ask who the frenchman was in The French Line. I had just gotten home and wasn't watching, so when I turned on the TV, I laughed... Gilbert strikes again! Another woman swooning over him. :D
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Seeing this thread show up again today, I thought I'd go back and catch what I've missed. And got caught up myself in this sideline:
Uh-oh! I think we may be getting a "cease and desist" letter from The Lee Bowman Appreciation Society soon...which should give us another laugh or two.
Oh. Well, get ready to laugh.

( Pulling out the soapbox... )

I ain't what you'd call a card-holding member of the L.B.A.S. The sight of Lee Bowman's name on a cast list doesn't fill me with unbounded joy. I did like him a lot in "Dancing Co-Ed", though, and look forward to seeing his turn in "House By the River", by which a friend of mine was really impressed. Bet I could be, too.

What I don't go for is wholesale dislike. It's so apt to be caught up and carried mindlessly. Not by you, maybe, but perhaps by one or two of the guests I see tabulated under the Who Is Online status bar. "They all think he stinks," muses guest, "so why should I look twice at him?" And then a human life is being undervalued.

Don't bolt the door on Bowman, huh? Please don't ever bolt a door.

Okay. So there's my "cease and desist."

Edited by The Ingenue...I got my Houses mixed up.
Last edited by The Ingenue on June 26th, 2013, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Love what you just said, CarrieLiz/ingenue. Sometimes folks get a tad carried away with their emphatic dislike of an actor, and it might not be universal, but those who do not share that dislike don't speak up. This is still the kinder, gentler place to talk films and actors, thank heavens!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I watched just a little of "Underwater." Was I really hearing Jane Russell attempt an accent? :shock: And Richard Egan with blonde highlights? :shock: And Gilbert Roland sounding more "Mexican bandido" than ever?? :shock: I think I even saw Joseph Calleia with some very dark makeup on.

What in the world... :shock:
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I LOVE Underwater! I don't think Russell purposely has an accent in the film, but I didn't pay any attention at the beginning. I've seen it twice and I just love that movie! Something about the group of actors makes it so much fun to watch... they all have rapport - Russell with Roland, Russell with Egan, Egan and Roland, Lori Nelson with Roland.....etc. I love the scenes where Calleia and Roland are together, though they don't always speak to one another. I feel like these are two old pros who probably met one another at some point and are kind of showing the kids how to relax and take the camera. They all look like they are having a great time, so who cares if it's rubbish or the underwater wreck looks like a miniature? Some of the lines are quick and funny, and it's just fun.

Oh, and Ingenue, I believe I started the dogpile on Lee Bowman, so blame me for admitting that I think he's as exciting as a block of wood. :D At the SSO everyone is extremely kind when discussing our likes and dislikes, it's the most tolerant website I've ever been to, but I think we were all so happy to know that we weren't alone that it started a bit of a feeding frenzy. Hope you understand. :oops:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I also love UNDERWATER too ... it was surprisingly good and the rapport of all the actors/actresses involved was very well received ... It was one of the better films and I just loved the diving aspects and subtle romance as well. Gilbert worked well with anyone on this movie including the sexy Jane Russell.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Wendy, I think you're swell. You all are.

Sounds like I missed a good thing in "Underwater!" Next time.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:I LOVE Underwater! I don't think Russell purposely has an accent in the film, but I didn't pay any attention at the beginning...
You make the movie sound like such fun Wendy. Gilbert Roland walked around without a shirt and a bandana around his neck. What am I kvetching about? I've got to give the movie a shot.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maven, I'm not saying it was great, in fact, it probably qualifies as a Bad Movie I Love :D , but the stars had a lot of fun and seemed to have just the right mix of chutzpah and 'who cares' attitude.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:) .... "I say everybody's right." And get that paycheck.

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Gee, after reading CarrieLiz's eloquent points about Lee Bowman and human life, I hereby pledge to never pick on him again. There are lots worse actors anyway! No offense meant, in all honesty--but, as someone who liked to quote Harry Truman's remarks about heat in the kitchen once pointed out to me, no one made these people be in the movies, did they?

I have to admit that I find Underwater! pretty lame-o dramatically, especially since Gilbert Roland's romantic partner, Lori Nelson, is pretty boring to me, and for the most part, I felt that GR was parodying himself a bit ("but hey, it's a living, chiquita!"). However, Underwater! did further utilize the underwater photography techniques developed for Disney's innovative Richard Fleischer-directed 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a few years before; allowing producer Howard Hughes to find new ways to show Jane Russell's bosom. The bathing suits she and Lori Nelson wore led to oodles of publicity for Hughes (again, right after The French Line almost made the censorship boards in many major cities lose their cool--not to mention billboards like that shown above). It also led to the first underwater premiere of a movie at Silver Springs, Florida, where a then unknown Jayne Mansfield lost the top of her bathing suit...gosh, was that an accident, or what? Jayne is not in sight below at the premiere, but several intrepid reporters seem suitably transfixed by Miss Russell on screen.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Love the neon ad for Underwater! with a floating Jane and the underwater premiere! It fits the cheesy quality of the movie perfectly!

I never said the movie wasn't lame. :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Lame or not--you know that I'll watch anything with Gilbert Roland! There are so many lost silents, obscure talkies and fun flicks with him that I have yet to see. Bob Fells posted this one below on Nitrateville from what looks like the highly romantic Rose of the Golden West (1927) with Mary Astor and GR. He also put up other impressive images from lost silents here.

Speaking of which, I updated my GR playlist today, adding The Plastic Age, Underwater!, Last Train From Madrid, Isle of Missing Men and more:

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Thanks for the lovely picture of Gilbert & Mary....

Now there's another couple I have to add to my query:
Who's more beautiful? -
Tyrone Power or Myrna Loy
Madeleine Carroll or Sterling Hayden
Gilbert Roland or Mary Astor

Such a quandry.....

Larry
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Rose of the Golden West just breaks my heart. I can only hope that somewhere in the outskirts of the Czech Republic (or closer) they will one day find a copy. I can remember poring over silent movie books filled with pictures from this lost classic. The only downside is, if they ever find it, my expectations will be so high that it won't be able to live up to them. :D